Random range question

No it's just a shooting line to target line .. the shooting line is the line by rules what part of your stance can not cross ..

Nothing special. Should be articles on it around or in maybe rules on it

Like here .

th-101405596.jpg

Say shooting line to target line is 50y , 20 , 10m you can be anywhere behind the shooting line as rules allow to toe it

One more for funs
th-2902419556.jpg

I also measure from the front of my bench/ table and the guns muzzles never go across that edge or a foot or so behind it ..

Last edited:
Perhaps other countries have different rules but all the shooting sports I've been a part of measure the foot placement (toes) as the starting line and the target face as the finish line and they are measured that way.

I use the front lip on my shooting table simply because I can hook my 100' tape on the edge.

Perhaps other countries have different rules but all the shooting sports I've been a part of measure the foot placement (toes) as the starting line and the target face as the finish line and they are measured that way.

I use the front lip on my shooting table simply because I can hook my 100' tape on the edge.
You still need a fixed starting/ shooting line to measured target line .. lol

My foot placement could be 109 yards away ..🥴

Just pulling ya leg..

Ya I got a screw to hook my tape measure to as well ..

My help ain't much help in measuring..
Ruff,cant, measure .jpg

No it's just a shooting line to target line .. the shooting line is the line by rules what part of your stance can not cross ..

Nothing special. Should be articles on it around or in maybe rules on it

Like here .

View attachment 495583

Say shooting line to target line is 50y , 20 , 10m you can be anywhere behind the shooting line as rules allow to toe it

One more for funs
View attachment 495587

I also measure from the front of my bench/ table and the guns muzzles never go across that edge or a foot or so behind it ..
Actually in archery you are allowed to straddle the line.

In your yard it's not like your going to draw a foul ..lol. Just do as you feel best for you.

This made laying out racks easy and quick one pull to do 0- 100yards. ( Has foot and meters )

I calculate range from my eye to the target. That's the way you calculate it in the field so that's what I do on the range.

The "firing line" is where range is calculated in a match. You have to have your feet behind it.

It dosent really matter on a home range. Nor does the difference in the way its measured matter that much.
This is USA just has to be a rule ! otherwise it is arguments always arguments .😎😎😎😉

I calculate range from my eye to the target. That's the way you calculate it in the field so that's what I do on the range.

The "firing line" is where range is calculated in a match. You have to have your feet behind it.

It dosent really matter on a home range. Nor does the difference in the way its measured matter that much.
This is USA just has to be a rule ! otherwise it is arguments always arguments .😎😎😎😉

That's maybe why I measure out 10m and claim it's a 100 yards and get such great tight guoups ..🤧

That's maybe why I measure out 10m and claim it's a 100 yards and get such great tight guoups ..🤧

Always calculate range from your eyes.

My eyes are on my neighbor sitting in the sun with her bathing suit on. So that's where I calculate my range from.

According to my rangefinder she is about 47 yards away and my 100 yard target is at 53 yards.

Last edited:
I hooked my 100 foot steel tape measure to the railing of the side porch I shoot from. That is about where the front edge of my shooting bench is. With a long gun like my Avenger the muzzle may also be about there. But mostly I shoot my bullpups and they are probably about a foot back from this. So I am slightly conservative.

The other thing I did that I recommend is I set little 12x12 inch patio squares in my yard at 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 yards from my bench. I have a movable stand for my pellet traps that I can easily and quickly move to any of these squares. I have a brick pier at 35 yards.

Harbor freight sells a fiberglass tape that I also have for longer distances. I set my targets at the public range using that tape. Fiberglass can stretch making the measurements a little less dependable than a steel tape but for what I'm doing I don't think it really makes a difference. The HF tape is pretty cheap and works fine.

Reactions: beerthief
I hooked my 100 foot steel tape measure to the railing of the side porch I shoot from. That is about where the front edge of my shooting bench is. With a long gun like my Avenger the muzzle may also be about there. But mostly I shoot my bullpups and they are probably about a foot back from this. So I am slightly conservative.

The other thing I did that I recommend is I set little 12x12 inch patio squares in my yard at 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 yards from my bench. I have a movable stand for my pellet traps that I can easily and quickly move to any of these squares. I have a brick pier at 35 yards.

Harbor freight sells a fiberglass tape that I also have for longer distances. I set my targets at the public range using that tape. Fiberglass can stretch making the measurements a little less dependable than a steel tape but for what I'm doing I don't think it really makes a difference. The HF tape is pretty cheap and works fine.
On a funny thought do you go as far as to calculate for the steel tape depending for the temp ...just kidding i used to be a land surveyor and had to recalculate distances recorded from decades to centuries ago..just made me smile thinking on the good ol days

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
The point you measure from has been debated by men for centuries before the airgun was invented.

Wherever you start your measurements from...

A fiberglass tape generally has a temperature conversion written on it. In hot weather they get longer. You have to subtract a little. The table on the tape tells you how much. There will be some stretch measuring 50 yards 100 feet at a time.

If measurement to the exact inch is important use a steel tape.

I use a range finder to sight in the rifle (@25 and 50). I have never actually measured with a steel tape and compared that with the rangefinder. It could be off a little. I can live with that.

That might not be accurate enough for some guys that compete or collect data. For backyard shooting I couldn't see how any of it would matter much.

I asked on another forum and DeadEyeNC replied:
“I can't seem to find it stated in the AAFTA guidelines, but match directors set up targets measured from the lane markers at each shooting lane. Typically there are two lane markers at each lane. Your muzzle must be beyond the markers, your trigger must be behind the lane markers.
Hope that helps
Thanks
Philip“

Reactions: Bedrock Bob