• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms Quiet .177 PCP

70 yr old NOOB. I have a 2 piece stock AA S200 with unknown moderater tuned by some unknown enthusiast. It is the quietest PCP I have personally shot. I have a Stormrider .177 with Buck Rail but is considerably louder. I was hoping it would be nearly as quiet as AA S200, it isn't. I would like to get another .177 PCP that is nearly as quiet as my AA S200 just for a comparison.

What should I be looking for in the used .177 PCP market for an ultra quiet .177 PCP? Another AA 200 or tune the Stormrider or ....?

70 yr old NOOB. I have a 2 piece stock AA S200 with unknown moderater tuned by some unknown enthusiast. It is the quietest PCP I have personally shot. I have a Stormrider .177 with Buck Rail but is considerably louder. I was hoping it would be nearly as quiet as AA S200, it isn't. I would like to get another .177 PCP that is nearly as quiet as my AA S200 just for a comparison.

What should I be looking for in the used .177 PCP market for an ultra quiet .177 PCP? Another AA 200 or tune the Stormrider or ....?
Goldstar SE with a Huma shroud
IMG_7825.jpeg

Last edited:

Nothing more quiet than a electronic daystate. Get a air wolf

True, the electronic rifles are quiet since they don't have the hammer and spring thrashing around. But, E rifles aren't for everyone. I have an HW100 .177 that I tuned down to 12 fpe. With the standard Weihrauch moderator, it is darn near silent. I don't know how much power you need, but that is the primary contributor of sound.

True, the electronic rifles are quiet since they don't have the hammer and spring thrashing around. But, E rifles aren't for everyone. I have an HW100 .177 that I tuned down to 12 fpe. With the standard Weihrauch moderator, it is darn near silent. I don't know how much power you need, but that is the primary contributor of sound.
Those HW moderators are very impressive. I'd pit mine against my Donnyfl any day.

Quietest .177 PCP I own is a Taipan Vet Standard.

Reg is @ 90 bar if I remember correctly.
JSB 10.34s at 920ish.

The low reg pressure and low power + the baffled shroud makes it pretty quiet. Could add a moderator on the end of the moderator to go even quieter I suppose.

Quietest I've ever heard was an Anschutz owned by @SAZ. It had been hopped up to 12 fpe and full length custom shroud added by Allen Z. Sounded like snapping your fingers.

Have chrony numbers? Every chance the stormrider is closer to 20fpe and the AA is "12fpe". Big difference. Perhaps call Mike at TKO and ask what his quietest is?
Believe it or not tuning (at least a hammer spring change) that stormrider is within your ability.

Given the money personally would rather any AA. The old bolt action AA400/410 rifles with THE " 16mm shroud" are quieter than a marauder (or the modern larger shroud model) at matching power levels and if you can find a good used one they are under priced for what they are.

John

Have chrony numbers? Every chance the stormrider is closer to 20fpe and the AA is "12fpe". Big difference. Perhaps call Mike at TKO and ask what his quietest is?
Believe it or not tuning (at least a hammer spring change) that stormrider is within your ability.

Given the money personally would rather any AA. The old bolt action AA400/410 rifles with THE " 16mm shroud" are quieter than a marauder (or the modern larger shroud model) at matching power levels and if you can find a good used one they are under priced for what they are.

John

I have two CZ200’s that are 13 FPE with 10.3 gr and a Huntsman Revere that is an 18 FPE shooter with 13 MRD. I use the same mod 30 avalanche in its smallest configuration. The Revere is noticeably louder and it has a “shroud” where the CZ200 is just a plain barrel to moderator.
So I concur, that little bit more power adds a good deal of noise.

As an air gun Noob I probably don't need anything other than the "tuned" AA S200 I have. But having one good shooter didn't stop me in my last shooting incarnation. I've got 75 yrds from one neighbor and 125 yrds from the other. No live neighbors to the rear. I was content to shoot some occasional paper until the gray squirrels started to mess with my wife's potted plants. She is a kind soul up to a point. She looked at me and said, "I am releasing the Kracken! Kill those squirrels, please." I chuckled.

I have an Airacuda Std .22 with moderator along with the AA S200 and Stormrider. My old shooting buddy several states away told me he is coming to visit in August and will be gifting me his no longer used FX Streamline .22 which I am really looking forward to. However, for backyard "pesting" the little AA S200 I have is so quiet and accurate it sort of thrills me to shoot it.

I got the Stormrider .177 as an incentive to learn how to "detune" a PCP air rifle so I could understand what some previous owner of my AA S200 did to it to make it so quiet and accurate. Today I ordered a blue tooth chrony and an indoor light kit as I have 10 meters in my basement too.

I also picked up one of the GX CS4 air compressors.

@Struckat , I was able to sell my basement less house in TN and buy a much bigger house with big yard in Iowa. I had to give up my two favorite hobbies but am trying to develop this new one, plus now I have improved my cooking skills due to "sameness" of local cuisine. At 70 it is easy to "sacrifice" for family.

Quietest .177 PCP I own is a Taipan Vet Standard.

Reg is @ 90 bar if I remember correctly.
JSB 10.34s at 920ish.

The low reg pressure and low power + the baffled shroud makes it pretty quiet. Could add a moderator on the end of the moderator to go even quieter I suppose.

Quietest I've ever heard was an Anschutz owned by @SAZ. It had been hopped up to 12 fpe and full length custom shroud added by Allen Z. Sounded like snapping your fingers.
I fully agree @Franklink as I have an Anschutz 8002 pushed to 16 ftlbs by AZ and it’s only a click and a pffft.

IMG_7829.jpeg

Reactions: Franklink
My P35-177 is my quietest PCP and is about 18 fpe. A unique feature of this PCP is the shroud can be slid forward to increase the volume of the shroud ahead of the barrel. I have 3D printed moderators about 120mm long on all my P35s. They are inside the shroud so they are protected from damage. All my P35s are quiet but the 177 is the quietest.

The Stoeger bullshark is pretty much the same gun but has a longer barrel so the space inside the shroud is less. The stock baffles are more effective to my ears in the bullshark than my P35s but adding printed moderators would mean the shroud would have to go further forward. Several people had commented their 177 bullshark shoots 10 grain knockout slugs really well, however. My P35-177 hates them big time. I wouldn't call a stock bullshark super quiet but it does come with a shroud end cap with threads for an additional moderator. So you should be able to make it very quiet.