Reticle Preference (w pics)

Here are some of the reticles from scopes I am looking at, I like them all (otherwise I wouldn't consider buying the scope) but some I like more than others.

Which of these do YOU like the most and why? (Feel free to post pics of some others I left out)

Below are: Athlon Cronus, Maven RS4, Tract Toric ELR, Sightron (2), Zeiss S3, Valdada Crusader and Nightforce

I favorite of all of these is the Athlon reticle. It is just so clean and easy to look at. I also really like the Valdada, Zeiss and Sightron.

Athlon

Athlon Cronus.png

Maven
Maven.png

Sightron
Sightron1.png

Sightron2.png

Tract Toric
Tract reticle.png

Zeiss S3
Zeiss S3.png

Valdada
valdada ret.png

Nightforce

View attachment 299930

NF ATACR.png

Sightron1.png

Last edited:
I have a few of the FFP Athlon scopes with those "floating dot" reticles. Its one of my favorites as well. Even at 30x the reticle isn't overly busy while still being functional. At 4.5x its a little small (most FFPs are) but still usable. I have a tendency to turn the illumination on if needed and use it more like a red dot.

Edit: Englished better

Last edited:
For FFP scopes only:

🔶 (1)

I find that at low magnification the crosshairs get very thin and hard to see, especially in front of a busy background.
Therefore, any FFP scope I buy for hunting must have thick outside posts in the reticle. Because these posts will guide my eye toward the center where the crosshairs meet.

🔶 (2)
Another method to overcome the thin reticle lines at low magnifications in FFP scopes is to use the illumination, especially if it is "daylight bright".

🔶 (3)
Unless you plan to hold off with the reticle both for elevation AND for wind, you won't need the Christmas trees.
I dial elevation, and hold for wind.
Also, I film a lot through the scope, and again the Christmas tree isn't helpful for that....

Happy scope shopping, 😊

Matthias

For FFP scopes only:

🔶 (1)

I find that at low magnification the crosshairs get very thin and hard to see, especially in front of a busy background.
Therefore, any FFP scope I buy for hunting must have thick outside posts in the reticle. Because these posts will guide my eye toward the center where the crosshairs meet.

🔶 (2)
Another method to overcome the thin reticle lines at low magnifications in FFP scopes is to use the illumination, especially if it is "daylight bright".

🔶 (3)
Unless you plan to hold off with the reticle both for elevation AND for wind, you won't need the Christmas trees.
I dial elevation, and hold for wind.
Also, I film a lot through the scope, and again the Christmas tree isn't helpful for that....

Happy scope shopping, 😊

Matthias

Great point with the holdover. I also dial for elevation and hold for wind so I do not like the Xmas tree. I don't think the Athlon or Zeiss xmas trees are obtrusive but that is also why I like the Sightron, Zcomp #2 and the Kahles. I will never need or use the tree for how I currently shoot.

I bought my first Nightforce a couple weeks ago. First time I spent close to 1K$ for a scope. SHV 3-10. I can practically read a newspaper 100 yds away on 3X with it. It's not on an air rifle though. The reticle is the illuminated Fourplex, not probably the best choice for an air rifle. BUT, if I were to get another SHV for a PCP, the MOAR-30 looks like it would work great for my eye. I also like the first Nightforce reticle the OP showed in his first post.

I have the Tract Toric 4 x 20 x 50 with the MRAD Tree reticle in FFP. Like it a lot, have three of them. Great glass. While I normally try to dial, there are many times when a quick shot is needed, so the tree comes in real handy for those situations. It also has locking turrets, which in my mind is a plus. I'd like to try their 4.5 x 30 x 56 though.
Mike

Personally I don't prefer reticles with mil or moa lines directly off the main vertical crosshair. Seems they end up in the way when I holdover and holdoff and are odd looking. It's just an annoyance to me.

For a simpler reticle that will invlove occasional holdovers and holdoffs I don't like any numbers at all, or those with few numbers. The SWFA milquad, and good ole mildots are some examples.

But the so called busy tree reticles with .2 mil holds are my go-to for most types of the rifle shooting I do which includes a bunch of holding over and off. I like to shoot a stage of steel at various distances by dialing elevation, then start over by going back to my zero and holding over and repeating that same course. This is when tree reticles come into their own especially when there is 2-3 mils of windage needed and you are holding over 4 to 9 mils.

I found that for BR I just want a simple fine crosshair with a small dot in a SFP scope. Then use the scoring rings for holdoff points without needing to move the reticle out of the way to more easily see where I hit.

I have the Tract Toric 4 x 20 x 50 with the MRAD Tree reticle in FFP. Like it a lot, have three of them. Great glass. While I normally try to dial, there are many times when a quick shot is needed, so the tree comes in real handy for those situations. It also has locking turrets, which in my mind is a plus. I'd like to try their 4.5 x 30 x 56 though.
Mike
That Tract reticle does not have the floating dot like the ELR right? It has the cross, right?

I have never looked thru a Tract but I hear the glass is amazing

Kevin --=--
Nope, the Tract Toric DOES have the floating dot reticle. It is a really enjoyable scope to use IMO.
This is the one that I have currently....
These scopes do not go on sale except normally once a year around November/December. Then they offer usually a 10% discount. However, if you're military or police, including ex, they offer I believe 15% off every day. You need to offer proof via their terms.
Mike