RWS Model 45 questions

tiptop

Nov 12, 2016
OH
I have owned a model 45 .177 for a very long time. How long I don't really remember, I'm thinking maybe 20-25 years but it hasn't been fired for a decade. I never did put many rounds through it, maybe a few hundred, and it has been stored indoors in a case. Recently I took it out with a friend and we put some time in with it. It didn't seem as accurate as it should be snd I know there can be a lot of different reasons for that. But that's something I can address later. We used a chronograph and found that the MV was in the range of 690fps using Beeman Crow Mag pellets. I think this gun was originally rated at 1000fps but probably that was optimistic and was achieved with a lighter pellet. In any case, I'm thinking 690 is considerably lower than it should be and may be due to bad seals or spring. I have a number of questions. Are parts still available and would this be something I could do myself? I'm fairly capable with tools and fixing things in general. Would it even be worth doing if I had to send it to an airgunsmith or should I use it as an excuse to buy a new gun? :^)
Thanks in advance for opinions and suggestions!

Well....
First off, the 45 is worth fixing up in my opinion, but you might try a different pellet before you tear into it. RWS Superdomes would be a good choice, as well as the usual JSB and H&N, Etc.
If it's an older model it may have a leather piston seal and might revive with a few drops of silicone chamber oil in the transfer port. Drip a few drops into the hole and work the barrel back and forth a bit to move the piston, then stand it on end for a day or so.
Most springers are pretty simple to work on, but you'll need some type of spring compressor to disassemble and reassemble the gun safely. I recommend you find a video or blog tutorial on the 45 before you tackle the procedure. You may find more info with a Google search. Air Rifle Headquarters has springs and tune kits for the RWS 45.
It would be worth sending out if you like the gun, but let's face it, one always needs a new gun, lol!
John

They're pretty easy to take apart, loads of instruction vids on Youtube. I suggest you open it up and examen the spring and piston. Could be rusty on the inside, and that will influence speed. But it's probably the seals. Like John says, it's worth reviving that old lady and you might want to try different pellets with different head sizes.