Air Venturi Rookie Avenge-X .177 Round 1

I decided to try and learn about PCP rifles a bit. I shoot PB and my TX200. This is new. I am trying an Avenge-X .177 PCP Pellet testing at 50-yards (unsorted) pellets. The chronograph is saying I am shooting about 950 to 960 with 10.5's. I figure that is too hot. I am getting SDs of about 2fps so I am thinking that is good.

Pellets Tested Round 1:
Air Arms 10.3gr Field Heavy
Air Arm 8.4gr Field Target
H&N 10.65gr Match Dome
H&N 9.57gr Field Target
Benjamin Match 10.5gr
JSB Knock Out 10.03gr

Set-Up and Rig:
Avenge-X Base Model
Vortex Crossfire II 6 to 8
Bald Eagle Front Rest
Sinclair Bag Rider
Protektor #13 Rear Bag
Custom Bag Rider

Air Pressure was kept 3000 psi or higher throughout. This setup was made using "high" power. It was averaging over 950 fps. While there was only about 2.8 fps SD it seems pretty fast. The next run will be tried on low power.

The weather was 75-degrees Fahrenheit with about 90% humidity. There was a slight 0 to 5 mph wind. It varied in direction but was largely a cross wind.

The rifle is stock, and there are no tweaks to the gun. The bottle started the day at full capacity. I took a couple of shots to sight in the rifle. The shots all remained on the regulator. The rifle was kept with a total pressure of 3000 psi or higher. The regular remained just under 2000 psi.

20240821_133949.jpg

20240821_134526.jpg

The best shooting was the Benjamin 10.5 match which were consistently under one inch at 50-yards. Several pellets showed potential so it may be that pellet sorting and preparation might make several pellet options viable.

Average muzzle velocity with AA 10.3’s on the high setting was 953.4 with a SD of 1.8 fps (excluding 1st 2 to level regulator). Extreme Spread was 5.8 fps. One low setting was 827.3 with an SD of about 1.3 fps.

Rookie experiment round 1.

looks like your doing pretty good, now here's a Question for you, are you going to use the gun for pesting or for target? if you use it for pesting, I would decrease the velocity to about 850 - 900 fps, just to decrease pass thru shots and increase shot count, for target find the best Fps accuracy at the distance you are going to shoot, you might also try JSB exact diabolo pellets, I don't own a .177, but all the other calibers I own shoot very accurate with JSB exact diabolo dome pellets, play around with the reg pressures and hammer spring settings, find what works best for you.

Two pellets you might consider with your future testing are Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5 g in the box and JTS 10.4 dome. I shoot an earlier version of the Avenge-x called the Nova Liberty and it prefers the Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5 g sized to 4.52 mm and flying at approximately 875 fps: 10 shots touching at 30 meters. While I have not tried the JTS in .177 cal yet, I mention the brand because my Avenge-X in ,25 cal really performs with their domed 29.63 g, again one hole at 30 meters. Of course YMMV

Kk454 & rtd,

Thanks. I use it for targets primarily. I shoot 50-feet, 25-yards, 50-yards and 100-yards. So there is probably not a "single" tune that will work. Given the SD are pretty good i am planning to play with as is for a while. The AA 10.3's are a variation of the JSB.

I was out shooting part 2 today using the low setting. The performance I had today on low setting was very encouraging at 50-yards. Small SD's were there. I have one setting that was shooting 0.50" at 50-yards. There were 2 groups under .50" and 2 just over .50".

It is a learning thing for sure.

You might consider crowing the barrel also.
I have a thread on this forum with the "trials and tribulations" I went through on my avenge x . I ultimately ended up swapping to a .25 barrel, and also a .22.
with those 2 calibers the guns is really a nice shooter....

I am getting at, or a little under, 0.50" at 50-yards with a gun shooting at 1.5 to 2 SD in fps in .177. It is running at about 820fps with 10.3's. How much better is it likely to get in .177?

I am getting at, or a little under, 0.50" at 50-yards with a gun shooting at 1.5 to 2 SD in fps in .177. It is running at about 820fps with 10.3's. How much better is it likely to get in .177?
If your .177 is shooting that, Leave It Alone!
I fought mine in.177, in the end never got those kind groups that far out.. Now in .22 and .25 I am getting stellar results..
I guess it truly is a "barrel lottery" when it comes to Chinese guns :unsure:

Reactions: drpietrzak
Well, so far I am not thinking of doing much. I am currently thinking I got very lucky. The AA 10.3's shoot great in my TX200 as well so it seems a boon.

I fear the high setting Benjamin's 10.5's are too hot and will catch wind unexpectedly. So they seem iffy to me yet. I have a couple of 13 grain pellets coming to see how they do. If they do ok it will be good.

I am satisfied with the AA 10.3's on low so it is only an "if" I get something else to work that is a bonus here.

Last edited: