HW/Weihrauch Reminder to check those springs, gents.

FWIW I've had problems with every springer I own. It's not unique to HW. You would expect them to be "perfect" from the factory but that is a fantasy.

Most of us are going to fiddle with whatever we buy. The HW is still one of the best platforms to fiddle with. I'll bet more guys replace brand new springs with Vortek kits than experience spring failures with factory springs.

I'll shoot whatever is in my hand and make it work. If it breaks under warranty I'll ship it back. Otherwise I'll polish it up and drop a kit in it. That just comes with the territory when shooting springers.

No buyers remorse here. If I get frustrated that my German air rifle is broken I pick up a Turkish gun and break it. Sooner or later they are all going to have broken springs and torn seals. If they don't then I need to shoot more.

FWIW I've had problems with every springer I own. It's not unique to HW. You would expect them to be "perfect" from the factory but that is a fantasy.

Most of us are going to fiddle with whatever we buy. The HW is still one of the best platforms to fiddle with. I'll bet more guys replace brand new springs with Vortek kits than experience spring failures with factory springs.

I'll shoot whatever is in my hand and make it work. If it breaks under warranty I'll ship it back. Otherwise I'll polish it up and drop a kit in it. That just comes with the territory when shooting springers.

No buyers remorse here. If I get frustrated that my German air rifle is broken I pick up a Turkish gun and break it. Sooner or later they are all going to have broken springs and torn seals. If they don't then I need to shoot more.
That's true, all springers will eventually need to be repaired. I've had to replace springs and seals in all my air guns.
Bit it just seems like the HW factory springs break to soon. I would never give up my HW rifles now that I have them running great.

Assuming that they buy their springs in lots, there was probably a batch from their supplier with a sub par heat treat.
How soon they cycle through them would depend on production numbers and quantity of springs per lot purchased.
If done in house, they definitely need to retrain their heat treat crew.

My 97k went back under warranty for not latching, but they never told me what failed. They would only tell me the work they did. I had a Vortek kit installed, and trigger work done. I only paid for the kit, they covered shipping both ways.
At the same time that the 97k was having latching problems it often latched without the safety engaged.
Often times when the safety doesn't latch it's because the cocking wasn't bottomed out when pulling down. You should be able to give a good pull at the bottom and pop out the safety. I've never had a problem with loose pins or wallowed out pin holes, but I guess this could be an issue with the safety as well.
I've never tried a vortek spring so I can't comment on those. But JM springs are good and have a history of long life. That said, springs piston and breech seals are consumables and will need replacing over time. My prosport has it's factory spring with less than 2K shots on it right now, but when, if, it breaks or gives problems, I will replace it with a JM spring.

Reactions: .20calguy
That's true, all springers will eventually need to be repaired. I've had to replace springs and seals in all my air guns.
Bit it just seems like the HW factory springs break to soon. I would never give up my HW rifles now that I have them running great.
Yeah. Something is rotten in Denmark.

As long as they keep putting them in for free I'll keep breaking them. I'm hoping the replacement springs are a different batch. If not I'll just break them all and then they'll have to make a batch of new ones for you guys.

It's a common problem the manufacturer certainly knows about. They honor the warranty though. That is about all you can expect. They are probably as mad about that bunch of springs as the customers are. If they are willing to make it right for the customer and the outfit doing the repairs they have done the best they can.

I'm almost embarrassed to send another rifle back to AOA. Pyramid too. But they keep smiling and honoring that warranty. It's not the ideal situation but it just doesn't bother me that much anymore. I just get another date and dance with her until the old one comes back to town.

Reactions: r1lover and Moog
It must be going around. I've had 2 new HW rifles in the past 6 months with broken springs. HW95 and HW97. Both started out great but within 3k shots lost velocity. Broken springs.

AOA repaired them both under warranty using the factory parts. I have about 3k shots through the 95 and it so far things are great. I'll probably drop an ARH kit in them if they break again.

I bought an HW95 from Pyramid a couple years ago. Couldn't make it shoot a group. I sent it back for replacement. The rifle they sent back drove tacks for 1500 shots then lost power. It was only shooting about 450 fps. I got a refund.

They are great rifles and I'm happy with them. But when lightning strikes three times there is a problem.
This isn’t what I’m wanting to hear. As I’m waiting on a new HW95 to arrive this week!

Reactions: bustachip
Often times when the safety doesn't latch it's because the cocking wasn't bottomed out when pulling down. You should be able to give a good pull at the bottom and pop out the safety. I've never had a problem with loose pins or wallowed out pin holes, but I guess this could be an issue with the safety as well.
I've never tried a vortek spring so I can't comment on those. But JM springs are good and have a history of long life. That said, springs piston and breech seals are consumables and will need replacing over time. My prosport has it's factory spring with less than 2K shots on it right now, but when, if, it breaks or gives problems, I will replace it with a JM spring.
It bothered me that AoA wouldn't say what failed. The gun got harder to latch as I got into my 7th tin, or 3000+ rounds. The last time I shot it I made four unsuccessful latch attempts, and thought, yup that's definitely not right. and shipped it back. I also complained about a creepy second stage on the trigger, and consistant dieseling.
The turnaround was pretty quick. I got a notice of the rifle shipping back but no correspondence. So I called them and they could only tell me that they installed a vortek kit, and cleaned up the trigger.
The rifle is still dieseling so far, but is substantially improved in every area but weight. Lol

AoA is prompt, and does nice work. I would have appreciated better communication, in the end.
I got the notice that my gun was ready from UPS.
:)
20240702_183453.jpg

Last edited:
It bothered me that AoA wouldn't say what failed. The gun got harder to latch as I got into my 7th tin, or 3000+ rounds. The last time I shot it I made four unsuccessful latch attempts, and thought, yup that's definitely not right. and shipped it back. I also complained about a creepy second stage on the trigger, and consistant dieseling.
The turnaround was pretty quick. I got a notice of the rifle shipping back but no correspondence. So I called them and they could only tell me that they installed a vortek kit, and cleaned up the trigger.
The rifle is still dieseling so far, but is substantially improved in every area but weight. Lol
View attachment 481770
I'm a believer in communication. On all my dealings with AOA I have called or emailed first. Then followed up by email soon after. I've always got good communication from Shane at AOA.

He's a busy guy. But if you make a request he will get it done. If you want a detailed report on what was done in sure he can do that. Maybe not after the repairs but if you request it in advance I bet they would oblige.

My rifles came back right. On the 95 there was lots of notes and info on the service ticket. Good details. I expected that on the 97 but info was scarce. It's probably the tech that did the repair that wrote those notes. So depending on the person, the workload, etc. Those notes may or may not capture the full scope of work.

I'm happy with the work. I haven't broken the gun down and looked at it but there is not much in there to look at. They didn't polish or install a kit. So how well they bump the corners and polish things is unknown. I'm assuming they just put a new spring and seal in and did what was needed to get it back together without nicking the seal.

I would have confidence the gun is right. Unless problems arise I wouldn't overanalyze things. After a repair on a new gun a guy wonders about all kinds of stuff. That just gets in the way of enjoying the gun.

Don't focus on any of that. Focus on putting a thousand rounds downrange. When you reach that goal you will praise that rifle with the Vortek kit.

If something else goes wrong don't sweat that either. Just contact AOA and open a dialogue. In my experience they do the best they can to support you. If you don't get good service scream and yell and wave your fists in the air. I don't think that will be needed though.

That's a fine gun that will shoot extremely well even with a broken spring, a nicked seal and a blown breech seal. Don't sweat the smoke in the barrel. Breathe it in deeply. Put some nail polish on that trigger adjustment screw, a limbsaver pad on the butt and a shoot the thing until the cocking lever falls off.

AoA is prompt, and does nice work. I would have appreciated better communication, in the end.
I got the notice that my gun was ready from UPS.
:)
View attachment 481770
So the 97 has a vortek now? How does it compare with the factory spring velocity wise?

My 97 still has the factory spring. It was fitted with a spring guide and top hat by Motorhead when it was new. I had other friends buy 97s at the same time that had broken springs within a couple months. I think a tight spring guide dampens the vibrations and makes the spring last much longer. I was just checking, and It looks like I bought in in the fall of 2016.

I'm a believer in communication. On all my dealings with AOA I have called or emailed first. Then followed up by email soon after. I've always got good communication from Shane at AOA.

He's a busy guy. But if you make a request he will get it done. If you want a detailed report on what was done in sure he can do that. Maybe not after the repairs but if you request it in advance I bet they would oblige.

My rifles came back right. On the 95 there was lots of notes and info on the service ticket. Good details. I expected that on the 97 but info was scarce. It's probably the tech that did the repair that wrote those notes. So depending on the person, the workload, etc. Those notes may or may not capture the full scope of work.

