RAW Microhunter Airstripper tuning

Hi All
I have a RAW HM1000x microhunter fitted with a DONNYFL RYU with 2 sections fitted. I am finding it hard to tune the Airstripper to get consistent groups. I have been hitting the same hole 3 or four times then i get a number of fliers before they walk back to the original POI.
Any tips would be gratefully received
Mine does exactly the same thing. I"ve run the stripper from one end to the other as well as a number of different moderators. Same thing. What pellet and velocity are you shooting? Mine is JSB 10.3 gr at 805 fps.

Mine does exactly the same thing. I"ve run the stripper from one end to the other as well as a number of different moderators. Same thing. What pellet and velocity are you shooting? Mine is JSB 10.3 gr at 805 fps.
Tried various best results so far with anything 10.3 gr or over best results with JSB Exact Heavy and Rifle thunder pellets at 13.4 gr but its starting to annoy me. its been back to the distributor once already...

I assume that the adjustable stripper simply adjusts to change its distance from the muzzle, which means you just have to experiment. But the results you describe don't seem to be consistent with that scenario. I once had a similar experience with my standard RAW HM1000. I shot with a chrono and saw that the fliers were giving very inconsistent velocities. At Martin's suggestion, I cleaned and lubed the hammer assembly. That fixed the problem, and it has not recurred. If your velocity is consistent, I would do a thorough barrel cleaning. If it does this only with the additional moderator installed, that's a strong indication of the problem.

I assume that the adjustable stripper simply adjusts to change its distance from the muzzle, which means you just have to experiment. But the results you describe don't seem to be consistent with that scenario. I once had a similar experience with my standard RAW HM1000. I shot with a chrono and saw that the fliers were giving very inconsistent velocities. At Martin's suggestion, I cleaned and lubed the hammer assembly. That fixed the problem, and it has not recurred. If your velocity is consistent, I would do a thorough barrel cleaning. If it does this only with the additional moderator installed, that's a strong indication of the problem.
I havent put it on a chrono yet I'm going to order one and do what you suggest, probably wouldnt hurt just to clean it and see what happens but i think a chrono has become an essential piece of kit so its time to bite the bullet and pull the trigger 🤪 (terrible punnage)!! - only thing is everything is essential!

I havent put it on a chrono yet I'm going to order one and do what you suggest, probably wouldnt hurt just to clean it and see what happens but i think a chrono has become an essential piece of kit so its time to bite the bullet and pull the trigger 🤪 (terrible punnage)!! - only thing is everything is essential!
Truly, without a chrono, you should just put the rifle away until you can evaluate it with the chrono.

Truly, without a chrono, you should just put the rifle away until you can evaluate it with the chrono.
I've run hundreds of pellets over the chrono. JSB and AA 10.3, 8.4, 13.3. Ironically, I'm getting very consistent results with spreads of 11-12 and SD of 2 or 3. That's outstanding in my book, but why the accuracy problems? I've cleaned the barrel, polished it with JB paste and when I slugged it, the rifling marks look perfect. The crown appears fine. I've run it with no moderator, 4 others with different exit hole sizes, all the same. This is becoming a complete mystery. This is what I'm getting at 10M.

Raw Micro moderator test.jpg

I've run hundreds of pellets over the chrono. JSB and AA 10.3, 8.4, 13.3. Ironically, I'm getting very consistent results with spreads of 11-12 and SD of 2 or 3. That's outstanding in my book, but why the accuracy problems? I've cleaned the barrel, polished it with JB paste and when I slugged it, the rifling marks look perfect. The crown appears fine. I've run it with no moderator, 4 others with different exit hole sizes, all the same. This is becoming a complete mystery. This is what I'm getting at 10M.
I assume you are shooting without wind effect, and the pellets and scope have been eliminated as the problem. This sounds like the problem I used to have with an FX rifle, which was due to the liner/sleeve/shroud design. But that's not a RAW. Without seeing this adjustable stripper I'm guessing, but I assume that when moved, it locks sufficiently securely that it's not moving. But then you tested without it too. I've had several rifles in my life that I never figured out. I no longer have them. I'd hate to believe that to be the case with a RAW, and I'd ask Martin to check it out.

