Tuning [Resolved] Reasonably priced decibel reader?

tegridy

Jul 14, 2024
Hi all!

I hope you're doing well.

I'm just looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced, consistent dB reader for my Marauder. I figure it doesn't need to be as overkill as an actual firearm decibel test setup, just something inexpensive but trusted off of Amazon would be great.

Anyone here with a solid recommendation based off of experience already?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I had an inexpensive one from Amazon that gave me readings that made sense to me for a year or so. But it started generating readings that disagreed with my ears and so it is retired. I switched to a phone app. I tried several before finding one that gives me readings that seem consistent with what I am hearing.

I agree completely with there being a lot of difficulty in measuring sound reliably. The best I think you can get to with inexpensive devices is to answer a question like "Is moderator A louder or softer than moderator B". Even that may be asking too much.

I had an inexpensive one from Amazon that gave me readings that made sense to me for a year or so. But it started generating readings that disagreed with my ears and so it is retired. I switched to a phone app. I tried several before finding one that gives me readings that seem consistent with what I am hearing.

I agree completely with there being a lot of difficulty in measuring sound reliably. The best I think you can get to with inexpensive devices is to answer a question like "Is moderator A louder or softer than moderator B". Even that may be asking too much.
yep, that question about the moderator is exactly what I am trying to answer. I've been messing around with DIY solutions, and I am hoping to derive more data than than just listening with my ear and saying "yep" or "nope."

What app and reader did you end up settling on?