I'm happy with the work. I haven't broken the gun down and looked at it but there is not much in there to look at. They didn't polish or install a kit. So how well they bump the corners and polish things is unknown. I'm assuming they just put a new spring and seal in and did what was needed to get it back together without nicking the seal.

I would have confidence the gun is right. Unless problems arise I wouldn't overanalyze things. After a repair on a new gun a guy wonders about all kinds of stuff. That just gets in the way of enjoying the gun.

Don't focus on any of that. Focus on putting a thousand rounds downrange. When you reach that goal you will praise that rifle with the Vortek kit.

If something else goes wrong don't sweat that either. Just contact AOA and open a dialogue. In my experience they do the best they can to support you. If you don't get good service scream and yell and wave your fists in the air. I don't think that will be needed though.

That's a fine gun that will shoot extremely well even with a broken spring, a nicked seal and a blown breech seal. Don't sweat the smoke in the barrel. Breathe it in deeply. Put some nail polish on that trigger adjustment screw, a limbsaver pad on the butt and a shoot the thing until the cocking lever falls off.
I see that you received a service ticket. I did not. The only notice that I got was from UPS, that I had a package coming from AoA.
When I opened the box it was only my rifle, no paperwork. I waited a week before I called AoA to ask about it. They apologized and offered to send my original spring.
The work they did is quite an improvement.

I see that you received a service ticket. I did not. The only notice that I got was from UPS, that I had a package coming from AoA.
When I opened the box it was only my rifle, no paperwork. I waited a week before I called AoA to ask about it. They apologized and offered to send my original spring.
The work they did is quite an improvement.
They were probably so busy dealing with my constant pestering they let it slip through the cracks.

I hope the rifle is a hammer. It sure looks sweet. My 97 is in the black synthetic. I love the wood and laminates though. I got the synthetic so I would not worry about scratches. But it's not beautiful like the wood.

I had to rma 2 times to get a good one or I should say one I could get going good ..lol

Then I guess they need to do more more expensive guns and increase the pre order times .. just seems after covid hw just can't seem to get there ball rolling . And like here these later guns seem to be having there issues .. that's if one you want is even readly available at there inflated pricing today ..lol

I'm not buying ..
I have never had a problem getting a good one, from Diana or Weihrauch. Suite yourself not buying. But if you think your going to buy better without paying hundreds more, and I mean HUNDREDS your in for bad news.

Like was said, every one will need maintenance at some time. I'll pay 100 bucks for a Vortek kit kit and have a rifle you won't beat for less than a 1000 dollars more from any manufacturer.

The one thing I find with my Weihrauch rifles is, nothing is better balanced or more ergonomic, and nothing shoulders better or shoots better offhand in the field for me.

If you only look one place to buy yours, they might be out of stock,,,, probably because of higher demand than others. But I can buy any one if I look other places than AOA!

Make no mistake I'm not saying I have never had an issue with an airgun, I'm saying they all have had their issues at times. But with the Weihrauch over all others, the fix is fast simple, and parts are always available, if not factory, from better after market suppliers if you want to go that rout. Many different manufactured rifles you cant even buy OEM parts for on many guns, especially older models,, not so with Weihrauch. Kinda like owning a Harley or a Honda, some day there will be no parts for the Honda models, but every Harley ever made you can find parts for!

Cry over paying now, or cry with a club later? We all have a choice.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
My 97 still has the factory spring. It was fitted with a spring guide and top hat by Motorhead when it was new. I had other friends buy 97s at the same time that had broken springs within a couple months. I think a tight spring guide dampens the vibrations and makes the spring last much longer. I was just checking, and It looks like I bought in in the fall of 2016.
That is an astute observation my friend. One that I've pondered myself.

I think there is a problem with the factory springs. But I also think they would last longer when they are better contained and don't have much twist friction involved. It just stands to reason a spring will last longer if the movement is more under control.

I believe the vortek kits guide the spring inside, outside and even between the coils. And I know the wire gauge, pitch and length makes a bunch of difference in longevity too. I have no idea how much difference it makes or how much each factor adds in.

For me longevity is more important than velocity or a smooth shot cycle. With a lifetime warranty I'll shoot whatever spring they stuff in there. At least for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deerstalker
My factory 97K spring broke at 2K shots, it still shot ok, but cocking wasn't right. Mine only broke near the end in two pieces. Also broke a Hornet spring on the top hat end, maybe 5K shots I really don't remember. Currently running an old JM QX 4600 with thousands of shots and still going strong. Factory springs are brittle.

exact same thing happened to my 97KT.