• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

“Right” vs “Left” hand actions-why aren’t they swapped??

Just for background, I’m a lifelong shooter and I’m right handed but left eye dominant so I’m already a “mixed bag” but especially when it comes to air guns with side levers and bull pups with linkages, it seems like a lot of the actions out there would actually work far better “reversed”. There are a few(my Uragan is a good example) that are already set up this way, but I’ve always favored maintaining a shooting grip and a cheek weld behind the optic as much as possible. Obviously on the firearms side these principles weren’t prevalent when the common designs like bolt actions were developed, but with all the more modern airgun actions like side levers and linkages it seems like a better “right handed” set-up would be a lever on the left side and maybe more forward so the shooting hand can stay on the grip and the eye can stay behind the optic while the support hand works the action. There are a few designs out there like the Uragan and the Notos but other than “tradition” and familiarity, are there any really good reasons that aren’t occurring to me why left sided(and forward) action levers haven’t become more standard for right handed shooters?

Personally, I like the normal way. When I shoot prone with a bipod I like to have my left hand under the butt of the stock with or without a rear bag. I can keep my hold and just reload with my right hand. Otherwise I'd have to go up and down with my left hand. And if I'm shooting offhand with a heavier rifle I like that I can keep my left hand on the forestock to hold up the rifle (I for sure am not a great shot off hand so this isn't often). The notos is so light that it works fine to cock with the left hand.

Left side action for a right-hander shooting off a bench rest makes sense. But if that same shooter is not shooting off a rest (let's say standing and freehand) then the action can make more sense being on the right side since the left hand on the fore grip better supports the gun when reloading. Not too noticeable on smaller/lighter guns, but can be a big deal on heavier/longer guns.

Of course, much of it will also just come down to personal preference. But not everyone is focused on bench rest shooting.

Reactions: Vana2
I prefer the normal “right hand does everything” function, but if I like a particular airgun like the Notos for example that’s left side cocking I just learn to live with it no big deal.
For me it seems the left side cocking is much less than desirable because the left hand still has to move from its supporting position to move backward to nearly my face in order to manipulate the side lever. If the cocking mechanism was placed up front near where my left hand was already at supporting the airgun I believe it would be a completely different ballgame.
Pumping a shotgun left handed has a natural feel to it, as the hand never leaves its spot, but reaching back to fiddle with a side lever with the left hand is awkward and works against accuracy.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Some very good points that had not really occurred to me, thanks for all the thoughtful replies. My background is much more tactical firearms, both in use and instruction, and it has been drilled into me to always maintain a firing grip, even loading/reloading/clearing malfunctions, and my AR’s all get set up to manipulate charging handle and bolt lock while maintaining a firing grip, but I can certainly see that with different disciplines there are benefits to different techniques. I got into the precision stuff a little bit and it seems like the rifle is rested whenever possible on whatever is available, and I’ve really been getting into tripod use. I can see that in rear supported positions having the support hand stay in support rather than working the action could be a big benefit. I’m also working on building my left-hand skills for when available shooting position demands it, and as I rack up more injuries sometimes I’m also forced to change sides, but man it feels so awkward doing the exact same thing in mirror image! I definitely appreciate all the feedback and different perspectives.

Just for background, I’m a lifelong shooter and I’m right handed but left eye dominant so I’m already a “mixed bag” but especially when it comes to air guns with side levers and bull pups with linkages, it seems like a lot of the actions out there would actually work far better “reversed”. There are a few(my Uragan is a good example) that are already set up this way, but I’ve always favored maintaining a shooting grip and a cheek weld behind the optic as much as possible. Obviously on the firearms side these principles weren’t prevalent when the common designs like bolt actions were developed, but with all the more modern airgun actions like side levers and linkages it seems like a better “right handed” set-up would be a lever on the left side and maybe more forward so the shooting hand can stay on the grip and the eye can stay behind the optic while the support hand works the action. There are a few designs out there like the Uragan and the Notos but other than “tradition” and familiarity, are there any really good reasons that aren’t occurring to me why left sided(and forward) action levers haven’t become more standard for right handed shooters?
The Caiman X is adjustable. Pick which side you want the lever.

I'm right hand, right eye dominant and prefer a right side bolt/lever for my plinking/hunting guns where most shooting is done off hand.

For my 10 meter airguns I keep my trigger hand on the grip and load with my left. I've switched the lever to the left side on my bench rifles for the same reason.

My HW44 pistol is left-lever and my PP750 is right - find the left-lever much more convenient.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm another left eye dominant right handed shooter. If I'm shooting a bolt action I prefer a left hand bolt where I support the rifle near its balance point on the forearm while working the action. If I'm shooting a gun with a side lever I prefer a right side action. It keeps the focus wheel opposite the action and makes loading easier. I single shot load all my airguns. If I'm shooting a pistol I hold it in my right hand and aim with my left eye.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I am also right handed but left eye dominant. One of my uncles figured that out when I started quail hunting with him so I've been shooting from my left shoulder for around 50 years now. Trying to shoulder a gun on my right shoulder feels very wrong. I have a couple PBs with the bolt on the left and I use them fine but not often. This also keeps the ejected case going away from me. But my 12 gauge pump is a normal right handed Mossberg (safety on top) that flings empties past my face. I do not see them. I concentrate on what I'm shooting at.

I like my airguns to cock on the right, perhaps in part because I am right handed. I switched my Prod to left hand cocking but switched it back. I switched my Caiman X to cock on the right (it makes the Huma label look odd but otherwise works well). My P35s came cocking on the right and are not at least easily reversable. They are light so supporting them for a few seconds with my trigger hand (left) is not an issue at all.

I think the RTI prophet comes with the cocking handle on the left and it is not reversable.

Good question. I'm in the same situation with the Big 9 and Texan. I believe it's due to the higher number of right-handers. Have you ever tried to sell a left-handed rifle?

Last edited:
I am lefthand left eye dominate. I prefer a left hand bolt over a side lever. With a lefthand bolt I can run a big side wheel. I have one side lever rifle. A RAW Micro Hunter. It is a LH rifle with the lever on the left. It works well and am glad it is on the left. On the rifle I run a small scope wheel and it works fine. The best solution is what most 10M rifles have. 10M rifles the lever goes up or down (your choice) and can be swapped to the left or right side of the rifle. This can be done in a matters of minutes with an Allen wrench. The picture shown is my Walther LG400FT. I have the lever on the left side of the rifle in the downward stroke position. So easy to use and can run a big scope wheel. Keep in mind 10M rifles are made to shoot hundreds of thousands of shots so it’s a robust system.

IMG_0030.jpeg

Reactions: Nico5999
As a lefty, I disagree with the idea that running a "reversed" action is better. I have been forced to run a right handed action on many platforms and find that for nearly EVERY application (aside from certain speed shooting disciplines like speed silhouette @ PAC), a left handed action for a left handed shooter (or right handed action for righties) is better.

If you are benched, especially with a bipod and bag, a reversed action requires you to remove your hand from your rear sandbag. After you cock the gun, your support bag has to then return to your rear sandbag. You lose your position and have to rebuild it.

Same goes for any sort of PRS type shooting. Removing your support hand from the gun is actually MORE disruptive in many "real-world" shooting situations than removing your firing hand. This is why virtually every right hand shooter runs a right handed bolt gun in the firearms world. I find that a lot of lefties who tell me that they actually prefer a right-handed bolt gun are just coping with the fact that gun manufacturers have abandoned us!

Motion to add left handed shooters to the affirmative action roster. We demand representation!

For any sort of standing/positional shooting, trying to hold the gun up with your firing hand only while you cock the gun with your support hand is far more difficult than supporting the rifle with your support hand and cocking with your firing hand. Any advantage is speed is negated by the fact that you lose your target acquisition most of the time.

Brady and Luke Lawing (1st and 2nd @ RMAC Speed challenge) were running right hand side levers as right handed shooters. Brady is a good friend of mine and I have tried to convince him for years to switch to a left hand side lever (he's a right handed shooter) but he has refused and I'm beginning to come around and believe he may be right.

Obviously, some of these considerations change when running a bullpup, but by and large I think they are correct based on my experience running "flipped" actions.

God bless the manufacturers making left handed side levers or designing rifles where you can flip the lever/bolt.

Reactions: skeeekerz
As a lefty, I disagree with the idea that running a "reversed" action is better. I have been forced to run a right handed action on many platforms and find that for nearly EVERY application (aside from certain speed shooting disciplines like speed silhouette @ PAC), a left handed action for a left handed shooter (or right handed action for righties) is better.

If you are benched, especially with a bipod and bag, a reversed action requires you to remove your hand from your rear sandbag. After you cock the gun, your support bag has to then return to your rear sandbag. You lose your position and have to rebuild it.

Same goes for any sort of PRS type shooting. Removing your support hand from the gun is actually MORE disruptive in many "real-world" shooting situations than removing your firing hand. This is why virtually every right hand shooter runs a right handed bolt gun in the firearms world. I find that a lot of lefties who tell me that they actually prefer a right-handed bolt gun are just coping with the fact that gun manufacturers have abandoned us!

Motion to add left handed shooters to the affirmative action roster. We demand representation!

For any sort of standing/positional shooting, trying to hold the gun up with your firing hand only while you cock the gun with your support hand is far more difficult than supporting the rifle with your support hand and cocking with your firing hand. Any advantage is speed is negated by the fact that you lose your target acquisition most of the time.

Brady and Luke Lawing (1st and 2nd @ RMAC Speed challenge) were running right hand side levers as right handed shooters. Brady is a good friend of mine and I have tried to convince him for years to switch to a left hand side lever (he's a right handed shooter) but he has refused and I'm beginning to come around and believe he may be right.

Obviously, some of these considerations change when running a bullpup, but by and large I think they are correct based on my experience running "flipped" actions.

God bless the manufacturers making left handed side levers or designing rifles where you can flip the lever/bolt.
The only time it really became a literal pain for me was in the service, when hot brass from an M-16 slipped down between my neck and shirt, eventually getting trapped between my shirt and web gear. Not long after, I was handed a brass deflector, which was quite ironic, haha.

Ain't no doubt for me, put the -- action on the Left side....too bad we do not have an option. Bull Pups are the worst offenders for left-handed shooters, all I can say I think it is weird you would want the action on the right side,of course I have a nose that is a foot long and it gets in the way for right-handed actions:ROFLMAO:o_Oo_O

• Haha
Reactions: kanmotexacal