Last edited:
I assume you are shooting without wind effect, and the pellets and scope have been eliminated as the problem. This sounds like the problem I used to have with an FX rifle, which was due to the liner/shroud design. But that's not a RAW. Without seeing this adjustable stripper I'm guessing, but I assume that when moved, it locks sufficiently securely that it's not moving. But then you tested without it too. I've had several rifles in my life that I never figured out. I no longer have them. I'd hate to believe that to be the case with a RAW, and I'd ask Martin to check it out.
This is a new gun and barely 3 weeks old. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it from Martin so if I send it to him, it costs me $$. I'm dealing with RAW (Air Force) currently on the problem and I'm hoping they correct it under warranty.

View attachment 498293
For a RAW @10m ..that's terrible
send it back

This is a new gun and barely 3 weeks old. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it from Martin so if I send it to him, it costs me $$. I'm dealing with RAW (Air Force) currently on the problem and I'm hoping they correct it under warranty.
I am dealing with the exact same issues with my Micro Hunter, and have been in email discussions with RAW support for weeks. But I still get some fantastic 10-shot groups at 25 yards, only to be spoiled by 1 or maybe 2 flyers.

1) I have tried many pellet weights and brands from 8.44 to 13.43 (yes, mine is a .177 cal gun). (RAW has told me that they tune the guns at the factory with domed JSB 8.44 and/or 10.34 gr pellets). I have had best luck with my personal gun with 13.43 Monster Re-Designs and have been told by RAW to just experiment with those for now;
2) I have tried many different pellet velocities achieved by adjusting hammer spring tension only (I have not revised the regulator, which seems on my gun to be set around 150 bar). Latest info from RAW is to tune the HS for a velocity of ~720 fps with the 13.43's;
3) I have tried many different positions of the air stripper. I was told by RAW to start with it at the full out position. Then I adjusted it by 1/2 turn increments, sometimes 1/4 turn increments if I felt I was getting close to consistent performance;
4) At first I was using a moderator with a .30 cal hole (STO Brevitas II), but to take issues with the mod out of the equation, I have since removed it and am shooting all of my test groups without any mod;
5) I changed scopes on my gun just to make sure that wasn't the issue;
6) I have been asked by RAW to take some of my testing out from 25 to 50 yards, and that might show improved performance. But all that did was add any of my technique inconsistencies into the mix. No better groups, and still random flyers.
7) My ES and SD values are quite low - almost always in the single digit or maybe low double digits for ES for 10, 20, 30 shot groups;
8) RAW asked me for photos of the pellet probe and its interaction with the barrel breech, and said that based on the photos all was good;
9) RAW asked me for photos of the removed air stripper from different angles, but didn't see anything wrong with it;
10) I'm shooting off a Caldwell Stable Table bench, using an Accu-Tac bipod at the front and a bean bag at the rear of the rifle;
11) Based on an issue seen in the Wisconsin AirGunners video review of the gun, I checked my threaded shroud collar at the base of the shroud. Mine had not come loose, so wasn't an issue.

This gun is really starting to frustrate me, now with perhaps nearly 1,000 test pellets fired and seemingly no closer to the RAW claim of '10 meter accuracy in a compact hunting rifle." Mine was purchased directly from RAW as a blemished product (I had assumed a cosmetic blemish - but maybe I got a 'performance blemished' gun?)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: L.Leon
I'm not sure of the current structure between Martin and the folks in Texas. He used to do all the RAW assembly, so I assume he would do warranty work as well, but that may have changed. I believe the Air Force site used to mention that all RAW rifles came from their "custom shop" in TN, which of course is Martin. I just took a quick look, and I didn't see that wording. It sounds like you have engaged the TX folks, so hopefully they will find the issue. Please post the results when it's resolved, as it's a curious problem.

