FX Problem with FX CF Sleeves

I ordered a CF sleeve for my .22 600mm Impact Barrel and it doesn't fit in the Barrel Housing. Has anyone else run into this? I contacted the vendor, who immediately sent me another one and it doesn't fit either! The Barrel Liner fits fine inside the CF Sleeve, but the CF Sleeve is too large to fit in the steel Barrel Housing.

I measured both CF Sleeves I received and the outside diameter of the sleeve varies from 11.72mm at one end to 12mm at the other. The second measured 11.93mm at one end and 11.97mm at the other. The inside diameter of the steel Barrel Housing measures 11.66mm!

I have these CF Sleeves on other barrels and had no problems with them fitting at all. Everything else on the .22 barrel fits just fine, so I suspect maybe a bad batch of .22 CF Sleeves were sent to vendors. Just curious if anyone else has received a .22 600mm CF sleeve that did not fit in their Barrel Housing? Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Firewalker
I ordered a CF sleeve for my .22 600mm Impact Barrel and it doesn't fit in the Barrel Housing. Has anyone else run into this? I contacted the vendor, who immediately sent me another one and it doesn't fit either! The Barrel Liner fits fine inside the CF Sleeve, but the CF Sleeve is too large to fit in the steel Barrel Housing.

I measured both CF Sleeves I received and the outside diameter of the sleeve varies from 11.72mm at one end to 12mm at the other. The second measured 11.93mm at one end and 11.97mm at the other. The inside diameter of the steel Barrel Housing measures 11.66mm!

I have these CF Sleeves on other barrels and had no problems with them fitting at all. Everything else on the .22 barrel fits just fine, so I suspect maybe a bad batch of .22 CF Sleeves were sent to vendors. Just curious if anyone else has received a .22 600mm CF sleeve that did not fit in their Barrel Housing? Thanks for the help.

I found this as well on my Maverick Sniper, I chucked the barrel up to check run-out and marked the barrel where it got bigger and smaller.

Lo-and-behold, the profile was exactly the same as my 6" vice jaws....

Your barrel may be different but I sure found my issue.

Reactions: FLgunner
Modifying my Maverick with a DIY sleeve made up of 3 CF pipes, i had to sand the 2 smallest of them to fit inside each other and the outer one, but the inner CF pipe fit nice on the outside of the barrel pipe / barrel housing with a suction fit.

Of course that was DIY VS what should be a bolt on fit from a big brand, it seem like you have a little sanding to do.

My pipes was clear coated CF pipe, and the coat was what did the difference, when that was removed the pipes fit inside each other very nice.
If the FC pipe have a clear coat that is probably the problem. it should have been a uncoated pipe.

I found this as well on my Maverick Sniper, I chucked the barrel up to check run-out and marked the barrel where it got bigger and smaller.

Lo-and-behold, the profile was exactly the same as my 6" vice jaws....

Your barrel may be different but I sure found my issue.
I have not check the full length of my Barrel Housing to see if it's the same the entire length. I only have a set of digital calipers, so will have to check various points along the outside of the Barrel Housing to see if it's the same dimensions and round the entire length. Just curious, were you able to resolve the issue and if so, how?

Modifying my Maverick with a DIY sleeve made up of 3 CF pipes, i had to sand the 2 smallest of them to fit inside each other and the outer one, but the inner CF pipe fit nice on the outside of the barrel pipe / barrel housing with a suction fit.

Of course that was DIY VS what should be a bolt on fit from a big brand, it seem like you have a little sanding to do.

My pipes was clear coated CF pipe, and the coat was what did the difference, when that was removed the pipes fit inside each other very nice.
If the FC pipe have a clear coat that is probably the problem. it should have been a uncoated pipe.
It doesn't look like it has a coating, it's a Matte finish, but I guess that's probably not a good indicator. I don't have a lathe or other fancy machining equipment, so what would be the best [easiest] way to sand the CF Sleeve?

Reactions: Peashooter
I just used pieces of sand paper and then went to town on the pipes, like a young boy would do thinking about the neighbours pretty daughter.

Have to be careful with CF dust though, that's not nice stuff to breathe in, i suppose you could wet sand with coarser paper than you would use sanding a car.
I just did it outside with the wind in the back, and wearing a corona mask

you can still see my sanding on the left over pipe.

CF pipe.jpg

You of course have to pause now and then to make sure you are not taking off too much, so the pipe fit nice and snug inside the barrel housing.

