FX Problem with FX CF Sleeves

Thanks for the replies. I’m a chemist and was thinking of the chemical reasons. Carbon will oxidize(burn) eventually. You don’t want a LOT of it in your lungs, though. The epoxy that binds the carbon fiber can be a bit toxic if unreacted parts ( epoxy or hardener) are present.
I hadn’t thought about the physical shapes being an issue like asbestos, which is fibrous. Chemically, asbestos and talcs are similar. But, they are different physically. Talcs can be plate like or needle like. EPA and OSHA ruled talcs as carcinogens but I don’t believe it was scientifically or clinically based.
Sorry for being long winded! Was just trying to better understand the reasoning…..
To your point on Talcs, a few million of us and our mothers breathed in that stuff for quite a few months, personally I'm still good to go after 7.7 decades, lungs are clear, and that despite working in a grinding shop with tungsten carbide and aluminum oxide among other crud. Now fiberglass, I'll pass on that stuff.

To your point on Talcs, a few million of us and our mothers breathed in that stuff for quite a few months, personally I'm still good to go after 7.7 decades, lungs are clear, and that despite working in a grinding shop with tungsten carbide and aluminum oxide among other crud. Now fiberglass, I'll pass on that stuff.
Well! We are the same age and I quit smoking more than 40 years ago. It coincided with the birth of my son.
It’s interesting that the largest portion of deaths from asbestos were from those who also smoked. No, I am NOT saying asbestos was not part of the cause, at all! Clearly, the combination was deadly!

I just used pieces of sand paper and then went to town on the pipes, like a young boy would do thinking about the neighbours pretty daughter.

Have to be careful with CF dust though, that's not nice stuff to breathe in, i suppose you could wet sand with coarser paper than you would use sanding a car.
I just did it outside with the wind in the back, and wearing a corona mask

you can still see my sanding on the left over pipe.

View attachment 498283

You of course have to pause now and then to make sure you are not taking off too much, so the pipe fit nice and snug inside the barrel housing.
That’s one F Ed up kid that needs some huge therapy and probably a doctor if he’s using sandpaper. Damn.

It doesn't look like it has a coating, it's a Matte finish, but I guess that's probably not a good indicator. I don't have a lathe or other fancy machining equipment, so what would be the best [easiest] way to sand the CF Sleeve?
Chuck the sleeve up in a drill (corded or cordless) and get some sand paper, 220 grit outta do it. wrap the sand paper around the CF Sleeve and spin the drill while moving the sand paper up and down the CF Sleeve until it fits. I suggest you wear gloves and a mask.

I ordered some CF sleeves from ua and put them in a couple m4's a week a ago. they fit perfect. 25's.
I've actually never had that happen to me, but it sounds like my luck, usually.
Sorry to hear that happened to you.
The sleeves I ordered for the .25 and .30 M4 barrels fit fine, it was only the .22 that didn't fit, and I got 2 that didn't fit. Funny thing is, one of them (that was not sanded) fit my DRS barrel just fine, but doesn't fit the M4 barrel. You would think the barrel housings would all be the same size regardless of caliber, but I'm thinking the .22 M4 barrel housing must be a little off.

The sleeves I ordered for the .25 and .30 M4 barrels fit fine, it was only the .22 that didn't fit, and I got 2 that didn't fit. Funny thing is, one of them (that was not sanded) fit my DRS barrel just fine, but doesn't fit the M4 barrel. You would think the barrel housings would all be the same size regardless of caliber, but I'm thinking the .22 M4 barrel housing must be a little off.
That's interesting, that would be my assumption as well.
I haven't ever owned a 177 or a 22 cal anything from FX. I only do 25's and 30's. I like the 25's the most.

Thanks for the replies. I’m a chemist and was thinking of the chemical reasons. Carbon will oxidize(burn) eventually. You don’t want a LOT of it in your lungs, though. The epoxy that binds the carbon fiber can be a bit toxic if unreacted parts ( epoxy or hardener) are present.
I hadn’t thought about the physical shapes being an issue like asbestos, which is fibrous. Chemically, asbestos and talcs are similar. But, they are different physically. Talcs can be plate like or needle like. EPA and OSHA ruled talcs as carcinogens but I don’t believe it was scientifically or clinically based.
Sorry for being long winded! Was just trying to better understand the reasoning…..
I just now noticed this post. The carbon that is the carbon fiber is from acrilic yarn that gets exposed over a series of ovens set at higher and high temps. I believe the final temperature is around 1800f. There will be no oxidation happening after that. When it ends up in your lungs it don't leave very easily and it won't break down. The resin will but not the fiber.

Reactions: Patrick1
I just now noticed this post. The carbon that is the carbon fiber is from acrilic yarn that gets exposed over a series of ovens set at higher and high temps. I believe the final temperature is around 1800f. There will be no oxidation happening after that. When it ends up in your lungs it don't leave very easily and it won't break down. The resin will but not the fiber.
Great post! I wasn’t aware of this. I thought all carbon could be oxidized…..still don’t understand the chemistry of this, though!
Must be heated in atmosphere without oxygen. Can diamonds burn, though?