Bedrock Bob, that is interesting because sometimes I also shoot better standing up than when I'm kneeling with my elbow resting on my knee.

I always figured I should be shooting better with one arm supported than with no arms supported. At least now I know I'm not the only one.

I have a hypothesis...

Its easier to time the trigger with slower swooping movements you can anticipate han little jumpy ones you can't.

Those little jerky movements as the shot goes off really affect a pellet rifle. You can't time them. You just get it as close as you can, execute a trigger pull and hope for the best.

Even in a full gale you can swing the gun across the dot standing up. 3 out of 5 will be pretty close if you have good trigger control. Your not trying to hold steady on the dot. Your timing your shot as your sights come across the dot.

Instead of the wind blowing you off target it pushes you across the target.

If you have to deal with movement its best not to fight it. Just control it enough to bring the movement across the target and be ready to release a shot when the sight comes across.

That's my theory anyway. You are better able to deal with movement when you are moving. It's all about timing the trigger WITH the movement rather than firing in spite of it.

Last edited:
Are you trying to hold perfectly still or are you squeezing the trigger while doing a pass thru on the target? I have had better results doing the pass thru method.

Yes. I "drive" the gun.

I shoot right handed. So i "drive" to the target from left to right. If I don't time that shot I let it "coast" back from right to left. I'll shoot "driving" or "coasting" the gun. But my "driving" shots time better.

When I see the front bead is coming across I "push" and execute a shot. Rather than coming across the target I try to "push" the movement toward the target. It increases dwell time on the dot as the shot goes off.

I can't "push" a coasting shot. But I'm getting the hang of "pushing" a "driving" shot.

Some guys do figure eights or circles. I just go from low left to high right "driving" and "coasting" until I get an opportunity to time a shot.

Last edited:
I have the same springer, much good advice, yes the basics come first.I always shot offhand until recently. 20 shots are not enough, do 5 shot groups do as many as you can before you get tired or bored,but still enjoy it. I can agree that 25 yards is a bit much at first. Sometimes I think shooting reminds me of bowling, only harder. Keep it fun and keep your goals set.I think it will take hundreds of pellets for each 1/2" better. Fundamentals(y)

Reactions: coastal drifter
Are you trying to hold perfectly still or are you squeezing the trigger while doing a pass thru on the target? I have had better results doing the pass thru method.
I do try to time my trigger pull kind of like with a compound bow. There's a fine line between timing and target panic lol.

Ok let me ask you guys, I'm shooting a minimum of 20 shots unsupported standing at 25 yards. A good number of those are 2 inches and under with a few scattered out to 3-3.5 inches on average. What's an acceptable group size at this distance with Irons?

It's wherever you are at in your development. 2" is a great spot to be on targets. Practice brings that in a lot closer.

Again targets suck because you immortalize misses.

Here is my 25, 35 and 45 targets. I miss a lot. Sometimes wildly. But I can hit better than 50//50 on these.

20240905_171134.jpg

I try not to think much about group size shooting offhand with irons. I focus on hit ratio. It's not so depressing.

Last edited:
Yes. I "drive" the gun.

I shoot right handed. So i "drive" to the target from left to right. If I don't time that shot I let it "coast" back from right to left. I'll shoot "driving" or "coasting" the gun. But my "driving" shots time better.

When I see the front bead is coming across I "push" and execute a shot. Rather than coming across the target I try to "push" the movement toward the target. It increases dwell time on the dot as the shot goes off.

I can't "push" a coasting shot. But I'm getting the hang of "pushing" a "driving" shot.

Some guys do figure eights or circles. I just go from low left to high right "driving" and "coasting" until I get an opportunity to time a shot.
"Timing the shot" is an excellent explanation of how to get the results you want when in an environment of varying stability. When you are driving, you are in control of the shot. Nicely put! Coasting shots are usually done "in retreat and for affect" and do not have the accuracy focus of a driving shot.

I do try to time my trigger pull kind of like with a compound bow. There's a fine line between timing and target panic lol.
That target panic is the destroyer of confidence. I hate the feeling that I might fail. Or I use to, until I realized that I learn more from my failures than I do from my successes. My successes confirm what I know and teach me nothing. I celebrate my failures more now that I know I have more to learn. I'm sure I need help out of this rabbit hole!

• Love
Reactions: Bedrock Bob
"Timing the shot" is an excellent explanation of how to get the results you want when in an environment of varying stability. When you are driving, you are in control of the shot. Nicely put! Coasting shots are usually done "in retreat and for affect" and do not have the accuracy focus of a driving shot.

It's opposite of the way your muscles work.

If I'm "coasting" across the target it works fine. But there is less control and a "coast" does not always come across the dot right. You have less fine control on the path of the bead. "Driving" the shot brings you up really close.

A wind from your "driving" side is difficult. It blows against your muscle control. I like the wind to blow from the "coasting" side. I can control the push of the wind and it actually helps. It slows down my "driving" pass and gives me more time for a shot.

I'm holding it as close as I can to the dot. The "driving" and " coasting" are just controlling the micro movements of the gun.

When shooting an AR fast you "drive" the gun to the shot immediately. No holding on target. That's not what I'm doing. I hold as tight on target as I can. Focus on the bead crosseyed and control the fine wobble by "driving" and "coasting".

The "push" is taking a step forward with your offhand foot IN YOUR MIND. You don't shift your weight or move. You just "think" about a forward step as you initiate the shot. It shifts your balance slightly and allows more dwell time on target. Instead of the bead coming across the target it stalls on target. It gives you a bit more dwell time to time your shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRaccurate
That target panic is the destroyer of confidence. I hate the feeling that I might fail. Or I use to, until I realized that I learn more from my failures than I do from my successes. My successes confirm what I know and teach me nothing. I celebrate my failures more now that I know I have more to learn. I'm sure I need help out of this rabbit hole!

That right there is the biggest obstacle. You have figured it out!

A good offhand shot is entirely stoic about those misses. You learn your lesson and forget it. The next shot is closer. Close is good enough. Better is better and that is a success when trying to control chaos.

Emotions only make you miss more. Even emotions over the hits. Ice cold focus on micro movements and timing the shot are taking up 100% of your brain.

Cross your eyes on the front bead. Your brain will be too busy with that to get involved in self flagellation over that last wild shot.

Pellet zen bro. Find your happy garden in the weeds of movement. A straight path to the dot with enough time to initiate a shot. Wear a trail in the weeds by driving and coasting over them. Take that familiar path back to the dot with every shot.

Why it is important to have the basics down.OK, You got all the basics down, like breathing, comfortable hold, sight picture, trigger pull. Why it has been said to have the basics down first is because the only way to shoot better is to practice! The more you practice, the more your brain becomes familiar with what you are doing, thus it becomes more or less an automatic reflex. What this does is your mind and body work in harmony; after a while,,sometimes a long while, you do not even think about how to shoulder your rifle,it is automatic, same place, same hold every time. That part is taken care of, now comes the sight-picture and trigger pull,truthfully this is where it is not so automatic,the breathing part is, but because I am wobbly I must time my shots between the wobbles; with much practice, you get a good feel of when to pull the trigger....This is where a good to great trigger is important, you should know when and where your trigger finger and trigger become "one" I must go now my ADD has taken over.