N/A Pumper Education

I am a relative newcomer to adult airguns and in the past several months have migrated from pcp rifle, to springers, to all manner of pistols, to CO2 rifles, to single pump rifles, and now to a multi pumper, my favorite of them all to this point. My current is a Seneca Dragonfly II and I love it. Today I have removed the scope I put on initially and installed a Williams peep. I plan on some extensive range time this morning. But, I am already shopping for another multipump.

Two recent threads on pumpers have stimulated my interest in vintage pumpers. Particularly any with very good accuracy, relatively light weight, wood stock, and reasonable pumping effort for the lower power range. I don't need power, just accuracy and general rifle goodness (balance, looks, trigger, smoothness, etc.). Sheridans and early Crosmans get mentioned a lot on AGN, so I have been looking at those and immediately ran into a couple of problems.

First, I don't know anything about vintage pumpers so I don't know which ones would be a good choice, and I don't know how to determine if one is in good condition mechanically. Second, I am not handy and need one that is in excellent working order, and which would have extensive working life left without repair. I am retired and don't play golf and I shoot a high volume of shots every day, so I don't need anything dainty.

Mr. Google has not given me any clarity on these issues. I did find several online stores that sell vintage airguns, but I have no idea which, if any stores are reliable or, as I mentioned, which rifles I should be looking at.

Is there some book, or blog, or article someone can steer me to that would educate me enough to shop for a suitable rifle?

Is there a short list of classic, generally well-regarded vintage pumpers someone can just list for me?

Is there a professional vintage pumper shopper who can do my shopping for me? (Kidding . . . sorta)

I am a relative newcomer to adult airguns and in the past several months have migrated from pcp rifle, to springers, to all manner of pistols, to CO2 rifles, to single pump rifles, and now to a multi pumper, my favorite of them all to this point. My current is a Seneca Dragonfly II and I love it. Today I have removed the scope I put on initially and installed a Williams peep. I plan on some extensive range time this morning. But, I am already shopping for another multipump.

Two recent threads on pumpers have stimulated my interest in vintage pumpers. Particularly any with very good accuracy, relatively light weight, wood stock, and reasonable pumping effort for the lower power range. I don't need power, just accuracy and general rifle goodness (balance, looks, trigger, smoothness, etc.). Sheridans and early Crosmans get mentioned a lot on AGN, so I have been looking at those and immediately ran into a couple of problems.

First, I don't know anything about vintage pumpers so I don't know which ones would be a good choice, and I don't know how to determine if one is in good condition mechanically. Second, I am not handy and need one that is in excellent working order, and which would have extensive working life left without repair. I am retired and don't play golf and I shoot a high volume of shots every day, so I don't need anything dainty.

Mr. Google has not given me any clarity on these issues. I did find several online stores that sell vintage airguns, but I have no idea which, if any stores are reliable or, as I mentioned, which rifles I should be looking at.

Is there some book, or blog, or article someone can steer me to that would educate me enough to shop for a suitable rifle?

Is there a short list of classic, generally well-regarded vintage pumpers someone can just list for me?

Is there a professional vintage pumper shopper who can do my shopping for me? (Kidding . . . sorta)
everyone "takes the chance" on a used item . yes even people like me that have some knowledge . But their are people that do work on older pumpers .
I am also retired (78 +)with limited know how to repair Air guns . and even less courage hahaha
My advice is to take it easy . Lots of help here on AGN
Stan in KY.

A properly maintained quality pumper will go a very long time without needing to be re-sealed. (My Sheridan is almost sixty and it's never needed any work.) That includes the old Crosmans, Benjamins and Sheridans. Unless they've been abused by over-pumping, all they really need is proper lubrication.

Cheers,

J~

Had some success with EBAY and on Gunbroker. Figure in $140 extra (Dennis Baker costs plus $20 each way for shipping) for a reseal as some sellers either don't test or fudge the condition. Had some success on American Airgun classifieds but none here as not too many pumpers sold on this forum. Many overprice theirs so be careful. Get chrono numbers if you can. Buy from those that take credit cards if you can so you can refuse charges if scammed. I have bought from Baker Airguns and absolutely you will get what he advertises but I find his prices on the high side. My choices for vintage pumpers.

1. Sheridan Blue or Silver Streak (probably most accurate and second to the highest cost)
2. Benjamin 312, 342 or 317
3. Smith and Wesson 79A (rare and probably the highest cost). Not as accurate as a Sheridan
3. crossman 140 or 1400.
4. crossman 760 or 761XL (wood stock and forearm)
4. Daisy 880 with metal cocking lever and metal receiver sides (this does have plastic stock but the vintage ones are fairly cheap, Mine is very accurate and easy to pump)
5. No experience with the older crossmans than the 140. Also I believe Daisy and crossman have later plastic versions of 22 cal pellet guns.

"Do you have a particular caliber in mind? Is there a caliber you don’t want?"

Yes Dan, I want a .177 but would also like a .22. Nothing else interests me.

The Benjamin 392P/397P were briefly made in 1991 for a couple years. Fantastic quality. Made in Racine Wisconsin. Then Crosman bought Benjamin and moved the plant to NY. Then became 392PA/397PA. Still good quality but as Crosman does, over time quality went down hill. If you look, you can find one. They are easy to rebuild also. $30 kit and easy install. Good for decades. IMHO

Reactions: Bandito and sjs
I found three of my Sheridans by doing internet search for sheridan airgun or pellet gun, for sale?

A 1972 Silverstreak for $80 on Facebook Market place. A project gun to learn on.

A 1955 Bluestreak from a pawn shop in Oklahoma. Saying it needed seals $199. + 15 SH
It only needed a pump plunger. I was shooting it in 15 minutes.

A 1965 Bluestreak that has needed nothing but pellets. From a pawn shop in North Carolina. $199 + 8.50 SH.

So $199 must be the going pawn shop rate?
20230714_165717.jpg

I found three of my Sheridans by doing internet search for sheridan airgun or pellet gun, for sale?

A 1972 Silverstreak for $80 on Facebook Market place. A project gun to learn on.

A 1955 Bluestreak from a pawn shop in Oklahoma. Saying it needed seals $199. + 15 SH
It only needed a pump plunger. I was shooting it in 15 minutes.

A 1965 Bluestreak that has needed nothing but pellets. From a pawn shop in North Carolina. $199 + 8.50 SH.

So $199 must be the going pawn shop rate?View attachment 447427
Sadly, he's looking for .177 or .22, not .20. Shame really since the older Sheridan Blue and Silver Streak rifles are very arguably some of the best multi pump rifles ever made. Light weight, accurate, easy to pump and for anything out to 30 yards, only 3 to 4 pumps are needed. They can also be set up with peep sights or even scoped should someone want to.

Yes, I owned 2 HW30's and an HW97K. Great rifles but an eye injury forced me to go to totally recoil free rifles. Even the tiny recoil impulse of the HW30 was ruled out by my Dr.

That's a bummer.

I see that you're in SC. If you're close to western NC, you are more than welcome to stop by here and try my Sheridan and old Crosmans.

Cheers,

J~

Sadly, he's looking for .177 or .22, not .20. Shame really since the older Sheridan Blue and Silver Streak rifles are very arguably some of the best multi pump rifles ever made. Light weight, accurate, easy to pump and for anything out to 30 yards, only 3 to 4 pumps are needed. They can also be set up with peep sights or even scoped should someone want to.

I agree 👍
If you still shoot one, try two rotations of up on the elevation screw and 7-8 pumps, and you'll be shooting cans at 75 yards, if your sighted at 30y with 4 pumps anyway..It has some thump, and you'll be surprised how fast that .20 gets down there.
My purpose having 30 and 75 yard range is to shoot at either with the same gun accurately.

Going off on a tangent here, but if you miss your springers consider a vintage Diana "Giss system" target rifle - recoilless actions with two pistons moving in opposite directions. Models 60, 65, 66 barrel-cockers and 75 sidelever used this action. Complex guns that are hard to rebuild but really special to shoot.

When correctly set up, these guns are absolutely, 100%, totally free of recoil. They just go CHUNK and a hole appears in the target. Beautifully made and finished, spectacularly accurate, and great triggers. My personal fave is the model 60 which is the smallest and lightest, but they are all excellent.

IMG_3409.jpeg

Last edited:
Going off on a tangent here, but if you miss your springers consider a vintage Diana "Giss system" target rifle - recoilless actions with two pistons moving in opposite directions. Models 60, 65, 66 barrel-cockers and 75 sidelever used this action. Complex guns that are hard to rebuild but really special to shoot.

When correctly set up, these guns are absolutely, 100%, totally free of recoil. They just go CHUNK and a hole appears in the target. Beautifully made and finished, spectacularly accurate, and great triggers. My personal fave is the model 60 which is the smallest and lightest, but they are all excellent.

View attachment 447754
Sold!

Ive
Had some success with EBAY and on Gunbroker. Figure in $140 extra (Dennis Baker costs plus $20 each way for shipping) for a reseal as some sellers either don't test or fudge the condition. Had some success on American Airgun classifieds but none here as not too many pumpers sold on this forum. Many overprice theirs so be careful. Get chrono numbers if you can. Buy from those that take credit cards if you can so you can refuse charges if scammed. I have bought from Baker Airguns and absolutely you will get what he advertises but I find his prices on the high side. My choices for vintage pumpers.

1. Sheridan Blue or Silver Streak (probably most accurate and second to the highest cost)
2. Benjamin 312, 342 or 317
3. Smith and Wesson 79A (rare and probably the highest cost). Not as accurate as a Sheridan
3. crossman 140 or 1400.
4. crossman 760 or 761XL (wood stock and forearm)
4. Daisy 880 with metal cocking lever and metal receiver sides (this does have plastic stock but the vintage ones are fairly cheap, Mine is very accurate and easy to pump)
5. No experience with the older crossmans than the 140. Also I believe Daisy and crossman have later plastic versions of 22 cal pellet guns.

No love for the Benjamin Franklin 312? Gotta love those tootsie roll pump handles!

Reactions: beerthief

View attachment 447754
Yep got one!

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3962.jpeg

IMG_3963.jpeg