Ruger Ruger Mark IV Custom

So BOG, are you just removing the two grip screws to get the plastic factory grips off and then just copying the design in wood?
Thx
Ray
Sort of. I fit the wood to the frame first with a slightly oversized cutting. In case of a little movement in the fitting. Then cut and shape the exterior. Next, I grind the bevels like an actual Ruger set of grip panels. They need to be a bit thicker because of the plastic retaining studs on the frame. To allow for the screw to seat. Mine is 1/4 inch thick. The Umarex ones are quite rounded. See picture.
6212920D-5CC0-4B37-9EF5-CC45B7AF639D.png

Last edited:
Glad you guys are having better luck than I did, seen here:

Maybe ill try again one day.
I think the stainless model that came from Sportsman’s Warehouse is a better pistol. The ones at Tractor Supply were not so good. Probably a bad batch. I went through the 8 they had in stock and found one with a straightest barrel and the least droop. Kind of difficult in the blister pack, but doable. The stainless one I just got SW is perfect. Shoots faster also.

Last edited:
Reactions: WIndOnYerGrape
Sort of. I fit the wood to the frame first with a slightly oversized cutting. In case of a little movement in the fitting. Then cut and shape the exterior. Next, I grind the bevels like an actual Ruger set of grip panels. They need to be a bit thicker because of the plastic retaining studs on the frame. To allow for the screw to seat. Mine is 1/4 inch thick. The Umarex ones are quite rounded. See picture.View attachment 411566
Thanks BOG, I've got to scratch around my wood pile and see if I can whip me up some. I really can't believe how much more real it makes the pellet gun look. Thanks for the info sir.

Thx
Ray

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
You are welcome Ray. Good luck with the project. Keep us all updated with pictures.
FYI. The black one got returned to Tractor Supply today. It just wasn’t the same quality as the stainless version. 30 fps slower and just not as accurate. Probably the velocity difference. I will pick up another black one later when more are available out of a different batch. I really like having one of each. The stainless one is not even listed on the Umarex site. Must be a very limited production. I may get another one just to have.

Reactions: Modski66
well i watch the video yesterday and took mine apart and installed a new sear spring and latch spring
there was enough grease inside to do a wheel bearing do the polishing and the trigger still very poor
my advise is don't buy this pistol
If you honed or wet sanded the casting marks out of the sear lever and polished to a mirror finish, the two surfaces will now mate into each other and should improve with usage. It is tricky to get the best result the first time.

Reactions: Loren and Modski66
i opened up my Ruger again today because i had no idea what the spring-loaded bar that the trigger and sear have to push aside did
in the video the presenter told how he polished the sear and add grease but what does the silver bar do
and the answer is nothing at all, take it out and the pistol doesn't know it is missing and the trigger is a little better for it being taken out
now the Browning Buck Mark use the same sear but there is no bar that needs to be pushed away and that is where this thought came from
so, it helps the trigger if removed, a damn stupid design
maybe in time we can make this little gun better

i opened up my Ruger again today because i had no idea what the spring-loaded bar that the trigger and sear have to push aside did
in the video the presenter told how he polished the sear and add grease but what does the silver bar do
and the answer is nothing at all, take it out and the pistol doesn't know it is missing and the trigger is a little better for it being taken out
now the Browning Buck Mark use the same sear but there is no bar that needs to be pushed away and that is where this thought came from
so, it helps the trigger if removed, a damn stupid design
maybe in time we can make this little gun better
Not certain I know what silver bar you are referring to. I can’t see the removal of anything in the trigger unit and still have a properly functioning trigger. I have another silver MKIV coming “Christmas present” for a friend back in Michigan that lost his wife one year ago tomorrow. He’s pretty much confined to his chair and shoots from there. This will be perfect for him. Custom wood grips are almost finished. I have an idea to make this trigger the best yet. I will try it and keep everyone updated.

Is there something that engages the automatic safety that can be dispensed with? Would the safety still function as a manual one?
There is. I haven’t removed it and tried it. With it removed I am quite certain the safety lever would just run loose. As light as I am attempting to get the trigger, I would prefer the safety being automatic. I will keep you updated.

Reactions: Modski66
i am not sure if the whole safety parts could not be removed
they sit on the outside of the metal cradle and if the cradle when installed did not move side to side they could be deleted interesting though and yes the safety is a pain
you know in the UK they have an updated on of this or at least i saw one
they are what they are a cheap pistol

i am not sure if the whole safety parts could not be removed
they sit on the outside of the metal cradle and if the cradle when installed did not move side to side they could be deleted interesting though and yes the safety is a pain
you know in the UK they have an updated on of this or at least i saw one
they are what they are a cheap pistol
Updated version? How so? Maybe this is why they are so scarce in this country. Nobody seems to have them in stock.