Red dot, first time!

Finally got ahold of a red dot.
Slapped this on my 2289 and grabbed my plinking ammo. I'm getting better groups than with my scope🤔🤣
First pic is dot
Second pic is a 3inch sticker at 10yards/ sighting in
Third pic is a 1inch sticker at 10 yards*First attempt🤯
Last pic is a 5 shot string at 10 yards.
I think I found a new optic obsession 🤣🤌

Screenshot_20221217-180335_Chrome.jpg

20221217_174055.jpg

20221217_174238.jpg

20221217_174556.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. I like to look for dot sights that can go as small as 3moa. Any larger than that covers up the black bullseye of the little 1" orange target stickers. On some models, turning the illumination down to minimum gets you a smaller, more precise dot.
That's what I did. Use it on setting 1🤷‍♂️

I suspect there may be an AT3 red dot with 4x magnifier under the tree. Cannot verify until Christmas morning. :giggle:
I've liked the AT3 models and have several of them on some powderburner pistols. Also have one on my home defense shotgun, arrow gun, and a DAQ pistol. Good dots for the money. Recently traded the one on my shotgun for a prism scope to try it out. If I dont like the prism, I'll go right back to AT3, unless I find a good cheap LPVO listed.

Reactions: silvershooter589
Cool. I like to look for dot sights that can go as small as 3moa. Any larger than that covers up the black bullseye of the little 1" orange target stickers. On some models, turning the illumination down to minimum gets you a smaller, more precise dot.
There are many today that use a 2moa dot size, and one or two that even go down to...1 moa dot size !

I prefer going a little more expensive. With sights like that of the Holosun brand, you get many benefits, like 50,000 hours of battery life, a safety that allows the sight to be left in the 'on" position with little to no battery drainage. Some have solar cells on them that will allow shooting even with a...dead battery ! And yeah, these all have the 2moa dot size for even better target acquisition.
Also, many body styles/designs to choose from also.

Mike

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
There are many today that use a 2moa dot size, and one or two that even go down to...1 moa dot size !

I prefer going a little more expensive. With sights like that of the Holosun brand, you get many benefits, like 50,000 hours of battery life, a safety that allows the sight to be left in the 'on" position with little to no battery drainage. Some have solar cells on them that will allow shooting even with a...dead battery ! And yeah, these all have the 2moa dot size for even better target acquisition.
Also, many body styles/designs to choose from also.

Mike
and the ACSS reticle is great for fast target pickup. I really like the chevron opposed to the dot. Got one on a Canik SFX Rival and it's top notch

and the ACSS reticle is great for fast target pickup. I really like the chevron opposed to the dot. Got one on a Canik SFX Rival and it's top notch
Yes sir.
I just thought of the "chevron" or even the "delta" (solid triangle). Primary Arms, Meprolight (I have versions of both), and others have the various triangles to choose from. Holosun also has a version of the Primary Arms Chevron on a couple of their sights.

These use a fine point to set the target to.

Mike

I have been having so much fun with the AT3 2MOA "shake awake" red dot with 4x magnifier combo. I took a 24x FFP scope off my AEA Challenger Pro thinking I'll just try it out and probably move it to another gun. Hmmm... I don't think so! I am blasting metal targets at 50+ yards just as easily as with a scope.

Lightened up the gun a little versus the big scope on it before. As far as accuracy... I'll put it this way. I have a lot of metal targets and spinners set up at the edge of the yard. Most of them are the smallest kind, a few are bigger. Off a bench at 50 yards me and my wife are hitting targets with 95%+ success rate. And they're getting absolutely blasted with these NSA 61.5 grains.

I need to get a sling on this gun for better off hand accuracy. It's not exactly designed for one very well (I do have an air tube clamp with picatinny rail which I may try reinstalling after putting grip-tape on the air tube).

So I've pretty much dedicated my Guantlet 2 .30 for "long range shooting" for now and this Challenger is set up for some easy closer range target acquisition.

Sorry for the weird rotated/cropped bad lighting photo. You get the idea. Yes, I also usually remember to put the safety on :rolleyes:

hehe.jpg

rere.jpg

I have been having so much fun with the AT3 2MOA "shake awake" red dot with 4x magnifier combo. I took a 24x FFP scope off my AEA Challenger Pro thinking I'll just try it out and probably move it to another gun. Hmmm... I don't think so! I am blasting metal targets at 50+ yards just as easily as with a scope.

Lightened up the gun a little versus the big scope on it before. As far as accuracy... I'll put it this way. I have a lot of metal targets and spinners set up at the edge of the yard. Most of them are the smallest kind, a few are bigger. Off a bench at 50 yards me and my wife are hitting targets with 95%+ success rate. And they're getting absolutely blasted with these NSA 61.5 grains.

I need to get a sling on this gun for better off hand accuracy. It's not exactly designed for one very well (I do have an air tube clamp with picatinny rail which I may try reinstalling after putting grip-tape on the air tube).

So I've pretty much dedicated my Guantlet 2 .30 for "long range shooting" for now and this Challenger is set up for some easy closer range target acquisition.

Sorry for the weird rotated/cropped bad lighting photo. You get the idea. Yes, I also usually remember to put the safety on :rolleyes:

View attachment 318410
View attachment 318409
That's a lovely set up. I'm thinking my red dot could use some magnification

That's a lovely set up. I'm thinking my red dot could use some magnification

The magnifier weighs more than the red dot itself. But I didn't think 4x would be such a significant zoom either.

I'm still keeping my ADE red dot reflex sight unmaginfied on my Hatsan Hydra. That gun is way less accurate, way less powerful @ 40 fpe, but also much lighter. Using it with a scope has been an exercise in frustration... very pellet picky and likes H&N Hunters the best, so that's what I feed it ... with a simple cheap open reflex sight I think it's found it's best purpose. To add more weight to get some magnification on that gun would be a negative, I think.

It sure is fun to experiment with these things though!

The magnifier weighs more than the red dot itself. But I didn't think 4x would be such a significant zoom either.

I'm still keeping my ADE red dot reflex sight unmaginfied on my Hatsan Hydra. That gun is way less accurate, way less powerful @ 40 fpe, but also much lighter. Using it with a scope has been an exercise in frustration... very pellet picky and likes H&N Hunters the best, so that's what I feed it ... with a simple cheap open reflex sight I think it's found it's best purpose. To add more weight to get some magnification on that gun would be a negative, I think.

It sure is fun to experiment with these things though!
Experimenting is an objective for me. End goal is enjoying my time🤷‍♂️🤌

View attachment 318410
View attachment 318409
Ok so I had the right concept going but my calculations were offf🧐🤣🤷‍♂️ don't worry. This atrocity no longer exists in this form🤪🤙

20221229_172001.jpg