Primer on slugs?

Been reading a bit here but longtime Powder burner And reloaded. Still learning the pcp game.

I was surprised when I recently joined not to see a primer or sticky on the use of slugs in pcp rifles. I have searched a bit already but welcome more info.

Are they more accurate than traditional pellets?
What/how much interference is needed in these air gun barrels (od of the slug vs Id of barrel)? Is this more trial and error testing?
Do they retain higher b.c. Down range compared to. Traditional pellet?
what about barrel cleaning? More often needed with slugs?

Thanks for any info. I’ll be running the notos soon.

In general, slugs are more accurate at further distance than traditional pellets (diabolo) but with some exceptions. Yes, they retain higher bc. Barrel needs cleaning more frequently with slugs than with pellets in general. As far as od of slug & id of barrel, there are a lot of prior posts regarding this topic if you research it here. I mentioned "in general" a couple times as there's no definitive answer, depending on what gun, ammo, fps, etc. In general this is MY experience, YMMV

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I will say that if you are not shooting over 100 yards why shoot Slugs, I see a lot of post where people are shooting slugs at 30 35 or 50 yards , I ask why.
My 10 PCP guns are pellet guns , I did tune my Prophet #1 to shoot the Peanut 22 caliber slugs and it shoots them good, Not as accurate as a pellet but still sparrow killing good, Now 99.9 % of my shooting is 50 yards or less, It just makes no sense to me to shoot slugs at 100 yards or less , The pellet is still king , The wind oh the wind , I live in West Texas I no about the wind , Past 30 mph winds I put my air guns up, 30mph and below I keep my shots to 35 yards and don't expect pellet on pellet,
Mike

If you can find slugs that get equal or close to accuracy of pellets, they do have an advantage of due to the better BC of less drift, drop and more energy at the target even at ranges less than 100 yards. However the gains are marginal at shorter distances, but still are significant in most cases at 50 yards. The downsides is that it can be a PITA in time and money chasing your tail to find the slugs that are as good as pellets. If you manage to find the magic slugs, the cost per shot is much higher. A case can even be made for short distances if you need higher FPE. If you gun is capable heavy slugs can be driven to FPE that pellets cannot match.

Been reading a bit here but longtime Powder burner And reloaded. Still learning the pcp game.

I was surprised when I recently joined not to see a primer or sticky on the use of slugs in pcp rifles. I have searched a bit already but welcome more info.

Are they more accurate than traditional pellets?
What/how much interference is needed in these air gun barrels (od of the slug vs Id of barrel)? Is this more trial and error testing?
Do they retain higher b.c. Down range compared to. Traditional pellet?
what about barrel cleaning? More often needed with slugs?

Thanks for any info. I’ll be running the notos soon.
@Nighthawk320 I don't understand your question. What sort of primer are you speaking of and what would its purpose be? There is a lot of info on the AGN forums about airgun slugs. A lot of opinions too. Enough info posted to easily keep you reading AGN posts for a day or two. My reading suggests that airgun slugs can be more accurate than pellets at longer distances (exceeding 100 yards). Also an advantage in accuracy is not the only reason some airgunners elect to shoot slugs from their airguns. Do you intend to shoot slugs from a Notos?

@Nighthawk320 I don't understand your question. What sort of primer are you speaking of and what would its purpose be? There is a lot of info on the AGN forums about airgun slugs. A lot of opinions too. Enough info posted to easily keep you reading AGN posts for a day or two. My reading suggests that airgun slugs can be more accurate than pellets at longer distances (exceeding 100 yards). Also an advantage in accuracy is not the only reason some airgunners elect to shoot slugs from their airguns. Do you intend to shoot slugs from a Notos?
i’m wondering what’s “primer” is too…

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Knifemaker had a good synopsis over at GTA's website. He had repeatable success. His process involved really getting involved and slugging and making your own slugs. There seems to be no easy consistent path for all guns and barrels yet. You either test and get lucky, or make your own. If you ask what's working well with a particular gun, and you get some similar answers, then there's your place to start. Good luck!