Prairie dogs with Condor and slugs

Spent about 2hrs busting prairie dogs yesterday evening.

I tried to edit out most of the gore and dirt dancing.

Interesting to see that in nearly all the shots the slug goes right through them. Sometimes it changes direction and sometimes it continues on the same trajectory (bones).

Because of this slugs tendency to perforate, there are a handful of clips of dead dogs walking. I left a couple intentionally. They'll stagger around for 5-20 feet and then keel over, paws to the sky.

Not every shot is a clean kill. These are pests and reducing their numbers is the goal. Well, my goal is to have fun, but the landowner who granted me permission has the goal of reducing numbers so I shoot as many as I can. In some of the clips, dogs cans be seen running to and fro and there are often multiple dogs in the image. Lots of dogs, nearly infestation level. I've been warring on them at this spot for about 5 years and it doesn't seem to hurt their numbers much. Or if it does, it'd be scary to see how many there were if I hadn't been shooting them.

Just guessing, I'd say most of the shots in the vid are 75-125yards, but there are some as far as 175-180ish, and I think I even left in a 195yard shot.

The slugs used are the NSA .20/18.9grain. The Condor is shooting them @ an average speed of 850fps, making that just a hair over 30fpe at the muzzle. Many might say underpowered but there are houses beyond the brushy hill I'm shooting against, so low power is required here.

You'll notice I'm often not using the exact holdover point suggested by the ballistics program in the PARD DS35. This is due to either shooting into the wind, being under the pressure window for the gun, and most often because the laser rangefinder snagged a piece of brush between me and the intended target so the distance isnt exact.

2 ish hrs condensed into 6 minutes and I don't even know how many prairie dogs....40-50 maybe? Hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed the shooting.

(The annoying clickety click sound is the buttons on the PARD, I suggest watching it without sound).

You got me wanting a 20 in talon for hunting. Just something about not worry about reg that's appealing for a hunting gun

I agree. The simple is kinda refreshing.

I took a 19cf SCUBA tank that I use to fill my low pressure guns and it worked great. Couple times I shot down too low, just having too much fun to realize it til the shots started dropping low.

I agree. The simple is kinda refreshing.

I took a 19cf SCUBA tank that I use to fill my low pressure guns and it worked great. Couple times I shot down too low, just having too much fun to realize it til the shots started dropping low.
I know the shorter barrel not would be a little easier to move around in the woods and less power with the short barrel but will have plenty for squirrels and probably decent shot count before needing to top off.

Kinda like your USFT for FT. One less thing to worry about

Incredible shooting and video! That is some serious long range shooting with .20 light slugs @ 850! My fav shot was the skipped in slug...😂👍. Boy, SO MANY Pdogs...I hope you are all stocked up on those NSA slugs!

Yeah, it's a hoot. Cock and shoot as fast as I can.

Before I found high BC pellets and guns that would shoot them, and even more recently a high performing slug, I was mostly limited to about 100yards. This was with low BC pellets like the .177/10.34. I'd shoot for awhile and then need to move when I ran out of targets. Now that I can reach out there so far I can mostly shoot from the same spot, only moving when I get bored, versus needing to move for more targets.

BC seems to be around 0.08 with these slugs @ 850. It gets as high as 0.1 at 930fps. Just texting with a buddy and ran the numbers for a .25/25.4 pellet @ typical 890, versus these .20/18.9slugs. Depending on exact BCs entered, right around 95-100 yards is where the slugs pull ahead and have more retained energy, despite starting slower and having less mass.

I used about 1/2 a box of the slugs in the two hours. So about 150 slugs for 55ish dead dogs. Editing can make anybody look good. In reality I edited out quite a few of the walked in shots. And walking shots in is often the reality for prairie dogs. Occasionally I'll guess the wind correctly on the first shot, but much more often it take a shot or two before connecting on the 2nd or 3rd shot.

Fun stuff.

Reactions: crittahitta
No need Gerry, Cole hammers them with his beloved caliber the small, but mighty .20 😎

Tony P.

I really do enjoy the small calibers. Less air usage, less "recoil," cheaper ammo, more safety.

My most powerful airgun is a .22 shooting around 52fpe, and bout the only time I use it is for high power/long range field target. It gets shot very little otherwise.

I own airguns in .177, .20, and .22 but if I had to consolidate down to just one caliber, it'd be the .20.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon