• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms Quiet .177 PCP

My P35-177 is my quietest PCP and is about 18 fpe. A unique feature of this PCP is the shroud can be slid forward to increase the volume of the shroud ahead of the barrel. I have 3D printed moderators about 120mm long on all my P35s. They are inside the shroud so they are protected from damage. All my P35s are quiet but the 177 is the quietest.

The Stoeger bullshark is pretty much the same gun but has a longer barrel so the space inside the shroud is less. The stock baffles are more effective to my ears in the bullshark than my P35s but adding printed moderators would mean the shroud would have to go further forward. Several people had commented their 177 bullshark shoots 10 grain knockout slugs really well, however. My P35-177 hates them big time. I wouldn't call a stock bullshark super quiet but it does come with a shroud end cap with threads for an additional moderator. So you should be able to make it very quiet.
Hi @JimD do you have the file for the 3D internal moderator? Thanks

My .177 Taipan Vet1 compact is very quiet at 18 fpe . The .22 Vet1 standard is also quiet . One of the reasons I like them

20240404_154339.jpg

Just for funzys, today I put my quietest moderator (Hogan Decimeater) on the .177 Veteran Standard I mentioned earlier in this discussion.

Lol, it was RIDICULOUSLY quiet.

My 11 year old that shoots with me quite a bit was about 20 feet away on the trampoline and was following along with the little experiment. I took the first shot, "Snick" He yells, "did you just shoot?!?!?" I respond, "lol yeah." He starts laughing, "that was soooo quiet!!!!!!"

He was right, very quiet. Fun to have a kid that enjoys it too.

Took the moderator off after the experiment. It looked ridiculous, and I don't need nearly silent.

Reactions: RScott
@Struckat , I was able to sell my basement less house in TN and buy a much bigger house with big yard in Iowa. I had to give up my two favorite hobbies but am trying to develop this new one, plus now I have improved my cooking skills due to "sameness" of local cuisine. At 70 it is easy to "sacrifice" for family.
LOL Instead of the term "Sameness", I just use the word "Bland". I have not found a good Restaurant in Iowa yet!

Reactions: Struckat
My P35-177 is my quietest PCP and is about 18 fpe. A unique feature of this PCP is the shroud can be slid forward to increase the volume of the shroud ahead of the barrel. I have 3D printed moderators about 120mm long on all my P35s. They are inside the shroud so they are protected from damage. All my P35s are quiet but the 177 is the quietest.

The Stoeger bullshark is pretty much the same gun but has a longer barrel so the space inside the shroud is less. The stock baffles are more effective to my ears in the bullshark than my P35s but adding printed moderators would mean the shroud would have to go further forward. Several people had commented their 177 bullshark shoots 10 grain knockout slugs really well, however. My P35-177 hates them big time. I wouldn't call a stock bullshark super quiet but it does come with a shroud end cap with threads for an additional moderator. So you should be able to make it very quiet.
I can second that. My custom P35 with new shroud, mod and CZ barrel in 177 is stupid quiet and accurate. The hammer striking the valve is louder than the report. I have mine tuned for 23 FPE.

Reactions: RScott
i think there are a bunch in the category really, mostly all will need a moderator to get super quiet. Lower power helps a lot as well. I own a few that are extremely quiet with moderators in 177 and 20ft pounds. I have a tuned Marauder and a Wolverine with a mod and its stupid quiet. Quieter than conversation. My AA510 and 500 are also very quiet with the qTec mod on it. Theres a lot of options, AA are amazing guns in many aspects, you cant go wrong there.

Reactions: orangeokie
i think there are a bunch in the category really, mostly all will need a moderator to get super quiet. Lower power helps a lot as well. I own a few that are extremely quiet with moderators in 177 and 20ft pounds. I have a tuned Marauder and a Wolverine with a mod and its stupid quiet. Quieter than conversation. My AA510 and 500 are also very quiet with the qTec mod on it. Theres a lot of options, AA are amazing guns in many aspects, you cant go wrong there.
Agree 100% about the AA 510. The retort of my .22 (with a Huggett Astile moderator) is more of a "click" sound rather than a pop. Backyard friendly to the 'nth degree. 🍻