Random range question

I was originaly just curious as im planning on setting up a shooting lane out to 140ish yards with posts marking distances and targets hanging from them. I would hate to feel the recourse of stating a said group size and be off by a foot or 2 on distance lol just kidding i just was curiouse on the right way

I asked on another forum and DeadEyeNC replied:
“I can't seem to find it stated in the AAFTA guidelines, but match directors set up targets measured from the lane markers at each shooting lane. Typically there are two lane markers at each lane. Your muzzle must be beyond the markers, your trigger must be behind the lane markers.
Hope that helps
Thanks
Philip“

So the distance between the trigger and the muzzle defines your position in the lane? That makes perfect sense.

Now the age old question....where is the muzzle measured from? Is it the crown of the barrel or the end of the suppressor?

I hooked my 100 foot steel tape measure to the railing of the side porch I shoot from. That is about where the front edge of my shooting bench is. With a long gun like my Avenger the muzzle may also be about there. But mostly I shoot my bullpups and they are probably about a foot back from this. So I am slightly conservative.

The other thing I did that I recommend is I set little 12x12 inch patio squares in my yard at 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 yards from my bench. I have a movable stand for my pellet traps that I can easily and quickly move to any of these squares. I have a brick pier at 35 yards.

Harbor freight sells a fiberglass tape that I also have for longer distances. I set my targets at the public range using that tape. Fiberglass can stretch making the measurements a little less dependable than a steel tape but for what I'm doing I don't think it really makes a difference. The HF tape is pretty cheap and works fine.
I posted that harbor freight tape earlier I use .. the stretch in negligible in this scenario.. it's not like Mr legs universe world championship million dollar cup is on the line in the pasture or backyard ..lol then when I pull it it's not like I'm trying to pull it in two or my bench off the slab ..lol

I'd trust it way before a rangefinder ..

Reactions: JimD
i like to play with FT targets , but i just walk out and set them down at random distances , don't use strings , just walk to reset for exercise and move the targets a bit .

I've been setting up the little steel targets lately too. Everything but the chickens. The sound of that lead on steel is sweet.

Lots of ricochets with steel. I won't shoot it around the house anymore. But those little targets are tons of fun!

We used to love golf balls. We even had a little green set up and we tried to knock them off the carpet.

We had a few rebounds and knew they were dangerous. I kept them out at 60 yards and figured it was safe. My son and I got hit 3 times in one afternoon. I got one in the right cheek. He got it twice in the left leg.

There was no velocity to it. They barely hit us. But a golf ball at 25 will probably mess you up if it ricochet back and hit you. They do it often. We don't shoot them any more.

Some of those dinosaurs I shoot will spit one back at you once in a while. I love shooting super balls but they can be hazardous too.

Reactions: beerthief
I've been setting up the little steel targets lately too. Everything but the chickens. The sound of that lead on steel is sweet.

Lots of ricochets with steel. I won't shoot it around the house anymore. But those little targets are tons of fun!

We used to love golf balls. We even had a little green set up and we tried to knock them off the carpet.

We had a few rebounds and knew they were dangerous. I kept them out at 60 yards and figured it was safe. My son and I got hit 3 times in one afternoon. I got one in the right cheek. He got it twice in the left leg.

There was no velocity to it. They barely hit us. But a golf ball at 25 will probably mess you up if it ricochet back and hit you. They do it often. We don't shoot them any more.

Some of those dinosaurs I shoot will spit one back at you once in a while. I love shooting super balls but they can be hazardous too.
hope your both wearing safety glasses for known ricochets.

hope your both wearing safety glasses for known ricochets.

We wear a helmet with a lexan face shield, body armor, shin guards, steel toed boots and leather gloves. Also heavy canvas shirt and pants with Kevlar reinforced underwear.

Not really...

We generally just hold a can of beer in front of our face to deflect any ricochets.

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
It's the distance from your knees to the trigger, divided by half the distance of your nose to the end of the muzzle, minus 1/3rd the length of pull of your stock, unless you're using a scope, then it's 1/4 the length of pull. And then you take that and add the distance to the face of the target from your shoulders, subtracting half the distance between your knees and your toes while sitting at 90 degrees.

Those are the rules agreed upon by OPEC, NAFTA, and UNESCO. But I'm not sure how they do it in the UK.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
It's the distance from your knees to the trigger, divided by half the distance of your nose to the end of the muzzle, minus 1/3rd the length of pull of your stock, unless you're using a scope, then it's 1/4 the length of pull. And then you take that and add the distance to the face of the target from your shoulders, subtracting half the distance between your knees and your toes while sitting at 90 degrees.

Those are the rules agreed upon by OPEC, NAFTA, and UNESCO. But I'm not sure how they do it in the UK.
So then does "Mass of the Azz" become part of the equation as well? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Spartan