Gosh...sorry for the issues you all are having with the Micro's! Seems like something is amiss from the AF Micro's, hopefully a simple remedy. Has someone contacted Martin to see if he could figure this out? I am of the assumption that now AF's RAW's are now built in-house in TX and that Martin builds custom builds for his customers in TN? I could easily be wrong on my assumptions....

I am dealing with the exact same issues with my Micro Hunter, and have been in email discussions with RAW support for weeks. But I still get some fantastic 10-shot groups at 25 yards, only to be spoiled by 1 or maybe 2 flyers.

1) I have tried many pellet weights and brands from 8.44 to 13.43 (yes, mine is a .177 cal gun). (RAW has told me that they tune the guns at the factory with domed JSB 8.44 and/or 10.34 gr pellets). I have had best luck with my personal gun with 13.43 Monster Re-Designs and have been told by RAW to just experiment with those for now;
2) I have tried many different pellet velocities achieved by adjusting hammer spring tension only (I have not revised the regulator, which seems on my gun to be set around 150 bar). Latest info from RAW is to tune the HS for a velocity of ~720 fps with the 13.43's;
3) I have tried many different positions of the air stripper. I was told by RAW to start with it at the full out position. Then I adjusted it by 1/2 turn increments, sometimes 1/4 turn increments if I felt I was getting close to consistent performance;
4) At first I was using a moderator with a .30 cal hole (STO Brevitas II), but to take issues with the mod out of the equation, I have since removed it and am shooting all of my test groups without any mod;
5) I changed scopes on my gun just to make sure that wasn't the issue;
6) I have been asked by RAW to take some of my testing out from 25 to 50 yards, and that might show improved performance. But all that did was add any of my technique inconsistencies into the mix. No better groups, and still random flyers.
7) My ES and SD values are quite low - almost always in the single digit or maybe low double digits for ES for 10, 20, 30 shot groups;
8) RAW asked me for photos of the pellet probe and its interaction with the barrel breech, and said that based on the photos all was good;
9) RAW asked me for photos of the removed air stripper from different angles, but didn't see anything wrong with it;
10) I'm shooting off a Caldwell Stable Table bench, using an Accu-Tac bipod at the front and a bean bag at the rear of the rifle;
11) Based on an issue seen in the Wisconsin AirGunners video review of the gun, I checked my threaded shroud collar at the base of the shroud. Mine had not come loose, so wasn't an issue.

This gun is really starting to frustrate me, now with perhaps nearly 1,000 test pellets fired and seemingly no closer to the RAW claim of '10 meter accuracy in a compact hunting rifle." Mine was purchased directly from RAW as a blemished product (I had assumed a cosmetic blemish - but maybe I got a 'performance blemished' gun?)
We definitely share each others pain! i am frustrated and then when i articulate the cocking handle the sound and the feel make me fall un love with it again but it is really staring to bug me as the rest of the package brings me a lot of satisfaction....

You can take the “cone” out of the air stripper. I took it out of my micro. Mine shot fine and I bought a DonnyFL RYU. I installed it and the pellets I was using (Norma) went haywire. 5”-6” groups at 30 yards. The Norma pellet was never the most accurate in my micro but I could keep 10 shots inside of a quarter. The fact I have a ton of Norma pellets and I could keep 10 shots in a quarter sized group at 30 yards made the perfect for backyard plinking. Not with the RYU. The Norma pellets go all over the place. I moved that air stripper cone all around, and then just removed it. Made no difference. That said other pellets shot fine (JSB 8.44 & H&N FTT). I went ahead and put the air stripper back in so I wouldn’t loose it and just don’t shoot Norma pellets out of the Micro. The RYU has been a disappointment. It is super quiet and it‘s well made. It just didn’t live up to the review I saw by Wisconsin Airgunner on YouTube (Not saying he is bad or his review was bogus, just didn’t work for me with the same rifle and moderator). FWIW my rifle has been turned down to 12fpe for a bigger shot count for backyard plinking.