N/A Range Change

All summer I said I was going to get more distance on the range. This week I did that. Spent the better part of 3 days clearing and digging out approx. 7-8 tons of earth. Was hoping for fifty yds. 47 will do.
I had a trellis that I was scraping, so I took one side as my frame, bonus. I put a dozen 4” wood screws in joints to solidify it.
I salvaged a few steel plates to hang.
Also for paper I made a stable platform and a tin roof above it to deflect rain. Found rain devastating the paper, hope this works. A few cans of course. Spinners on order. View attachment 405034I can reach the top plate to paint. This will be a temp set up. Kinda threw it together getting dark. Can easily rearrange the targets.View attachment 405031
The few white targets I used, 42-44 yds. And this is from my table.View attachment 405047This going to be a lot better. With winter hitting these will all be useable, being off the ground. l managed to crack off a few shots before the sun disappeared. Crow
SEE you made more work for yourself . Now you will have to trim that tree on the left to shoot the 47 yards

Reactions: crowski
Looks good Crow ! How about a pic of your bench area ?
Get you one tomorrow, dark now. Crow
SEE you made more work for yourself . Now you will have to trim that tree on the left to shoot the 47 yards
I was risking death by unga bunga by trimming what I already did. Might have to move a post. Now that wouldn’t save no marrage. I’m trying to abstain from more work. I just spent 1 1/2 hrs picking up ground targets and screwing down on this frame.
IMG_7285.jpeg
Should last the winter. Here’s view from table, close to beam.
IMG_7286.jpeg
That’s why 47 is max from covered porch. Can shoot any distance, just like the convenience of table always set up under covered porch. I shoot excessively on rain days. Crow

Get you one tomorrow, dark now. Crow

I was risking death by unga bunga by trimming what I already did. Might have to move a post. Now that wouldn’t save no marrage. I’m trying to abstain from more work. I just spent 1 1/2 hrs picking up ground targets and screwing down on this frame. View attachment 406019Should last the winter. Here’s view from table, close to beam.View attachment 406026That’s why 47 is max from covered porch. Can shoot any distance, just like the convenience of table always set up under covered porch. I shoot excessively on rain days. Crow
The obvious answer is to extend the porch 10’. Problem solved. You’re welcome 😁

Looks good Crow ! How about a pic of your bench area ?
Thanks, Had to go out to reload a few tins, took this shot. Just a covered porch. I pulled the blind down, bought for shooting. It ties down at bottom. Stops wind in winter, big time bonus. I bought to stop sun in summer. Money well spent.
IMG_7290.jpeg
Here’s a shot of my table. Just got rest. 👍👍👍. Used to have 2 tables but took one back, rarely used.
IMG_7289.jpeg
This one I modified a little. The feet came off a Brunswick 5x10 slate pool table. Works better on grass as well.

Thanks, Had to go out to reload a few tins, took this shot. Just a covered porch. I pulled the blind down, bought for shooting. It ties down at bottom. Stops wind in winter, big time bonus. I bought to stop sun in summer. Money well spent. View attachment 406043Here’s a shot of my table. Just got rest. 👍👍👍. Used to have 2 tables but took one back, rarely used.View attachment 406045This one I modified a little. The feet came off a Brunswick 5x10 slate pool table. Works better on grass as well.
That's all you need ! Love to have a range. Not possible living in my city (12K population) while I
sit in my 915 sq ft Condo.

Nice, Crow! Good post. Thanks for sharing pics and talking about it. Those Brunswick feet are awesome. My bench is a Black and Decker Workmate.
Thanks. The feet actually make a big difference.
That B&D table is a work of art. Another great use. Almost as handy as duck tape. Crow
Nice job! A propane heater is all you need now to keep winter at bay. Living the dream!
That’s the $64,000.00 question. Heat. The wind is the biggest killer. The blind I bought for the sun, it ties at bottom and stops wind from north which is my problem. If wind is too strong I just don’t shoot. The abominable snowman wouldn’t sit there. You know what I ‘m talking about, I think you have the same weather.
My range is wider, so I pivot on the table. Makes it harder to direct the heat.
I just layer my clothing. Biggest problem is my left hand which is exposed for loading. I just go inside 20 feet away to thaw. Coffee fixes, repeat.
Nite shooting in winter is absolutely the best. Everything is white and bright except your targets, and beyond is pitch black. I’m trying to set up lites so I just flick a switch instead of plugging in and setting up. No end. Crow

Reactions: Frogy and TXRMike
I’m surprised the main squeeze is letting me keep the table up permanently. The tent wouldn’t save the marriage. I wear a thermal work pant with bib, Carhartt and if needed a thick bath towel over my knees. It works for an hour. If it doesn’t the door is near by.
You have a shelter don’t you?
How long do you stay in at a time?
Crow
Crowski, I hope you give thanks for your blessings before you crawl into bed at night. That's a setup many of us can only dream about!
I do give thanks and unfortunately feel the aches and pains as well.
It’s a real fluke that it happened. Thanks Crow

How about buying / building a temp shelter? An enclosed space you can shoot out of with a propane heater is awesome. Broke out the shanty and heater last week, was great. A collapsable plywood built or a turnkey shanty is the answer. Something like this.

View attachment 406176
maxtrouble we used to use a gas heater in our little caravan until someone told us that we ran a very high risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. I hope you have lots of ventilation in that confined space.
Gary

maxtrouble we used to use a gas heater in our little caravan until someone told us that we ran a very high risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. I hope you have lots of ventilation in that confined space.
Gary
The front of the shanty has two big shooting openings. Plenty of fresh air. We patched up the floors fishing holes but air still circulates. Not the best of jobs but it keeps the inside temps above sixty degrees, no gloves needed.

The front of the shanty has two big shooting openings. Plenty of fresh air. We patched up the floors fishing holes but air still circulates. Not the best of jobs but it keeps the inside temps above sixty degrees, no gloves needed.
I think I remember pics of yours last year. Made me drool. No gloves, I have to reconsider.
Do you leave it set up all winter?
Crow

I think I remember pics of yours last year. Made me drool. No gloves, I have to reconsider.
Do you leave it set up all winter?
Crow
The shanty takes about five minutes to setup and take down. It is only a foot wide and half a sheet of plywood long when folded up. I will take more pics this weekend.

We also use an "indoor rated" propane heater to avoid carbon monoxide.

The shanty takes about five minutes to setup and take down. It is only a foot wide and half a sheet of plywood long when folded up. I will take more pics this weekend.

We also use an "indoor rated" propane heater to avoid carbon monoxide.

I’d be interested.
‘Be careful with any plug in electric heater in your house. If that heater causes a fire you have NO insurance. It’s written in small print on the bottom of your policy. Crow

Reactions: maxtrouble