Benjamin [RESOLVED] Are these good picks as my first Marauder .22 pellets?

tegridy

Jul 14, 2024
Screen shot attached. Thanks in advance for looking :)

I wanted to grab a variety of grains. the super light "Predator" will be used for long distance plinking and just messing around. The others are a variety of grains I intend to use for small/medium game. I know a .25 would have been better than a .22 for this, but if I can get myself a turkey this year then that would be really cool; that's what the heaviest grain in my list is for. My main goal here is to have something that could dispatch a turkey using a .22.

For the turkey hunting, I can't imagine I'd be more than like 8-10 meters out max. For the long range plinking, that's just going to be for shooting at inanimate targets for fun, basically just to see how far I can push the rifle.

Thoughts?

I'm trying to stick to Pyramyd because I am in the US and also their "buy four" deal.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that this specific Maurador will be the "Regulated" model with the "Lothar Walther" barrel.

image0.png

Last edited:
I would get JSB 18.13 grain dome pellets:

And JSB Hades:

A Crosman Premier Hollowpoint from Walmart at $7 per tin of 500. Most Walmart stores have them on the shelf.

Last edited:
Reactions: tegridy
The GTO alloy pellets are fun in my M-Rod .25 rifles. I can push them supersonic, especially on winter days. And they are surprisingly accurate out to about 20, maybe 25, yards where they transition back to subsonic and wander off course. How they might do in a stock M-Rod .22, no idea. They shoot decent in my Gamo Urban but are not equal to JSB or Crosman for accuracy.

Reactions: tegridy
Depends on how your gun is tuned. I’d be surprised if the last two gave you good accuracy. The heavier pellets have higher BC, so better for long range. You might be disappointed in the velocity you get with the 25 gr. in a stock Marauder.
Thanks. I forgot to mention this, but does it matter than it's the "regulated" model?

the thought process for me, was lighter grain for long range/plinking and heavy grain for closer shots at turkey's. like probably like probably 8-10 meters max if I had to guess for turkey

It is really best to settle on one or two pellets that your rifle shoots accurately. Otherwise you will need to re-zero your sighting system constantly. Especially going from weight extremes.
well, yeah, but my point is that I have zero experience. So I should try a variety in order for me to find out what my rifle likes. If I just buy one then I'm never going to know.

I would get JSB 18.13 grain dome pellets:

And JSB Hades:

A Crosman Premier Hollowpoint from Walmart at $7 per tin of 500. Most Walmart stores have them on the shelf.
Thanks. On the JSB 18.13 dome's, why those over the same but 25.39 I have in my cart?

The GTO alloy pellets are fun in my M-Rod .25 rifles. I can push them supersonic, especially on winter days. And they are surprisingly accurate out to about 20, maybe 25, yards where they transition back to subsonic and wander off course. How they might do in a stock M-Rod .22, no idea. They shoot decent in my Gamo Urban but are not equal to JSB or Crosman for accuracy.
what are some upgrades that you might expect to see in a Maraudor to improve this? I'm seeing many people mention upgrades for this rifle, but all I see on Benjamin's own website is basically just compressor adapters and tanks. lol.

thank you

I agree!! My 22 Marauder shoots the CPHP's very well. I shoot in my backyard so my average distance is 25-35yds. I really can't say how they might perform if you're looking to reach out a lot further.
thanks, I will keep this in mind. For turkey hunting I can't imagine it would be more than maybe 8-10 meters. for the long range stuff, that's just going to be me plinking at inanimate targets for fun and seeing how far I can push the gun. Target practice basically.

I'd FIRST go to Wally World (or wherever is local to you) and pick up some Crosman Premiers and try them in your gun. Inexpensive and if your gun shoots them well you can always pick up other pellets later if you desire, or Not.

Regarding your choices...
*I'd skip all of them go with JTS Domed in 16, 18 & 22 grainers. I'd double up on the 18 grainer to get you to four.
My latest results in 25 & 22 caliber show JTS & AEA more accurate and much more consistent (less flyers) than what WAS my old standard JSB. Very very few imperfections with the JTS & AEA pellets.
As you've probably already noticed==> the 'Free' tin of pellets are the cheapest ones in your cart.

I'd skip the 25 grainers as again "depending on the tune" of your Marauder I don't believe it will have enough velocity to make this a worthwhile choice.

I'd avoid the Hornets for now, too expensive, maybe later you can pick some up to play with.
I'd also avoid any 'lead free' pellets unless you are required to hunt with them in your locale.

You don't note where you're from... If you're from my area (SW Oregon), I've got a large selection that you could try at my range. Sure others would oblige also.

I'm always perplexed when guys say 'Long Range'. It's a pretty ambiguous term. I personally consider over 50 (to 100) yards long range for pellets (depending on the airgun, it could be as short as 35 yards!). Those new to PCP's, are often coming from centerfire experience and often have unrealistic expectations for how far they can shoot with pellets.

Jerry

Last edited:
what are some upgrades that you might expect to see in a Maraudor to improve this? I'm seeing many people mention upgrades for this rifle, but all I see on Benjamin's own website is basically just compressor adapters and tanks. lol.

thank you
You would need to do quite a bit to your rifle to utilize the heavier pellets at velocities you would want, 800 to 900 fps. Modding the valve, bigger porting and transfer port, FFH or SSG, possibly a JSAR or Tim Hill valve. And your shot count will drop off. It is all a compromise, with greater power comes fewer shots. An opinion, if you wanted to shoot 25+ grain pellets you should have gotten the .25 caliber.

I think you will find the JSB 18s and similar will do very well for you, accurate and hit hard. Hunting and target.

Tim Hill Airguns:

JSAR (the aluminum air tubes are in stock!!!!!):

Air Gun Revisions (AGR), this fellow knows how to tune a Marauder:

My M-Rod .25s, all highly modded, these shoot in the 44 to 60 fpe range:

Last edited: