Real life lead poisoning from airgunning

Status
Not open for further replies.
But not if you remove one tile at a time, from 6 feet away, wear a mask, and take a shot with multiple boosters. Oh wait. LOL

I'm not sure that statement is based in reality. It's not good advice and even weaker humor. I suspect it is more about your disagreement with the covid mandates than anything we are discussing here.

There are protocols for removing and working with all types of hazardous materials including lead. If you are shooting in an area with a high lead dust concentration nothing you have mentioned would help much except proper respiratory protection. The best solution would be to clean up the hazard and stop the activities that caused it.

Working men in industry deal with this stuff daily. I realize for many those types of concerns seem far away and insignificant. I can assure you they are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: BABz58
Hi guys.

One post motivated me to write this topic.

I am sorry but it is not true at all. I have lead poisoning from the lead dust. It is enough when you shoot indoors frequently or you chrony your gun indoors. Our silencers are called LDCs (lead dust collectors) for a reason. Have you seen the interior of such a silencer? It is covered with lead dust. I also had a talk with an indoors shooting range employee. His BLL (blood lead level) is 10 times as high as the norm - 500 ug/L. He does not inhale lead on purpose. My BLL was about 100ug/L - twice as high as the norm. Now I am more or less at the norm level. I did some chelation to speed the excrection up.

The most dangerous form of lead is lead dust. Almost all inhaled lead is absorbed through the lungs into your bloodsteam. Then, some of it is excreted through the sweat, bile and urine. The rest is built into the bones from which the excrection can last many years.

The lead inhalation absorbtion is in contrast with the ingested lead as the absorbtion through the digestion system is about 10% only.

Stay safe guys!

Lead is no joke.
Powder coating or High Tech coating liquid powder coat almost eliminate lead dust..on coated lead slugs. .My moderators are much cleaner only running powder coated slugs...one way to minimize lead exposure and get cleaner barrels with less fouling..

Containing lead dust in the LDC and also cutting down on possible lead dust exposure is another reason why I shoot wet lubed slugs. The silicone oil lube keeps the micro particles sticking to each other and helps to stick them to the inside of the LDC on the end of the barrel.

The indoor range I've visited locally has a continuous flow of water over it's backstop presumably to reduce airborne lead. That seems like a reasonable thing to do for employees. It would also help visitors but the potential exposure in an hour or so of shooting is not like working there for 8 hours a day every day.

I agree with washing hands before handling food and other reasonable precautions. I also shoot almost exclusively outdoors and I shoot into a pellet trap that is 25-35 yards away. So any dust from the impact would seemingly not get to me. But I handle pellets and sometimes take my guns apart including the shrouds and there is obviously visible dust in the shroud. I clean it off with a wetted paper towel and throw the towel away.

Getting a test to be sure what you are doing isn't harming you is probably a reasonable idea too but I doubt I will. I think doing reasonable common sense things is enough at my age.
Gotta ask, so what do they do to or with the water?

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
Has anyone actually measured lead particle emissions with and without a suppressor? I doubt that a suppresor would reduce lead particle emissions once it became fully contminated or coated internally. Some Pb particles would be trapped inside temporarily, some would be blown out with each shot cycle. Reduction in emission would at best be only temporary. But if there is data backing up one way or the other? It could certainly ease the minds of those shooting indoors if a suppressor could actually reduce Pb emissions effectively long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubbers
This makes me wonder why a lot of pellet gun shooters are still alive, including myself. As a youngster in the 60's I put my pellets in my mouth and walked hunting doves for days on end. Many did that.

Im assuming those pellets were not sub micron size and you didnt inhale them. Thus your radiant health.

Lead dissolved in solution (like lead in the water) is a long term health threat. Putting pellets in your mouth is not a great idea but it's not going to increase lead levels unless you do it daily. Drinking water contaminated with dissolved lead daily would be much worse. Breathing sub micron sized particles would be much worse still.

I honestly don't think lead dust would be a hazard in most shooting conditions. Inside in a small area with poor circulation that is used a lot who knows? The only way to know is to test. It's simple and cheap if it's a concern.

None of us have any idea how much lead we are being exposed to unless we get tested. I've never been worried about shooting a pellet gun but that means exactly $h!t. It could be much worse than we think depending on our individual situation.

Lots of guys don't worry about hazards for lots of reasons. If quantitative tests showed elevated levels of lead on surfaces after regular airgun use I would address the hazard. Most guys would probably just ignore it and I get that.

I live near a spot that is loaded with naturally high lead levels. Lots of birth defects due to lead dust. Many people have problems from long term exposure. There was a giant superfund project to mitigate dust and stop lead from leaching into groundwater. It cost tens of millions of taxpayer dollars.

Many other places in the U.S. have high background exposure to lead and arsenic. It would be unwise to assume any potential exposure is completely harmless. Equally unwise to assume you are not being exposed to lead some other way besides shooting.

