Reusing pellets

I have wanted for some time to collect the used pellets from my indoor pistol range. It is simply constructed of a small cardboard box, a small fat pillow and a 2' x 1-1/2' metal serving tray. The tray backs up the pillow and the pillow backs up the shredded box side upon which a paper target is mounted.

I have been collecting the loose pellets from inside the box for six weeks, but have left the backup pillow alone until now.

On Tuesday I started "mining" the stuffed pillow for pellets. One side of the pillow is shredded on the bottom where the most pellets have collected behind the target's center in the spun fiber stuffing.

I estimate that I recovered about three hundred used pellets. I use coated or alloy pellets so there were three colors - copper, silver and light gray. I collected them into a common pile and then inspected and separated them by color. I discarded the one third of the pellets that were deformed or had damaged, scraped heads.

The remaining pellets were IMHO usable. Their main draw-back was that their skirts showed rifling marks. Their passage through the rifled gun barrel left minute scars along the outer bottom of their skirts.

The used pellets loaded into the magazine easier that new ones, indicating some erosion of their outer skirts. But none of them was so badly eroded that it would fall out of its chamber.

When comparing the skirt ends of the pellets loaded into the magazine, the new pellet's skirts were noticably smoother than that of the used ones.

When held up to the light all magazine chambers showed some light leakage around the edge. But it was hard to decern the leakage of the old vs. the new pellets.

In summary I concluded that 70% of used pellets are good enough for my use. I am retired and have plenty of time to invest in recovering and screening used pellets. For others the process may seem too tedious and not worth the trouble.

And in general recycling is good.

Felinis,
Well, Sir, if it works for you, who am I to disagree. For many, accuracy is our #1 priority, and those pre-rifled pellets aren't going to cut it. Some won't even use new pellets that have out-of-spec dimensions and weights. For most, I'd say, when talking re-using pellets, melting down and re-casting comes to mind first, but you do you, it's all good. WM

Felinis,
Well, Sir, if it works for you, who am I to disagree. For many, accuracy is our #1 priority, and those pre-rifled pellets aren't going to cut it. Some won't even use new pellets that have out-of-spec dimensions and weights. For most, I'd say, when talking re-using pellets, melting down and re-casting comes to mind first, but you do you, it's all good. WM
...and with that, Mr. WorriedMan killed this thread... :ROFLMAO: Not much else to say. Nailed it!

materials.

6.35 mm drill bit

6.25 mm drill bit

1) pliers

2) 2pcs. dill bits ( 1 smaller than the cal. and the other the same as cal.)

3) vice or vicegrip

4) drill
clamp the pliers with a vice grip
make a punch on the desired location
drill the pliers using the small drill... https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/survivalist-pellet-mold.581807/

I think reusing spent pellets is fine, if they are melted down and remolded. However, using spent pellets- or even a pellet that was dropped on the ground- seems risky given the multi $1000 cost of many airguns today. Why damage a barrel to save a few cents?
I agree, I shoot in the backyard off a concrete patio. If I drop a pellet on the concrete it is discarded.

Never thought reusing a as a thing. Never find mine really
I never did either when I had the property to shoot. I now don't have the property and I have a pellet catch and when I clean it out there will be some that have no damage (except some grooving on skirts) and If I feel like it I reuse them. I shoot in the garage at 7 yards if I was shooting at distance it might be another story.

Last edited:
I cleaned out the DIY pellet trap today and ended up reusing 50 pellets that I could see no physical damage. I shoot them in my garage (7yards) offhand I they 99% in 1" group. Good enough for just plinking around in the garage. I usually don't go picking through like that but I was curious to see how many and how they would work. The question is was it worth the 80cents I saved :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Another aspect of the re-use of pellets:

As the OP of this thread I neglected to mention that I use copper-coated pellets. In June I was still shooting mainly .177 pellets but was acquiring .22 guns too.

As I indicated, I catch the pellets in an indoors trap and reuse the intact ones.

I just finished rebuilding a Crosman 1322 and when I started zeroing it in I discovered that the breech was very hard to close and lock. I went about troubleshooting the problem: checking that the transfer port was properly seated, the probe and O-ring were in good order and that I was using the proper .22 caliber ammo.

Meanwhile I managed to break off the handle on my new bolt.

I was stumped until I cleaned the copper-coated .22 rounds out of my pellet trap and began re-shooting the intact ones. These used pellets loaded and fired just fine.

It seems clear that the copper coating increases the caliber of the pellets so that new ones will barely load into the barrel of this 1322. The used ones have had the skirts worn down enough to fit perfectly.

Prior to obtaining Hubens, I had only used lead pellets. However, I have observed consistent alignment of the stars between those guns and the hard alloy GTO pellets, which are unfortunately very expensive. I also note that shooting them into duct seal targets, they only incur damage from hitting each other. If they land in a clean section of the duct seal, they are absolutely intact, save for some very light rifling marks. Furthermore, you can even pluck them out of a block of pine and they seem unperturbed. I’m sorely tempted to use the best of them again, given the cost, but I would not do it in the finicky Hubens. I will save them to shoot from my p-rod, which is about to be born again following a revamp. Assuming it likes those projectiles in the first place…

OK, personally, in my opinion, If you're recycling just for environmental reasons, I commend you, If you are so poor that you can't afford to shoot new pellets most of the time, good on you for going the distance to enjoy your hobby.
I'm retired and on a small fixed income, that's the main reason I transitioned from rimfire and centerfire firearms, ammo and reloading components have gotten way to expensive for me to be able to enjoy shooting my powder burners.
Air gun ammo is still affordable, it costs me about $8.00~$12.00 per tin of 500 pellets which for a less than wealthy person is still pretty reasonable, and when on sale I stock up when I can, that comes to about $00.2 a pellet, I really can't see myself collecting and sorting through 100's of pellets to find a handful that are reusable, I'd rather work a part time job for a couple of hours ans earn enough money to buy a few tins of new pellets.
But that just me.

Reactions: beerthief