N/A Question for you FX Boss owners

There seams to be a couple of models for this gun. Aluminum bottle CF bottle, power wheel no power wheel, different stock materials. My question is how much difference does all this make in how well the gun shoots? I've always wanted a Boss just because of all the great things I here about them on AGN. Plus the fact that you never see them for sale here used. The reason for the question is I came across a nib boss at a local airgun store that has a walnut stock CF bottle and no power wheel. All thoughts welcome.

Thanks

There seams to be a couple of models for this gun. Aluminum bottle CF bottle, power wheel no power wheel, different stock materials. My question is how much difference does all this make in how well the gun shoots? I've always wanted a Boss just because of all the great things I here about them on AGN. Plus the fact that you never see them for sale here used. The reason for the question is I came across a nib boss at a local airgun store that has a walnut stock CF bottle and no power wheel. All thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Buy it!!

Gerry will weigh in soon, but the FX Boss with smooth twist barrel is excellent and very accurate.

What do you intend to use it for?

Reactions: SilentSquirrel
Boss does NOT have a power wheel, never did. Royale has power wheel in all Royale calibers (.177, .22. .25). There's about a 1lb difference with the lighter cf bottle. If you can get one GRAB IT!!! Don't be looking to shoot slugs, they're pellets only due to Original Smooth Twist barrel. Keep us posted. I want to hear what happens!
Check out this video:

Last edited:
Garry52 when I looked up the Boss on FX website on of the pictures showed a power wheel that's why the question. Also not wanting a air rifle slug gun I have PB for that. As far as the use hunting rabbits and ground squirels at distances past 60 yds. Lots of cattle ranches around here that the ranchers are happy to let you shoot them little pests.

Lucky the shop will let me do a layaway plan because the price is way more than I should pay for a air rifle. But hey this is kind of a bucket list thing for me. LOL

Reactions: SilentSquirrel
Garry52 when I looked up the Boss on FX website on of the pictures showed a power wheel that's why the question. Also not wanting a air rifle slug gun I have PB for that. As far as the use hunting rabbits and ground squirels at distances past 60 yds. Lots of cattle ranches around here that the ranchers are happy to let you shoot them little pests.

Lucky the shop will let me do a layaway plan because the price is way more than I should pay for a air rifle. But hey this is kind of a bucket list thing for me. LOL
Most ads I used to see were about the Royale line with a footnote underneath stating "the Royale in .30 caliber is called the Boss". I understand your confusion as far as the pictures. Boss uses Royale stock & there's a cutaway or notch for a power wheel even though the Boss doesn't have one.
20240902_081017.jpg

Reactions: Centercut
...because the price is way more than I should pay for a air rifle. But hey this is kind of a bucket list thing for me. LOL
The price is what it is, but what is most important is the VALUE, and it is quite high for the Boss you are buying.

There are some FABULOUS air rifles out and about right now, which don't command top dollar as they are not the newest, latest, greatest, lightest, most powerful, etc. The last 3 rifles I have purchased were launched about 2012, 2018 and 2019. I have experience with all of them, and have kicked myself for selling them, so they are being purchased a second time. All at a lower price than I originally bought them for.

Buying technology on its downward slope can be a real winner for value. Cost is reduced yet the capabilities can be there in spades. Definitely the case for your new Boss - they are one heck of a fine gun. Congrats!

@THM the Boss is a rife I have been wanting and looking for the last 5-6 years. I'm not someone that needs the latest and greatest thing out there. Every air rifle I own is old school. R3/R3M Edguns, Leshiy classic, HFT 500. The Boss is another rife in that class of rifles. The local shop that has the Boss wants 2k out the door. Just can't see spending that much no matter how much I would love to have a Boss in my stable.

@THM the Boss is a rife I have been wanting and looking for the last 5-6 years. I'm not someone that needs the latest and greatest thing out there. Every air rifle I own is old school. R3/R3M Edguns, Leshiy classic, HFT 500. The Boss is another rife in that class of rifles. The local shop that has the Boss wants 2k out the door. Just can't see spending that much no matter how much I would love to have a Boss in my stable.
May I suggest that if you really want it, go back to the dealer and negotiate.
Have a $ amount you will not exceed in mind, and be prepared to politely walk away

I see your in WA. What local shop is there for selling airguns?

Dairy boy I live in Stevens County. The shop is in Colville, funny thing is I don’t know the name of the shop. Only been in there once. They have airforce,FX, Aiir Arms, RAW, plus others I can’t remember. Huge selection of slugs, scopes, rings, pellets, etc.
Oh that's awesome! That's a little over 4hrs drive from me. Not sure I'll ever make it out that way but great to have a place you can put your hands on a gun before you can buy. Would be cool to go to one day. BTW I think the Boss would be a great gun to buy. I too would see if there is room on that as I don't think they were priced that high when they were available.

Thanks
The "aluminum" / "carbon fiber" cylinder that you mention above (in red), are actually the same item.

The cylinder normally starts out as a "slug" of aluminum. Then its pressed into a cup with the end open. It's then either a formed into a cylinder on a lath, or again put in a press with a different dies to close up the open end to form the neck.. In any case, a little lath work is needed to complete the full dimensions on the inner part of the neck. Then carbon fiber is tightly wrapped around the aluminum cylinder.
When the wrapping is complete, then it goes into a vacuum chamber (with many other cylinders!). The chamber is vacuumed to a specific pressure value to remove about 99.9+% of the air. then heated to XX temperature, for XX minutes. The actual time and temperature depends on the type of carbon fiber material used. Then slowly cooled to room temperature.

Also depending on the type of carbon fiber, each cylinder may get wrapped / sealed in a material that will not adhere to the fiber as it's heated. This insures that ALL, of the fibers remain tightly wrapped around the cylinder while it's heated.

Mike

lhandy

Did you eventually buy this NIB Boss .30cal? Did you buy for less than $2K?

I know it has been a few weeks since you posted you were going to try and negotiate a better price.

I use mine strictly for bench rest paper target shooting, but I have extensively shot it at both 50 and 100Y, and it is very accurate at 870-890 FPS range with JSB 44g. 70 FPE is more than enough power for squirrels and rabbits at 60 Y, but your marksmanship skills will be really tested with fast moving squirrels with tiny kill shot zones.