RWS Mdl 54 troubles, x2

Hi guys, if possible, I'd like to understand why 2 Mdl 54s cannot reasonably be sighted in.

I bought the first 10-6-15. In adjusting the iron sights, I noticed the rear sight had to be adjusted to the right, all the way. (The furthest L line on the sight.) Elevation simply couldn't be adjusted up high enough at 20 yards. Even moving F/sight all the way down on its ramp wouldn't allow alignment vertically. As I was going to use a scope anyway, Installed the RWS 4x that came with it, along with the included RWS lockdown mount.

Went to the indoor range to sight it in. While adjusted to its limits, it was shooting 1" low at 20 yards. (This was before my previous RWS 34 thread around a week or so? back. I wasn't aware at the time, of the importance of a scope being as close as possible to its optical center.) Anyway, POI wasn't staying with the POA all the time. So, I installed a BSA 4-12. Sighted it in OK, but ended up with the same troubles. I would imagine these 2 scopes are now dead. Next, I bought a Diana ZR mount, and a UTG 4-16x, and tried sighting them in. It wasn't possible, but hopefully didn't kill the new scope, as I was using the ZR mount.

Called RWS warranty, and talked to ????. While I was accused of just about all the things going on, with the possible exception of the last eclipse, he talked me into shooting another 250-300 rounds. I told him I would, but only with the iron sights. I ended up shooting 100, then the rear sight elevation screw came out. Couldn't find the 2 little "click" BBs, but came up with some small bearing balls that worked?? Gave up on the gun. Since it was new, called the vendor for a replacement. No problems there.

The new one got here at noon today. As I'm spooked a bit now, I cleaned the barrel to go outside and sight in with iron sights. Ended up with exactly the same problem. Checked the serial # against the previous gun. Ended up being consecutive.

So, I'm figuring I need to return this one for a refund. Am I missing something?

Thanks, Chuck 

Chuck:

Previous models of RWS 54's had the front sight adjustable...You could move it back and forth to make it taller/smaller and R&L...In those models a little front sight adjustment meant the same as a big adjustment on the rear.

RWS 54's are good pretty accurate guns, I had a couple of those in the past. They usually come alive after one or two tins of pellets..

Look for those front sight adjustments before you return the gun to the vendor, if there are, put your Rear sight NEUTRAL (Middle) and adjust the front so you have plenty of rear adjustment after the gun has been sighted in..

Regards,

AZ 

Hi Azuaro, and thanks for the response.

I am aware of the front sight adjustment feature, and used it. Adjusted to its lowest level, (front sight), and adjusting rear sight to its highest level, point of impact is still 1" low at 20 yards. And this doesn't even take into account that the rear sight has to be adjusted all the way right to correct windage. With both sights neutral, windage and elevation, the rifle impacts around 12" left, and around the same 12" low at 20 yards.

Considering this misalignment, for whatever reason, it makes it impossible to install a scope that is sighted in with regard to its optical center. The scope is at its range limit on the knobs, and the cross hairs are almost out of sight using the mirror check. As mentioned, I believe I've killed 2 scopes trying to sight in the first one.

While I do love the features of the 54, I can't see a way to make it work like it should.

Thanks, Chuck

Straighten ( or bend ) the barrel as needed. Worked great on my 48/52. 
As you are dealing with BOTH elevation and windage said bending will be just a touch harder but really not a big deal.

The rear sights are a bit cheesy on the 48/52/54, never have really used them.

The problems you are having is one reason buying used can be nice.

Really fun rigs, hope you get it all figured out.

John

Hi spysir, thanks for the reply.

Guess it's a moot point now, as I've just setup the return of the second gun. And as it's a new gun, don't want to consider barrel bending, as the problem shouldn't exist anyway. Had it been a used item, that would make good sense. It's frustrating as can be, as I really like the 54's power and features. 

Guess I'll have to try to figure on some other brand. Just don't understand the apparent lack of quality control with the 2 54s. I started buying the RWS guns because of their reputation, but the last two leave a sour taste.

Thanks, Chuck

Man, I'm really sorry you had so much trouble with your RWSs. I just landed myself my first RWS, it's a 460 Magnum, and I've never experienced a better springer! I put a lockdown on it, and the gun has so little barrel droop, I'm considering switching to regular rings. Did you not have almost the exact same problem with an RWS 34? At the risk of (me) sounding like a dope, what is your experience with airguns? If you're new to springers, it may just have to do with your hold/trigger control/pellet choice: not hobby/alloy/light weight pellets I hope. Pellets that are too heavy could also be an issue. If you've some experience and success with springers in the past, then ignore this post and carry on with your return with my best wishes either way.

edit: I went back and found your 34 post and re read it. Seems you found that gun to have a serious barrel droop issue. Sorry for confusion, hope you get it all sorted.