It's cumulative. The lead from the pellets you put in your mouth as a kid is building up with the lead you have accumulated over the years. It won't affect you until it does. If your lead levels are high then it would only make sense to limit exposure. Shooting lead pellets in your basement for years could certainly be a potential hazard. You wouldn't know unless you tested for lead on the surfaces.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually measured lead particle emissions with and without a suppressor?
If the silencer has any vent holes around I use a duct tape to get rid of them. I remember the lead rings imprinted on the air reservoir when the vent holes were in the shroud.

This makes me wonder why a lot of pellet gun shooters are still alive, including myself. As a youngster in the 60's I put my pellets in my mouth and walked hunting doves for days on end. Many did that.
This is not about life and death as the shooters do not suffer from the acute lead poisoning. It is more about low dose, chronic exposure. What can you expect from that? Many things. E.g. poor short term memory, low mood, depression, lower IQ, gastrointestinal issues and many, many more. It may be hard to connect the dots to determine that your quality of life was lowered because of the chronic lead exposure. The shooting range worker which I mentioned about developed diabetes.
It's cumulative. The lead from the pellets you put in your mouth as a kid is building up with the lead you have accumulated over the years. It won't affect you until it does. If your lead levels are high then it would only make sense to limit exposure. Shooting lead pellets in your basement for years could certainly be a potential hazard. You wouldn't know unless you tested for lead on the surfaces.
Exactly. Different people have different abilities to cope with heavy metals. They also excrete heavy metals with different efficiency. Some people have more tendency to accumulate.

Reactions: Stubbers
Every time this topic comes up, it just proves to me common sense ain't as common anymore. :cry:
Common sense is a start but it goes deeper than that.

While I don’t generally eat food with my hands after shooting, I often forget to wipe down my hands before I drive home. The grime on hands builds up in the wheel and gear shift and if I’m shooting a lot, will end up containing significant lead. Then when I hit the drive thru and I snack on piping hot fries …

As for the lead in air thing I suspect some facilities are much better than others. My club has a well designed indoor range with fans and a regular floor cleaning routine. They have de-lead hand soap in the restrooms. But if you shoot in your basement or garage - you need to be extra thoughtful.

And if you’re a reloader, remember priming compound contains lead styphnate, so all of that dust produced by decapping brass is toxic.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
Maybe should use a mask still or forced air respirator or stop shooting. Here is the thing, life is deadly and eventually we all get dead and somehow I think Pb poisoning will not be the end of most of us.

A lead dust collector, LDC, is a joke, it was and is a PC way of attempting to separate air guns from powder burning guns. They are suppressors and that is all they do, suppress muzzle report.

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
Very glad to see this topic discussed and people on board with the facts. I made it clear in the barrel cleaning thread that I opposed certain methods of cleaning due to the increased risk of lead exposure. It is a serious concern that all airgunners should be mindful of. Had one guy laughing at my post mentioning the risks involved, some people seem like they already suffer from some lead exposure.

Lead poisoning *most likely* won't kill ya, but it definitely can cause more cognitive impairment than natural aging, increased pain / inflammation in your body, increased hyperactivity (adhd like symptoms) and irritability, and gastrointestinal issues. Ignorance is NOT bliss. You'll be a very miserable person if you expose yourself to certain heavy metals over the course of your life to your own detriment.

So, be mindful when cleaning your barrels and LDC's, use disposable patches if possible. Always start with a wet patch. Cleaning your LDC? Give it a soak. Get things wet first before you go disturbing a collection of fine lead dust, because a wet particle won't go floating around in the air like dry particles. Avoid direct skin contact with the mass collection of lead particulates, your skin is a sponge.

-Matt

Very glad to see this topic discussed and people on board with the facts. I made it clear in the barrel cleaning thread that I opposed certain methods of cleaning due to the increased risk of lead exposure. It is a serious concern that all airgunners should be mindful of. Had one guy laughing at my post mentioning the risks involved, some people seem like they already suffer from some lead exposure.

Lead poisoning *most likely* won't kill ya, but it definitely can cause more cognitive impairment than natural aging, increased pain / inflammation in your body, increased hyperactivity (adhd like symptoms) and irritability, and gastrointestinal issues. Ignorance is NOT bliss. You'll be a very miserable person if you expose yourself to certain heavy metals over the course of your life to your own detriment.

So, be mindful when cleaning your barrels and LDC's, use disposable patches if possible. Always start with a wet patch. Cleaning your LDC? Give it a soak. Get things wet first before you go disturbing a collection of fine lead dust, because a wet particle won't go floating around in the air like dry particles. Avoid direct skin contact with the mass collection of lead particulates, your skin is a sponge.

-Matt
This is the best reply i have read so far .

Maybe should use a mask still or forced air respirator or stop shooting. Here is the thing, life is deadly and eventually we all get dead and somehow I think Pb poisoning will not be the end of most of us.

A lead dust collector, LDC, is a joke, it was and is a PC way of attempting to separate air guns from powder burning guns. They are suppressors and that is all they do, suppress muzzle report.

Moderators have been coined the name LDC because...they literally do collect a ton of dust due to the design. If you ever ran one with a light colored cloth, that cloth will go grey due to the accumulation of lead.

Heck even inside your shroud, and outside of your barrel itself will have a caked layer of lead.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.