I just used pieces of sand paper and then went to town on the pipes, like a young boy would do thinking about the neighbours pretty daughter.

Have to be careful with CF dust though, that's not nice stuff to breathe in, i suppose you could wet sand with coarser paper than you would use sanding a car.

View attachment 498283

You of course have to pause now and then to make sure you are not taking off too much, so the pipe fit nice and snug inside the barrel housing.
Why is carbon fiber dust “bad”?

It is like breathing in little needles, sort of the same deal with Asbestos and so on.
But yeah otherwise we humans breathe in a lot of crud over a lifetime, even if you are not working in a coal mine.
but most things we cough right up again,,,,,, there is also a reason we have snot, it is a crud capture devise, which you will see if you have really been breathing in something.

Same with the strands of glass that make up a fiber optic cable,,,,, you dont really want to stab that into you often, as i understand they can travle the body and might end up in a unwanted place.

When i had fiber put into my house like 20 years ago,,,, the tec that came was adamant i did not touch the stuff, but putting the plastic cable in the ground from the street to the house wall, well that back breaking job i was welcome to do.

Reactions: Frozenspyder
Thanks for the replies. I’m a chemist and was thinking of the chemical reasons. Carbon will oxidize(burn) eventually. You don’t want a LOT of it in your lungs, though. The epoxy that binds the carbon fiber can be a bit toxic if unreacted parts ( epoxy or hardener) are present.
I hadn’t thought about the physical shapes being an issue like asbestos, which is fibrous. Chemically, asbestos and talcs are similar. But, they are different physically. Talcs can be plate like or needle like. EPA and OSHA ruled talcs as carcinogens but I don’t believe it was scientifically or clinically based.
Sorry for being long winded! Was just trying to better understand the reasoning…..

Reactions: BABz58

View attachment 498283

Not sure I needed that visual... Or, maybe I did because it worked! I used wet/dry sandpaper held with a damp towel [to capture the dust] and went to town! I do believe there was a coating because it didn't take much before it slid into the Barrel Housing. It's on the Liner and in the barrel now, so that job's done! Thank you for all the replies and assistance!

@Patrick1
Well toxins are by far the biggest group of dangerous stuff to breathe in or in other ways ingest, i have sailed on product tankers with stuff, like several Olympic pool size tanks full of stuff, that almost give you cancer just pronouncing the name of the damn stuff.
Also some things turn nasty, so some plastic burning give off acid,,,, and as a fire fighter or for that matter a onlooker to a fire you do not want to breathe acid.

I was big on chemistry as i kid, back then in the 70ties, well kids got chemistry sets, so i whipped up all kinds of stuff, and later stuff, that we had to get the recipe for in suspect American literature we had to import to Denmark,,, CUZ this was way before the internet.
Stuff that writing the name will have men in a black cube in Maryland sit up and go HELLO ! What do we have here.
Okay maybe not men but then some algorithm.

Yeah CF look cool and all mellow, but if you do not treat it right, it will bite you in the ass.
Coming out od a family of macons going back decades / generations, well i have seen what allergies can do to people, and not forgetting the poor bastards that just worked them self into a early grave.

Which i also did myself, there is a reason i got early retirement at the age of 50, i worked too hard and dident look out for myself like i should have.

Reactions: coastal drifter
I've had them get tighter on the way in which ment there was no way it was coming back out never heard or seen 2 in a row that don't fit
Yea, that's just my dumb luck! But, thanks the help I got here, it's in now, so all is good in the airgun world... Mine anyway!

that's interesting that the CF sleeve doesn't even fit the stock barrel without sanding it down, which is unacceptable IMO, i wonder if freezing the CF sleeve would make it shrink just enough to fit into a warm barrel housing?
I think it has to do with lack of QC on the final product, after the application of the coating. Based on the fact the diameter on one end was larger than the other, on both sleeves, tells me they are probably dipped in the coating in a vertical orientation and allowed to dry, with gravity pulling the coating downward as they dry. This is probably done prior to them being cut to specific lengths, so depending on how long the original dipped sleeve is and how many individual sleeves are cut from each piece, I can see where the top 1 or 2 could have smaller diameters and then incrementally increasing as they get toward the bottom. If these are lumped into a batch that gets sent to the vendor, it's really just a crap shoot as to if you get one of the top pieces or one of the bottom pieces! In my case, I think I got 2 that were at or close to the bottom, since just sanding off the coating reduced the diameter enough to fit into the Barrel Housing.