Hi Mentolio, and thanks for your interest......... :eek:) And glad you're so tickled with your 460 Magnum. I might end up going that way myself, as I was wanting something with a smidge more velocity than my Mdl 34 in .22. The sliding action of the 54 appealed to me, along with its slight edge in velocity over the 34. I'm just a bit disappointed with the RWS line right now, so not sure which way I'll go.

The problem you're remembering me having with the 34 .22 was excessive barrel droop. Filing the breech surface, to "lift" the barrel, worked out very well. I indicated in my last reply in that thread that that took care of a couple issues, and that I couldn't be happier with the results. My 34 in .177 has been a winner from the git-go. I'm getting close to 1K rounds through each, and am totally happy with their accuracy. Both are now keepers.

As for the pellets I'm shooting, I've never, and will never shoot light pellets in any airgun. In my mind, that would cause excessive strain on everything. And I like equipment to be happy. In the .177, the best groups are with 7.9 to around 8.5 gr. In the .22, I'm liking 14.2 up to around 14.8 gr.
And as for selection, I've got around 10-12 different pellets for each caliber. I'm old, and like accuracy, and knew I'd have to find whatever each gun likes. Just like in shooting .22 LR.

And I'm well aware of my lack of knowledge on airguns. I've been messing around with them about 4 years now. Most, if not all has come from various forums. It isn't too difficult to learn a great deal, especially since I've been a gun nut my whole life. It doesn't take much thought to see who is speaking with knowledge, or who is simply repeating BS. With that in mind, a discerning person can learn a lot on the internet.

And I do understand, and use the "artillery" hold. As I have tremors, I've also figured a bit of a way around it. I use a Uncle Bud's Bulls Bag, that weighs around 45 pounds. In its crevice, I place gel insoles for shoes. In my mind at least, this simulates a human fore hand. In actual usage, and even with my tremors, both guns will shoot their favorite pellets into 1/4", 10 shot groups at 20 yards. I've also shot the .177 into a 5/8" group at 50 yards. None of these examples are particularly earth shattering, but they do indicate to me that my Bulls Bag setup is a reasonable test medium. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, so to speak, just trying to relate that I have some ability to understand when trying to figure out if a gun will shoot or not.

Both the 54s are doing exactly what I said they were doing. My reason for starting this thread was to see if anyone might have insight into something I might be missing. As I'm pretty sure I don't know everything.......... :eek:)

Thanks, Chuck

Gel insoles? That's pure genius! Sounds like you're squared away (I had to ask, cause you never know till you do). I'm sorry and a little surprised that you've had two RWS rifles (with all the hype regarding their quality) with the same issue. The two rifles having consecutive serial numbers could be "good news," at least if Umarex takes their customer service seriously. Maybe it was a run of bad barrels? My 460 is a refurb, and now you've got me wondering why it was returned, and what the "actual" process for refurbing a gun is? Is it like "certifying" a pre-owned car (can't call 'em used anymore, sounds negative I guess). "140 point inspection, blah-blah-blah." I envision the "lot kid" interrupting his broom pushing as the boss shoves a clip board in his hand and says "go certify that pre-owned." Your first 54, as an example: is some guy at the factory actually testing that rifle for accuracy and saying: "hmm, you know this thing is off. Maybe I better send it to the barrel bending department..." OR is the guy just sending lead down range with no particular care, just making sure it shoots at all, and saying: "nothing wrong here, BAM-refurbished?"

I know others (who are more experienced than I) are saying: "ah, no biggie, just tweak the barrel a bit." While I am willing to fix my own guns, it's mostly out of necessity, as I live in a (Communist!) state that won't allow me to mail my airguns without going through the whole "firearms rigmarole." That said, I'm with you on this: I'm not bending or tweaking the barrel on a fixed barrel gun that I purchased new (or even refurbished for that matter)! Let the manufacturer handle it (or not). Sorry for the length, and hope you get this whole mess worked out in good time. 

Hey Mentolio, I certainly understand "The question had to be asked."............ :eek:)

And I agree that since these 2 guns were consecutive, at some point before??, and at some point after??, the 54s wouldn't have this problem. But that would be the factory's responsibility to figure out. As I mentioned, I'm old..... (74). I don't care to take my limited remaining time here to deal with it.......... :eek:)

And sorry about your living under the buying/selling/shipping constraints of your country. While a lame consolation, we're headed there. And seem to be in quite a hurry. 

