RAW Microhunter Airstripper tuning

Turning the hammer spring all the way in and out with little to no change in velocity indicates the hammer is over sprung and the velocity is set by the regulator. You should remove the action from the chassis, back out the Hammer Spring adjuster and look for a washer under the spring. If there is one, remove it and reassemble then test again. With proper springing, you should be able to adjust the velocity 20-30fps or so. I've turned the Micro down to 12fpe with 8.44gr pellets, but that requires the regulator to be turned down to about 110bar.
Thanks - will try. I don't want to digress this accuracy thread into one on tuning.

I feel like you have the experience to have eliminated this already but on a couple of occasions very very light clipping with muzzle devices - barely enough to even leave a mark - have turned out to be the source of extremely aggravating situations similar to yours. If you can't remove the airstripper, maybe try sorting a handful of pellets and see if it's happening more often with the largest diameter pellets.
I removed the shroud and shot it with the bare barrel. Same results.

Reactions: MrP
This is a group at 25 yards, shooting seated with a shooting stick. A well tuned RAW with a good barrel should do this, not every time, but consistently.

1000002199.jpg

What is acceptable accuracy at 25-30 yards with a compact .177 ? Your own preference anyways.

Sorry for the derail but guys were comparing w the Pathfinders accuracy so just another compact .177.
I don't mind a little larger groups than say a full size HM1000x LRT. The biggest thing which bugs me about the accuracy of my Micro Hunter are the flyers. Hunting accuracy, to me, does not have to be as high as a dedicated benchrest target rifle. But 'hunting accuracy' has to be adequate to assure that the gun doesn't get in the way of a humane kill.

Reactions: Headshots
I don't mind a little larger groups than say a full size HM1000x LRT. The biggest thing which bugs me about the accuracy of my Micro Hunter are the flyers. Hunting accuracy, to me, does not have to be as high as a dedicated benchrest target rifle. But 'hunting accuracy' has to be adequate to assure that the gun doesn't get in the way of a humane kill.

Have you tried the JTS 10.4s ? I just shot some groups and they are much better than the JBS 10.3s that's shown in the target I posted . 3 , 5 shot groups . 2 are quarter inch and one is an eighth inch . Best I've shot w a .177 at 30y . Now I can try the 50y challenge when my compressor shows up . JTS did it again , now in .177 amazing stuff . I didn't adjust the scope from the JBS pellets zero.
20240924_175242.jpg

Hope you get yours shooting better . I know the frustration

Have you tried the JTS 10.4s ?
Right now I'm only working with JSBs as directed by RAW tech support (and they have specified that the Micro Hunters are tuned for JSB domed 8.44 and 10.34 gr pellets). And the only JTS pellets I currently have are in .22 cal.

I do have a CARM magazine and single shot loader ordered to at least try to take a potential issue with the RAW magazine out of the picture. But I really am not looking for a compact hunter which needs to be single loaded!

Reactions: Headshots
Right now I'm only working with JSBs as directed by RAW tech support (and they have specified that the Micro Hunters are tuned for JSB domed 8.44 and 10.34 gr pellets). And the only JTS pellets I currently have are in .22 cal.

I do have a CARM magazine and single shot loader ordered to at least try to take a potential issue with the RAW magazine out of the picture. But I really am not looking for a compact hunter which needs to be single loaded!
If accuracy improves without the magazine at least you will know the rifle shoots good and you can focus on the magazine. I used to shoot with a number of guys that shot Marauders. Occasionally they would come to me complaining about their accuracy and wanted my help. In every case the first thing I did was I remove the magazine, pop in the single shot tray, and the accuracy issues went away. I have since been skeptical of magazines. In your case will it fix your problem? Most likely not but there is a chance it will so worth trying.

You can take the “cone” out of the air stripper. I took it out of my micro. Mine shot fine and I bought a DonnyFL RYU. I installed it and the pellets I was using (Norma) went haywire. 5”-6” groups at 30 yards. The Norma pellet was never the most accurate in my micro but I could keep 10 shots inside of a quarter. The fact I have a ton of Norma pellets and I could keep 10 shots in a quarter sized group at 30 yards made the perfect for backyard plinking. Not with the RYU. The Norma pellets go all over the place. I moved that air stripper cone all around, and then just removed it. Made no difference. That said other pellets shot fine (JSB 8.44 & H&N FTT). I went ahead and put the air stripper back in so I wouldn’t loose it and just don’t shoot Norma pellets out of the Micro. The RYU has been a disappointment. It is super quiet and it‘s well made. It just didn’t live up to the review I saw by Wisconsin Airgunner on YouTube (Not for Donn he is bad or his review was bogus, just didn’t work for me with the same rifle and moderator). FWIW my rifle has been turned down to 12fpe for a bigger shot count for backyard plinking.
I believe Wisconsin AG now works for Donny FL

Last edited:

I'd recommend trying some JSB Exacts 8.44gr that are the 4.53mm head sizes. Some barrels like pellets that are just a little larger.

Last edited: