RTI MORA...Your Worse Nightmare

The other thing is when you shoot extreme distances you have to have a ton of angle to see point of impact. Next thing you know with a slug of average moa you have to dial almost 150 moa or raise the rear of the adjustable rings quite a bit just to reach 600 yards. Now the scope is pointed straight at that big fat barrel shroud. Would raising the scope help? I wonder if that large barrel shroud has a effect on what you see at extreme air gun distances?

Allen
I do t shoot extreme distances. I shout the stuff running threw my backyard.

I received my Mora .25 Standard from Tony a few days ago. Had my first chance to take it out to the range today. Needless to say I am still learning the platform so tuning is still a work in progress.

When I bought this I had all intents to shoot the .25 Altaros King 66gr. Before todays outing I upped the reg to 175 bar and had it shooting what I thought was 895fps but came to find out was closer to 870-880 fps (apparently my v1 FX Chrony is reading about 15 fps high). I was nailing some really good groups and some not so great ones. Tried to up the speed a bit but found out I ran out of valve adjustment travel. I think I was just blowing too much air for really consistent shooting.

When I got home I tuned the reg up to 190 bar and brought the valve in more than half way. Some minor adjustments and I was shooting 890-895fps for real with the Kings. I could tell from air usage that this tune is more efficient, but it still uses a lot of air to get almost 120fpe out of a .25 airgun.

In terms of some comments about loudness - at 120fpe it is not a quiet airgun. With just the shroud it's got some bite. With the added moderator it helps but there is no way it is suburban backyard friendly IMO.

This is a big heavy rifle. Definitely a bench gun. The trigger is very nice. Very light first stage and a clean 2nd stage break.

I found getting a good view through the scope was a bit of a challenge, but it could be do to too low rings and the Mora's cheek rest being delayed. Also, no manual out so there are some adjustments I am leaving alone until I know better what they do (ie: trigger settings)

Overall - initial impressions are very good. This is my first RTI airgun. I was skeptical about being a Mora v1 guinea pig but it seems they've gotten most things right.

Edit - ok, I do have one complaint. The Mlok handguard on the bottle is a bit flimsy. Whether using a tripod or a front bipod setup there was more flex than I would like. I hope K&L step up and make a more rigid Arca rail.

Considering we all have a different idea of what 'loud' is, I'll just say I thought the loudness was at an appropriate volume for the power being output. And I have to give the platform credit for how easily this power level in .25 is to tap into. All that was necessary was:
- Adjust regulator up.
- Adjust hammer spring 1/2 turn past where the valve would just fully fire.
- Adjust valve for fps.
Now I'm not experienced tuning balanced valve airguns. But between the Mora and my Epic Two the above seems to be the way it works. Hammer spring just needs to be enough to open the valve and not much more is gained for more hammer spring past that point. I add the + 1/2 turn to overcome any potential first shot stiction issues - but I haven't seen that in the Mora like I have sometimes in the Epic.

Also, my first 6 shots out at 100 yards were within the 1" center ring but for 1 shot that dropped 2" down and to the right. I wasn't able to repeat that tight a grouping again but everything was within 2" at 100 yards. And there's much more I haven't adjusted, and waiting until guidance is out there, such as the barrel locking / free-floating ring nut and the probe depth adjustment. OOTB it is a solid airgun. I'll try to update again after some more trigger time.

That's good to know that it can push the kings. I kinda wish it could do it and then some, that way when altaros comes out with something bigger and better we don't have to buy another gun. Hopefully if anything just change the barrel. Like for example that big heavy 223 super king that altaros sells.

And yeah, I was kinda afraid the bottle /handguard was going to be flimsy. As beefy as the gun is, its sad that it does not have a sturdy long arca rail you can mount far forward without flex. I agree, it would be nice if k&l would do something. 🤞🤞🤞

Allen

Reactions: BABz58
I received my Mora .25 Standard from Tony a few days ago. Had my first chance to take it out to the range today. Needless to say I am still learning the platform so tuning is still a work in progress.

When I bought this I had all intents to shoot the .25 Altaros King 66gr. Before todays outing I upped the reg to 175 bar and had it shooting [at] 880 fps.

This thread's title keeps hauting me.....
"RTI Mora: Your worst nightmare"

Screenshot_20240905_234123_KECalc.jpg

I will be dreaming tonight of having that much power for my pesting..... 😵‍💫

And if your hear me scream.... 😵 — don't worry, go back to sleep!
It's just that I'm having another mora (=nightmare).

Of course, any doctor's prescription to get me back to sound sleep will read as follows:
"RX: Buy a Mora!!"

Matthias

PS:
▪︎ 5 years ago I had no idea there were "rabbit holes" (you know which types I mean.)
▪︎ Today, I still am shocked just how deep they can be....
Yupp, that's stuff for another nightmare.... 😱

Well it isn’t your gun is it? Find the MDT video were they mount a scope super high on a gun it had no ill effects on sighting in the gun. Or maybe that’s all I had for scope mounts.
I was hoping for an intelligent answer to a very legitimate question. Instead, you returned a smart ass reply. I see you are new to this forum. Those insulting replies do nothing good as an introduction to the members of this forum. Normally, all sight systems are mounted as close to the barrel line as possible for 3 reasons. It reduces the effect on accuracy from rifle tilt. It reduces the requirement for holdover at short distances and lastly it allows the shooter's eye to find the scope's eye box easier, which I might add you already stated in another thread reply that you had. In that light, I was hoping you would teach me something that I did not know.

If you are after power, why limit yourself to only a 0.25? A lot of other choice with much greater power in larger calibers!
I think you've missed the point. It's not about power. It's about power to push a heavier high BC projectile very accurately at a long distance. If I want more power I've got a 357 Slayer that'll do what I need. ;)

More importantly do you think the Mora can push the a 87 grain slug fast enough long distance wise and acurately?

Allen
Barely. Maybe in the mid 800fps (850fps?). So that extra BC would not be much benefit. The platform looks good, but I would go with the .22 and shoot 40gr at a higher velocity. I don’t like the 1:20 twist rate in the .25cal.

Last edited: