• *The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

RAW Micro Hunter Moderator

I just got my Micro Hunter in .177 cal and find this to be an awesome little gun. Just by taking the stock off, I can use it for PFT as it is, I believe.
As it comes, it does bark a little despite the outer shroud and some of you might want to quiet it down and make it "backyard friendly". I have several moderators laying around and ran some back to back tests. Mind you, this isn't very scientific and my hearing isn't the best, so my findings you can take with a grain of salt.

Moderators tested:

Bare
DonnyFL Tanto with .275 exit hole
FX/DonnyFL with .315 exit hole
FX/DonnyFL with .360 exit hole
DonnyFL Tatsu with .375 exit hole
FX Empty can with .292 exit hole

Sound wise, the most quiet was the Tanto which is designed for a .22. It has the smallest exit hole so the sound is contained more. It gets louder as the exit hole increases, but that's kind of subjective. Any moderator would work well on this gun. Without noise measuring instrumentation, it's hard to judge which is better, but it does seem that the exit hole size does have some effect. FYI

I just got my Micro Hunter in .177 cal and find this to be an awesome little gun. Just by taking the stock off, I can use it for PFT as it is, I believe.
As it comes, it does bark a little despite the outer shroud and some of you might want to quiet it down and make it "backyard friendly". I have several moderators laying around and ran some back to back tests. Mind you, this isn't very scientific and my hearing isn't the best, so my findings you can take with a grain of salt.

Moderators tested:

Bare

Sound wise, the most quiet was the Tanto which is designed for a .22. It has the smallest exit hole so the sound is contained more. It gets louder as the exit hole increases, but that's kind of subjective. Any moderator would work well on this gun. Without noise measuring instrumentation, it's hard to judge which is better, but it does seem that the exit hole size does have some effect. FYI
a piece of painters tape on the end will make all the hole's the same size as the pellet 😎

Last edited:

Moderators tested:

Bare

Ive been using the Impulse Air 1350 with great results!

RAWmini.jpeg

and yes an appropriate sized moderator signif reduces the bark.

Reactions: woogie_man
@jps2486

With all due respect, if you want to evaluate the effect exit bore size, then all your moderators need to be the same model, with the same OD and length. Then the only difference would be bore diameter.

You have tried a bunch of different moderators. Now, if those were all in the same caliber, with same exit bore diameter, that would tell you the difference in performance between different models, when mounted on your platform at that power level, using a give projectile. The base platform and power level actually have a large effect on performance. Especially with the likes of STO moderators.

Anyway, info and impressions are always welcome. Whether by ear or by meter. You conclusions are also welcome, even if I disagree with them.

@jps2486

With all due respect, if you want to evaluate the effect exit bore size, then all your moderators need to be the same model, with the same OD and length. Then the only difference would be bore diameter.

You have tried a bunch of different moderators. Now, if those were all in the same caliber, with same exit bore diameter, that would tell you the difference in performance between different models, when mounted on your platform at that power level, using a give projectile. The base platform and power level actually have a large effect on performance. Especially with the likes of STO moderators.

Anyway, info and impressions are always welcome. Whether by ear or by meter. You conclusions are also welcome, even if I disagree with them.
Disagree all you want. This was a very unscientific test performed by an old guy with lousy hearing.

Moderators tested:

Bare

jps2486,

Very wise to measure the exit hole and not just say "a .22 ... moderator" because some moderators:
1) don't NECESSARILY have the same specifications(or internal components) from year to year
2) may not be labeled correctly with respect to caliber
Manufacturers may or may not announce these changes in production.
These .177/.22 moderators in the attached pics were purchased a little over 1 year apart and sound totally different:

Screenshot_20240831-165211.png

Screenshot_20240831-165135.png

Reactions: JungleShooter

Moderators tested:

Bare

As long as it is 12 foot pounds or lower, you can use it in PFT. Don

Reactions: jps2486
Manufacturers may or may not announce these changes in production.
These .177/.22 moderators in the attached pics were purchased a little over 1 year apart and sound totally different:

View attachment 492728

View attachment 492729

Your post is DISGUSTING!

Well, I mean: What you exposed of the manufacturers hiding significant product changes from their customers who have grown to TRUST them — that's what's DISGUSTING. 😖

I really appreciate your post 👍🏼 and the inherent warning:
⚠️ Buyer, beware when the manufacturers want to sell you apples for oranges....

Matthias

Reactions: Ghostranger169