Other Recommendations for a newie

"Hello guys 👋

I'm looking to buy my first PCP rifle. I live in Mexico, and it's quite challenging to find a good quality/price option.

After researching on this forum and YouTube, I found two promising choices, and I would love to hear your recommendations on which one to buy:

* Air Venturi Avenger X
* JTS Airacuda Max

I should mention that I'll be using the rifle mainly for plinking and target shooting.

Also, for each rifle, which scope would you recommend?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate your advice

Umarex Notos or Zelos would be great beginner guns. Notos if you're ok with sub 50 yards primarily, and Zelos for beyond that. I would avoid the JTS personally, and for a beginner, you cannot go wrong with the notos, low cost of entry, and a very fun little gun provided you remain within its limits.

Also consider you would want a method to refill a PCP, such as a hand pump (booo) or a compressor and ideally a tank that can hold 4,500 psi.

Scope wise, would you prefer SFP or FFP? If you aren't familiar, SFP stands for second focal plane, the reticle will remain the same size through the magnification range however you will have to calculate for your point of aim as it changes with magnification alone and distance, where as FFP, the reticle size will change through the magnification range which self compensates for point of aim, so your point of aim will only change based on distance. Hopefully I explained that well enough.

For the NOTOS, I would slap the discovery 2-12x24 sfir FFP scope on it.

-Matt

Umarex Notos or Zelos would be great beginner guns. Notos if you're ok with sub 50 yards primarily, and Zelos for beyond that. I would avoid the JTS personally, and for a beginner, you cannot go wrong with the notos, low cost of entry, and a very fun little gun provided you remain within its limits.

Also consider you would want a method to refill a PCP, such as a hand pump (booo) or a compressor and ideally a tank that can hold 4,500 psi.

Scope wise, would you prefer SFP or FFP? If you aren't familiar, SFP stands for second focal plane, the reticle will remain the same size through the magnification range however you will have to calculate for your point of aim as it changes with magnification alone and distance, where as FFP, the reticle size will change through the magnification range which self compensates for point of aim, so your point of aim will only change based on distance. Hopefully I explained that well enough.

For the NOTOS, I would slap the discovery 2-12x24 sfir FFP scope on it.

-Matt
Thanks for the help, I'll look for that options :D

Wildkatz,
Purchased a JTS Airacuda Max .25 in October 2022, regretted it ever since. Having searched the AGN archives regarding this airgun I'm sure you've read of my experiences. Air Venturi Avenger has always been a popular entry level PCP, the recent upgraded version, Avenge-X, has had a positive reception. Big fan of Vector Veyron scopes but WestHunter and Marcool are also good choices for entry level. WM

I don't know about the Airacuda Max, but I got a regular Airacuda in the AGD mystery box and gave it to my son for his birthday. It's a solid rifle. Seems to be all metal construction and we haven't had any issues with it yet. The Max seems to be more problematic than the standard model. I put an Athlon Neos on it for him. That's the step below the Talos. But I've got a Talos on two of my rifles as well. Those Athlon scopes are are great value for the price.

Reactions: WildKatz
I have an Avenger in 25 but I don't shoot it a lot. It's long is my main reason. I still like it but I like bullpups which are much shorter. It will need a moderator to be reasonably quiet (which makes it even longer). I also don't like the amount of plastic in the functional parts of the gun. I think the Avenge X is undoubtedly better but it isn't a bullpup. There is an updated bullpup version of the Avenger now with side cocking but I think it's kind of heavy.

My favorites are my three P35s. You would get them from Krale who is not in the U. S., but that might be better for you. The Stoeger bullshark is about the same thing but a pound heavier. P35 is a about 5 lbs. It needs a little shroud work to be really quiet but the changes are not expensive or hard to do. I think it's better in 22 or 177. My 25 is OK but doesn't really handle heavier pellets well (although it seems to be the most accurate with them). I shot a 200 on the 30 yard challenge with my P35-22 last year. They are pretty accurate.

For any small gun I like a Vector Veyron. I use the SFP 6-24X. There are advantages to FFP (mainly the markings on the scope mean the same thing regardless of magnification) but a FFP with a thin reticle will not be usable at it's lower powers because you won't be able to see the reticle. I like 24X for target work but prefer 6X for hunting/pesting. Krale also has this scope for less than $200 US. If you want something less expensive the only one I've had good luck with Hawke Vantage 2-7X and they also offer 3-9 and other magnifications. If you want to go up in price (or can afford to) I think Arken are excellent value. The latest model is a bit under $300 with discounts. They are all FFP. I also like Athlon scopes. I have a Athlon Talos 6-24 on my P35-177.

"Hello guys 👋

I'm looking to buy my first PCP rifle. I live in Mexico, and it's quite challenging to find a good quality/price option.

After researching on this forum and YouTube, I found two promising choices, and I would love to hear your recommendations on which one to buy:

* Air Venturi Avenger X
* JTS Airacuda Max

I should mention that I'll be using the rifle mainly for plinking and target shooting.

Also, for each rifle, which scope would you recommend?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate your advice

I like my Avenge-X. I am currently running a Vortex Crossfire II 6 to 18. If I were to go less expensive on the scope I would do a CenterPoint 6 to 20. I will switch to a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50mm or Athlon Agros 10-40x56 shortly for my needs.

Here how is working for me on low power out of the box.

I would recommend a pre-owned Daystate brand rifle, like a Huntsman. Daystate is one of the best quality manufacturers out there and their products last. Check out the classifieds here on AN. I bought two Daystate's on here. Air Arms and BSA are two other British branded rifles I own and highly recommend.

Daystate Astile.jpg

Daystate cotton wood tree.jpg

AAS510 Carbine.jpg

BSA R10 Sparrow Watch.jpg