As for getting "it" worked out, UPS is picking up the second gun today.

Thanks, Chuck

sweetchuckie: it's already happening, my friend...I live in New Jersey (and I don't recommend it, not even for a visit)! As far as thinking your view may be "childish," that's just crazy! We spend a significant amount of money on our hobby, and these manufacturers make a lot of claims regarding quality (and don't even get me started on their blatantly false velocity claims!). Then when the product doesn't live up to the hype, the manufacturer acts like it's our fault that we're not satisfied. I say never feel bad for not settling for less than you were promised. THEY should feel bad for you! At 74, I'm certain you remember a time when business catered to the customer, and the customer was always right. Hell, I'm 45 and I remember this! Now they make sub par stuff, tell us how awesome it is, sell it at a premium, and think we should be glad to have it...sorry, didn't mean to rant. Have you considered the Air Arms TX200? A bit more than the RWS, but supposedly the top notch springer.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, nor do I want to diminish those who have figured out how to shoot a break barrel springer, or an NP or NP2. Why, because a few claim to be able to do so. But, I can't!

I have owned two. A .177 caliber Umarex Octane, which I still own, and a Crosman Nitro in .22 caliber which I gave up on! I guess I don't know the secret, because I can't, or couldn't, as the case may be, get either of them to hold anything closer than 1 inch at 25 yards, with an inordinate amount of flyers. So good luck!

Hi Mentolio, from your comment, I figured you lived overseas somewhere....... :eek:)

But living in New Jersey??, now I'm really feeling bad for you. I live in the middle of Montana, in a small town with a population of 450. The whole county doesn't have 2,000 people in it. The way my head is tuned, I couldn't live in a place with more population. Seems like I should send you a care package or something......... :eek:)

And as for the TX200, I have considered that. I'm just so bumfuzzled right now, I'll have to cipher on things a bit.

Thanks, Chuck 

Hi Alan, I totally understand your frustrations.

My first air rifle was a Benjamin Trail NP something or other in .22 cal. I went nuts trying to figure it out. Found 2 pellets it liked best, and it would group around 1" at 20 yards. But it always had a few fliers. A friend of mine lives in Billings, which has a Cabela's. Anyway, he bought me a refurb Benjamin Trail there, at a really good price.

When I received it, I noticed the scope rail was not aligned with the barrel. So I modified the scope rings to make up for the misalignment. That worked out well, except it wouldn't shoot worth a darn either. I bought a larger selection of pellets, to give it a good chance. It ended up being much less accurate than the first one.

I was ready to give up on airguns, but had read good stuff on the RWS line. So I bought a 34 in .177, and was thrilled on its accuracy. So then I bought another 34 in .22, which I've written about on this forum. While unhappy with its excessive barrel droop, thanks to the guys on this forum, I'm now very happy with its performance.

Now, enter the 54s. Simply a really bad experience.

Point being, your problem with shooting springers might not be any of your doing. As Mentolio mentioned, we are not always getting what we think we're getting. Some of the manufacterers are turning out crap. And apparently, we airgun fans are supposed to sift through their little jewels to find one that works correctly.

Thanks, Chuck 

Sweetchuckie,
I just happen to come across this thread and I know it’s eight years old. I bought a brand new 54 in 2022. I had the exact same problem you did and I mean the exact. With a Diana ZR amount and a good hawk scope , it shot 12 inches low at 20 yards and about 12 inches to the left and that was only the beginning of the problems. I realize this in the first half hour of owning the gun but then to my shock I could not send it back to the dealer. it had to go to warranty and the nightmare began.
The gun was at warranty a total of 8 months and finally returned almost as bad as I initially sent it. It was a year and a half of frustration and stress but it’s finally fixed now. I am from Canada. I ended up having to take the gun apart myself at least three times to fix things. I also sent it down to the States to have a fantastic professional Airgunsmith named , Hector Medina bend the barrel both ways and acurize the ZR mount so the mount, barrel and scope would work effectively as one unit. He volunteered to do the bending for free and did a great job. I can’t say enough good things about Hector. The gun now is a real shooter.
I am now interested in purchasing the Airking pro in .22 . I’m 72 and can’t go through all this again , somebody mentioned to have the dealer test it with the iron sites at about 10 - 20 yards . Put the rear sight dead centre and the front sight about halfway up and then see how close it comes to the POA. If it’s dead on Vertically and maybe an inch low, perfect . The gun is scopeable.