HW/Weihrauch Quality Springer observation.

So like many of us here. I started off with a Gamo Break barrell which I still like and shoot often. Then a Hatsan that broke after 30 shots. Then a couple more Gamo’s

Meanwhile seeing all the threads on “Quality Springers and the common saying of “you don’t know until you shoot one”
So I just HAD to know” lol
So I got a HW95n Field Pro. Had it tuned.

And the biggest thing I’ve noticed besides the obvious quality of the springer.
Is when I miss my aim point. I know right away that it was me that caused the flyer. Instantly!
With my other break barrels. I always have tended to blame the pellet for being a flyer.
Now I can easily tell when it’s me. And sadly….. it’s usually me😂😂

Anyone else with a Quality springer noticed this?

Last edited:
I just got up and counted, 17 air rifles. I started out with quality, a FWB 124D 49 years ago. All are very accurate, The easiest to shoot is a model that is not very popular, a couple of HW 57's the underlever with the pop up breech block. When I bought them they had been tuned and are very smooth. Cocking effort is the lightest of any I have.

I just got up and counted, 17 air rifles. I started out with quality, a FWB 124D 49 years ago. All are very accurate, The easiest to shoot is a model that is not very popular, a couple of HW 57's the underlever with the pop up breech block. When I bought them they had been tuned and are very smooth. Cocking effort is the lightest of any I have.
HW 57's have always intrigued me , guess i will have to try one now .

So like many of us here. I started off with a Gamo Break barrell which I still like and shoot often. Then a Hatsan that broke after 30 shots. Then a couple more Gamo’s

Meanwhile seeing all the threads on “Quality Springers and the common saying of “you don’t know until you shoot one”

Is when I miss my aim point. I know right away that it was me that caused the flyer. Instantly!
With my other break barrels. I always have tended to blame the pellet for being a flyer.

Oh it's me.
The journey took awhile (10 years? or more? I know, I'm a masochist). I was blaming anything and everything...Scope, action/spring/seals, pellet, stock, stock screws, wind, rain, elevation, humidity, moon, tide, air pollution. It's frustrating trouble shooting a bouncy springer when so many things can and do go wrong (sometimes)

Till I finally ran out of excuses and had to look in the mirror. IT WAS ME.

Springers will punish you with a miss if you don't hold the gun right, don't touch/pull the trigger right, don't follow thru. What's so frustrating is that you need to do it the same way each and every time.

It demands almost Perfect positional/hold, Perfect follow thru and Perfect trigger control before rewarding you.

These things that you do are so subtle, unless you really slow down and concentrate, you won't hear what they are trying to tell you. If you do slow down, you might hear what they are trying to say (balance me this way, don't flinch, hold still, steady pressure on the trigger...and on and on).
--
TX200 with a Tony Leach kit
Sightron scope

Last edited:
Oh it's me.
The journey took awhile (10 years? or more? I know, I'm a masochist). I was blaming everything...Scope, action/spring/seals, pellet, stock, stock screws, wind, rain, elevation, humidity, moon, tide, air pollution. It's frustrating trouble shooting a bouncy springer when so many things can and do go wrong (sometimes)

Finally had to look in the mirror. IT WAS ME.

Springers will punish you with a miss if you don't hold the gun right, don't touch/pull the trigger right, don't follow thru. What's so frustrating is that you need to do it the same way each and every time.

It demands almost Perfect positional/hold, Perfect follow thru and Perfect trigger control before rewarding you.
And this is why shooting a springer is so rewarding while being frustrating at times.

I find the whole process very Zen. Cock it, load it, saftey off, sight it, breathe, hold and squeeze.
And then I cuss or smile widely lol

Last edited:

Yes, absolutely. I am the weakest link in the chain, and with my HW or AA spring guns, accuracy always reappears when I do my part.
R

Reactions: BABz58
Yes, absolutely. I am the weakest link in the chain, and with my HW or AA spring guns, accuracy always reappears when I do my part.
R
An Air Arms will be my next purchase. Just not sure which model. But I’m going to try my hand at .20 with the next one. Probably limits my options.

I like both ends of the spectrum.

I can shoot 200-250 an evening now that the desert is cooling off. That's a lot of wear and tear on any spring gun. I hate to put that kind of mileage on the HW95 or the HW97. My D34 has been rebuilt 3 times so far (about 60k shots I expect) and it's "semi retired".

They are all awesome rifles that shoot smoothly and accurately. All of them scope mounted. I'll shoot 40-50 shots a day through one or the other. Each one a joy to behold.

The Hatsan clan gets the abuse. At least 150 a day offhand iron sights. I have 3 running now and rotate when one breaks. I've had good luck keeping them running lately. I don't hit as often with the Hatsans but almost.

They sound like a backhoe bucket loading gravel. They will jump off your shoulder, do a quarter turn and flop their ears like a dog. But you can still hit a golf ball 3 out of five shots @ 60 yards. So they make good cheap practice.

The quality rifles are head and shoulders above the Hatsans in every respect. The Hatsans are teaching tools and it is my opinion that they are an economical alternative in my situation.

Can you shoot better with an HW95 than a Hatsan 95? ABSOLUTELY! The difference in the guns are huge. But as a teaching tool at my point in the learning curve an inexpensive rifle excels.

I like both ends of the spectrum.

I can shoot 200-250 an evening now that the desert is cooling off. That's a lot of wear and tear on any spring gun. I hate to put that kind of mileage on the HW95 or the HW97. My D34 has been rebuilt 3 times so far (about 60k shots I expect) and it's "semi retired".

They are all awesome rifles that shoot smoothly and accurately. All of them scope mounted. I'll shoot 40-50 shots a day through one or the other. Each one a joy to behold.

The Hatsan clan gets the abuse. At least 150 a day offhand iron sights. I have 3 running now and rotate when one breaks. I've had good luck keeping them running lately. I don't hit as often with the Hatsans but almost.

They sound like a backhoe bucket loading gravel. They will jump off your shoulder, do a quarter turn and flop their ears like a dog. But you can still hit a golf ball 3 out of five shots @ 60 yards. So they make good cheap practice.

The quality rifles are head and shoulders above the Hatsans in every respect. The Hatsans are teaching tools and it is my opinion that they are an economical alternative in my situation.

Can you shoot better with an HW95 than a Hatsan 95? ABSOLUTELY! The difference in the guns are huge. But as a teaching tool at my point in the learning curve an inexpensive rifle excels.
I need to find a good rebuild video for my Hatsan Mod95. It makes an awful grinding noise when cocking it. Guessing it’s the normal for this gun Gauling issue that MANY. Experience.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
It's only a problem if it bothers you!

Honestly it's probably burrs in the slot grinding against the cocking shoe. Down by the trigger it gets rough. It could be anything though.

They aren't worth fixing. Only $129 bucks new. And they are a mess to disassemble. So I usually don't bother.

I have shot past a lot of gritty cocking problems. A few drops of silicone oil and a cheery outlook helps. It either gets better or they stop working all together.

I have had several that were real winners. A bunch that were real loosers. They are an excellent rifle poorly executed.

The HW95 is pretty close to the perfect springer IMHO. I just can't stand there and pump 200 rounds a day through it and not feel bad about it. That Hatsan allows me to shoot as much as I want and not feel like I'm committing pellet gun abuse.

Honestly it's probably burrs in the slot grinding against the cocking shoe. Down by the trigger it gets rough. It could be anything though.

They aren't worth fixing. Only $129 bucks new. And they are a mess to disassemble. So I usually don't bother.

I have shot past a lot of gritty cocking problems. A few drops of silicone oil and a cheery outlook helps. It either gets better or they stop working all together.

I have had several that were real winners. A bunch that were real loosers. They are an excellent rifle poorly executed.

The HW95 is pretty close to the perfect springer IMHO. I just can't stand there and pump 200 rounds a day through it and not feel bad about it. That Hatsan allows me to shoot as much as I want and not feel like I'm committing pellet gun abuse.
LOL it bothers me because it went from a light rub noise to loud grinding sound and it’s much harder to cock now.
I paid 149.00 with free shipping. Guess if nothing else I can use it for parts

I appreciate that we all have our own personal shooting preferences, and that makes it fun and interesting 👍. That said, I have never seen nor heard of anyone wearing out an HW from shooting too much, beyond the need to replace springs/seals which applies to all springers. Both my R7 and hw50s have well over 50k shots, and they look/function as good as new.
R

An Air Arms will be my next purchase. Just not sure which model. But I’m going to try my hand at .20 with the next one. Probably limits my options.
I own a pro sport in .177 setup to shoot about 11.5fpe and have been very happy with the gun. And you can find praise for the TX200 everywhere on this forum. I'm not sure that AA offers the TX200 or the pro sport in .20, so maybe you are looking at two new purchases 😳?
R

I own a pro sport in .177 setup to shoot about 11.5fpe and have been very happy with the gun. And you can find praise for the TX200 everywhere on this forum. I'm not sure that AA offers the TX200 or the pro sport in .20, so maybe you are looking at two new purchases 😳?
R
lol. I noticed that AA doesn’t offer anything in .20

Guess I’ll go with .22 then. Those .177 pellets are just too fiddly for my old diabetic eyes and hands.

I need to find a good rebuild video for my Hatsan Mod95. It makes an awful grinding noise when cocking it. Guessing it’s the normal for this gun Gauling issue that MANY. Experience.
Na.. I think a referb it cheaper now a day on that hat95 ..lol. It's now a sub 159$ gun .. that's in disposable relm

LOL it bothers me because it went from a light rub noise to loud grinding sound and it’s much harder to cock now.
I paid 149.00 with free shipping. Guess if nothing else I can use it for parts

They have a one year guarantee from Hatsan. Send it back.

If it's not under warranty they will still fix it. Shipping is the issue.

New they are $129. Springs at Airgun Depot and gas rams at Pyramid.

I was thinking buy the cheap refrrb in spring to rebuild my gas ram vortex failure.. then I can go to arh for future maintenance..lol
What failure did you have? Guessing it’s the gas ram. All galled up. I’ve read it’s quite common with the 95 Vortex

Last edited: