Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm FFP IR, ARC-2 MOA

I’ve had this Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm FFP IR, ARC-2 MOA riflescope for at least a year and a half and I settled upon mounting it atop my Huben K1 .22. Crude photo I know, but I was shooting bucket and sticks that day. I think I paid in the $200-$300 range for this scope. I really like the simple illuminated reticle. Numbered hash marks, no center dot, and the entire reticle lights up (save the boxes that sit outside of the crosshairs. I don’t know the correct name for them off the top of my head).I also like that the illumination knob is separate from the parallax knob, although this does limit your range of adjustability to slide the scope back and forth within the mount when mounting it. I am not a turret clicker so I cannot attest to the tracking or tactile feel of the turrets. Once they’re set, I tend to leave them alone. I added the throw lever which I find really helpful for hunting proposes. I think it maybe a cheap Vector Optics lever. I forget. I added it a while ago. The scope lens covers were also added later. Out to 50 yards the image quality looks good to my eyes. I say 50 yards because I had been hunting gray squirrels with this rifle and I’m generally limited in range (around 50-60 yards max) by the terrain that I select. I don’t think I’ve shot beyond 65 yards using this scope. With a max magnification of 14x, the IR really helps when in low-light situations or shooting at darker targets farther out.

IMG_4911.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

This is not a top tier scope, it’s a budget “made in China” scope. I’d compare it to a 4-16x44, FFP Vector Veyron and I prefer the Primary Arms 4-14x44 ARC2 MOA, FFP IR primarily due to the style of reticle and the way that it is illuminated. Now the illumination can be really bright, but there are graduations to avert washout or a sort of glare from reticle’s lighting on the brighter settings. I guess it’s worth mentioning that in addition to the 4-16x Veyron, I also had an Athlon Helos 2-12x mounted on this rifle prior to leaving this Primary Arms scope on it.
IMG_4916.jpeg

Here are some specs
IMG_4919.jpeg

I’ve found that my parallax knob is off some, but it does focus down to 10 yards by the labeling. I don’t recall shooting that close. I may revisit this post when I test it just see how close I can get.

I’d been meaning to post about this scope for a while. Keep in mind I’m not a scope connoisseur, but I’ve tried enough entry-level and mid-tier scopes to have an idea of what I like and what works for my style of hunting. Take what I say for what it’s worth to you.

Last edited:
I don't think it had the slx attached to the name, but it looks basically identical in form, function, and features.

The reticle is fairly fine with an illuminated chevron and a larger horseshoe around it. The horseshoe is very nice for low mag/closer shots where the chevron is reduced down to a tiny dot. The lower portion is very busy with a ton of markings for drop and drift. Most of which goes unused, but it doesn't bother me.

Usually shoot between 20-70 yards with 16gr aa pellets @ 960fps. Zeroed for 35 yards. Just typically hold over or under. Wind is very little where I live, so generally not a concern either.

I just like the clarity of the glass, knobs have positive and crisp action. Illumination has a good range of adjustment. And the reticle is nice, too. But also, I like that it's a 44mm scope. Less weight on the gun as opposed to my 6-24x50. And lower profile.

Only dislike is the placement of the illumination knob. As you stated, reduces flexibility for scope ring placement.

1000011662.jpg

@Long_Gun_Dallas Ahhh I see. The horseshoe chevron reticle. That’s the type of reticle on my Helos 2-12x. I have one of those on an older fixed mag Primary Arms scope as well. Good for quick acquisition shots, but the horseshoe and/or triangle can obscure smaller targets or target areas at a distance - think bird or squirrel sized targets and your POA. This is what I like about the simple crosshair reticles (like the ARC-2 MOA)with no center dot and no break in the center of the crosshairs.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I have the 4-14 mil-dot FFP with no illumination and it is the only FFP I've seen that you can use the reticle for the whole power range. They found the perfect thickness. It has been an excellent scope for me. Lack of illumination can be a problem though, it's not an SLx but it is optically pretty good. I too, have the Athlon Helos 2-12x and because of the circle I can use that for the full range too and it has an IR so I give the nod to that one but the dot might be big for some, depending on what you're doing. I really like it because I can see it so easily. Primary Arms optics are an excellent value though and I am surprised that they are not more popular around here. I think Athlon really got the market share with having so many scopes adjusting down to 10y. I think that is what keeps many of the traditional scope brands from being used, more than anything else, a 10y parallax capability.

I have a Primary Arms 4-14x44 but it has a simple mil dot reticle and no illumination. Like PumaCarl I like the fact the reticle is thick enough I can use it all the way down to 4X if I want to despite the fact that it is FFP. It is not a good target scope because of that somewhat thick reticle but for hunting or plinking it is great. I have it on my P25-25 which is now tuned to shoot JSB 33.95 MKIIs about 800 fps. It is my most powerful PCP and the one I would reach for if another raccoon stops by. It's accurate enough but isn't a great target rifle either. I think they make a good combination.

Reactions: PumaCarl
Today I shot from 10 yards and my Primary Arms 4-14x42 ARC-2 MOA FFP focuses down to 10 yards. The parallax knob will bottom out just below the 10 yard mark. So as far as the 10 yard minimum that is the standard for air gunners, this scope is good to go.

Here’s a quick 19 shots off a bucket using Trigger Sticks bipod at 10 yards.
IMG_4940.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PumaCarl