Recommend a rifle

Line354

Aug 20, 2024
Need a new air rifle to replace an old airforce condor ss, regulated with 4500 psi tank. A 14.3 grain pellet at 950 fps does the trick. I shot from a tri pod. Have tank, air supply and a tin or two of 22/14.3 grain pellets. I would like to keep shooting Diablo style pellets. Where I shot and need to has developed over the years. I feel like a slug would be the same as a 22lr.

Need a new air rifle to replace an old airforce condor ss, regulated with 4500 psi tank. A 14.3 grain pellet at 950 fps does the trick. I shot from a tri pod. Have tank, air supply and a tin or two of 22/14.3 grain pellets. I would like to keep shooting Diablo style pellets. Where I shot and need to has developed over the years. I feel like a slug would be the same as a 22lr.
Are you saying that you want/need an air rifle that has the power of a 22lr? And are you saying you want to shoot slugs only? Standard velocity 22lr puts out about 102 fpe.

EDIT: You said you wanted to keep shooting pellets -- I need coffee -- I missed that. Sorry.

stovepipe

Maybe I'm really slow, but I don't understand what you want that you don't ready have. Can you please clarify?

stovepipe

new or used?
full length or carbine?
bullpup or traditional?
budget?

I only shoot 14 grain pellets in my Prod who's favorite is the copper plated H&N FTT.. It can't even get them up to 800 fps with a reasonable shot count so I don't see it as capable with heavier pellets. I use 18s in my Caiman X but if I reduced the regulator to 80 or 90 bar I'm sure it would shoot them and probably shoot them well. You could have any velocity you want. I prefer the ~5 lb weight of my P35 and have it shooting 21 grain pellets but I'm sure it also could be detuned to shoot 14.3s and it would increase it's shot count. I consider the Caiman X a more expensive higher end rifle but the P35 is under $500 and still pretty well made, dependable and accurate. Just depends on what you want. Both these are bull pups which I like but not everybody does.

I'm new, but .22 pellets are not going to achieve .22 LR energy levels. A .22 LR is dangerous a mile or more away. Plenty of calculators out there for plugging in velocity and pellet weight to produce an energy figure. .22 LR is a much heavier projectile, even if we can achieve the same velocity as the .22 bullet the weight will not even be close, thus neither will the energy, and range is limited. .22 LR bullet 40 grains weight, 22 pellet 14 grains weight. Even at the same velocity the pellet might be 40 FPE the .22 LR above 100 FPE. Not even close.

I'm new, but .22 pellets are not going to achieve .22 LR energy levels. A .22 LR is dangerous a mile or more away. Plenty of calculators out there for plugging in velocity and pellet weight to produce an energy figure. .22 LR is a much heavier projectile, even if we can achieve the same velocity as the .22 bullet the weight will not even be close, thus neither will the energy, and range is limited. .22 LR bullet 40 grains weight, 22 pellet 14 grains weight. Even at the same velocity the pellet might be 40 FPE the .22 LR above 100 FPE. Not even close.
I think the OP wants to avoid using slugs and 22lr's to prevent any property damage. Sounds like he is after a moderate pellet fpe to be safer.

Avenge-X should be a good replacement to your airforce condor, easy to tune and will shoot over 1050 fps with 14.3 pellet, you can dial it down to lower 900 as needed, it's a powerful rifle for $500. If you want something more compact and a bit less fps for half the cost, then go with the Umarex Notos for $250. Out of the box it will give you 750~770 fps and 18 fpe all day long.

what and how you shoot would help to narrow the rifles down . what are you looking to do , target , hunt . fix or repair daily ?