Red Dot or Scope?

ok.So I went with the umarex notos. Thanks for the input. Now I need to get an option on optics. If you watch Air Gun Detective on you-tube. That is basically what i am going to be doing with the Notos.I'm not going to go over 30-40 yards for now. I like that Sig MSR and then I like a high power scope to see right where the pellet hit. Any help?Normally I would just buy both. But after the housing market crash and covid,I am no longer a money tree.LOL

Reactions: Firewalker
I feel your pain. I can see a red dot and have the Sig sight. However, I have moderate astigmatism. The red dot is more like a mushy red comet. If you have an astigmatism or cataracts or even very early cataracts as do I as well, you might rethink the red dot. I use mine to about 10 yards for night pesting up closer than my scope and light can easily manage. Beyond that it is useless.

On one hand, with the "proper setup", a red dot and an astigmatism "can" work.
Been there, I have the dreaded astigmatism, and...most of my guns, have...red dot sights !!

On the other hand , DON'T forget the "prism" sights. They are kind of a cross between a red dot, and a scope. You have an astigmatism...the Prism sight doesn't care ! Once you set the clarity by adjusting the first lens, the reticle is as clear as ANYTHING youll ever see !
You can buy them in several multiplications, I've seen 1x, 3x and 5x. There may be others.
Price, just like the sight, between a quality red dot, and a cheaper scope.

Then there is the scope.

Like I said above, most of my guns (both pistol and rifle) have quality red dot sights. BUT...more and more, some of my guns have been swapped to a "prism" sight. One of the best things about the prism, while they all have lit up reticle, you don't NEED a battery. Just like an old fashioned scope, the retical is black !! So if you like colored recitals, yeah, you'll need batteries. But...you don't need...them, to use the sight.

Mike

I feel your pain. I can see a red dot and have the Sig sight. However, I have moderate astigmatism. The red dot is more like a mushy red comet. If you have an astigmatism or cataracts or even very early cataracts as do I as well, you might rethink the red dot. I use mine to about 10 yards for night pesting up closer than my scope and light can easily manage. Beyond that it is useless.
Thanks.Kinda thinking scope.......gary

ok.So I went with the umarex notos. Thanks for the input. Now I need to get an option on optics. If you watch Air Gun Detective on you-tube. That is basically what i am going to be doing with the Notos.I'm not going to go over 30-40 yards for now. I like that Sig MSR and then I like a high power scope to see right where the pellet hit. Any help?Normally I would just buy both. But after the housing market crash and covid,I am no longer a money tree.LOL
Check out the Arkin zulus 5-20

Reactions: Airgun Al
I would suggest that you buy both, and switch them out as needed. For not much money the Bushnell TRS-25 is an excellent red dot, that will leave you some cash to try a rifle scope, as well. We use the Bushnell on several air rifles.

(Just so you know I am not cheaping out here, I run an Aimpoint Comp-ML2 on my PB.)

I think it depends on what you're going to be attempting to hit at 30-40 yards, and under what conditions. I have found a red dot sight useful only under conditions in which I would be shooting almost instinctively, barely using the sight. For instance, I have one on an M4 carbine for defense. I prefer a traditional scope for any stationary target. But it's personal preference.

I would suggest that you buy both, and switch them out as needed. For not much money the Bushnell TRS-25 is an excellent red dot, that will leave you some cash to try a rifle scope, as well. We use the Bushnell on several air rifles.

(Just so you know I am not cheaping out here, I run an Aimpoint Comp-ML2 on my PB.)
It's funny you said that because that's exactly what I was going to do. There $100 both. Both got the best reviews and if they turn out to be junk. I will return them.

Astigmatism …. I have that too. “Pinhole glasses” clear it iup significantly. These things are solid black “lenses” full of lots of tiny holes. By limiting the amount of light getting through each hole it seems to correct your vision to some degree … not sure exactly how it works. But these pinhole glasses are cheap, I use them for shooting all the time.

Reactions: Treefrog
I have two notos. Red dot on the pistol and a scope on the rifle. The red dot was $12 and the scope was $30.

I have the most fun shooting steel with the pistol, but if I have to take care of a pest, I go for the scoped rifle. For some reason I just don't find the rifle/scope notos that fun to shoot. It's a great tool for pesting though.

It's pretty amazing how accurate a cheap red dot can be. I can usually hit a 1"x3" (piano key) gong about 1/2 the time with notos pistol/red dot at 50 yards.

I have two notos. Red dot on the pistol and a scope on the rifle. The red dot was $12 and the scope was $30.

I have the most fun shooting steel with the pistol, but if I have to take care of a pest, I go for the scoped rifle. For some reason I just don't find the rifle/scope notos that fun to shoot. It's a great tool for pesting though.

It's pretty amazing how accurate a cheap red dot can be. I can usually hit a 1"x3" (piano key) gong about 1/2 the time with notos pistol/red dot at 50 yards.
They (dot sights) aren't...really accurate...or not !
It's just a dot on the screen. It's how well the shooter utilizes the dot is whether the target it hit or not.

So...I guess that says a lot about you.

Mike

They (dot sights) aren't...really accurate...or not !
It's just a dot on the screen. It's how well the shooter utilizes the dot is whether the target it hit or not.

So...I guess that says a lot about you.

Mike

Thanks, but I should clarify that's shooting with the pistol on a sandbag.

The one great thing about a scope with all the zoomies is that you can see where you're missing. OTOH, with a red dot you've basically got to waste a bunch of ammo trying to figure out your hold.

Shooting paper at any kind of distance is much more fun with a scope.

I also have astigmatism, but I don't get any flare around the dot outside in natural light...inside is another story

Thanks, but I should clarify that's shooting with the pistol on a sandbag.

The one great thing about a scope with all the zoomies is that you can see where you're missing. OTOH, with a red dot you've basically got to waste a bunch of ammo trying to figure out your hold.

Shooting paper at any kind of distance is much more fun with a scope.
No...not really, I don't "waste" any ammo !!
The only time I waste any ammo, is when I put a new "aiming device" on a gun. Be it a scope, a red dot, or the SeeAll as shown above !

To me...makes NO difference, the distance or the sighting device. As long as I hit what I'm aiming at.
And yeah...no "crutches" (benches, bags, single, bi, or tripods) for me, I shoot everything I own, offhand.
I KNOW my guns can shoot well, no secret there. I'm testing...myself.

Mike