Sanctioned for Rats…

I have learned that if I want to go peacefully ratting my wife has to “green light” the outing. I pretty much lay the groundwork a week ahead of time. And then we do stuff together, walking, bicycling, etc. Then after some home chores? I blurt out, honey I would like to go ratting tonight is that OK?🙈😈💥🐀💥🐀💥🐀 And off I go with my sanctioned outing… Am off after them tonight, and no matter how many rats I’ve kill its always exciting. Their eye shine and furtive movements make for fun shooting. And the satisfying thwack, or sound of hydrostatic expansion with a good head shot? Saweet!!!
IMG_0046.jpeg

I have learned that if I want to go peacefully ratting my wife has to “green light” the outing. I pretty much lay the groundwork a week ahead of time. And then we do stuff together, walking, bicycling, etc. Then after some home chores? I blurt out, honey I would like to go ratting tonight is that OK?🙈😈💥🐀💥🐀💥🐀 And off I go with my sanctioned outing… Am off after them tonight, and no matter how many rats I’ve kill its always exciting. Their eye shine and furtive movements make for fun shooting. And the satisfying thwack, or sound of hydrostatic expansion with a good head shot? Saweet!!!
View attachment 492968
Excellent haul on your "sanctioned"/she whom one must obey ratting endeavor Luis! Great pic!

Reactions: Bandito and L.Leon
DSCN0787.jpeg

My Rat Gallery is the red zone. The window is where my wife's head is at when she sleeps (not shown is the other window around the 90º corner, and equidistant in its depth from the corner.)
She who must be obeyed, Sarge, does not care for being awakened by things like missed Rat shots. So, I hope like crazy that I don't miss, and hit the backstop boards.

Last edited:
View attachment 492968
maybe a rubber Horse mat as your backstop would make less noise or at least not that hard wood crack sound

Reactions: Bandito
View attachment 493049

My Rat Gallery is the red zone. The window is where my wife's head is at when she sleeps (not shown is the other window around the 90º corner, and equidistant in its depth from the corner.)
She who must be obeyed, Sarge, does not care for being awakened by things like missed Rat shots. So, I hope like crazy that I don't miss, and hit the backstop boards.
Do you find the rats being skitterish around the red lighting? Seems a much cheaper way to go than buying an IR scope. Any additional information is appreciated.

Reactions: Moke
@Tygh

Skittish,.... explained.
No more so than in broad daylight. But they do display an awareness to the light. But it is far from being a deal breaker.
I need to run the lamp at perhaps 4/10, 5/10, and at some depth. The depth helps distribute the light more evenly.
In my instance, I need to run it low, due to overhanging shrub branches, which if the light is too high, it casts weird shadows. So, I run it at perhaps 2' high, and 10' out away from the Gallery floor, and 15' from the backstop, with its base-stem placed in a 1" pvc pipe riser that is placed vertically in a one gallon nursery pot that is filled with gravel. This allows for different placements, which has been helpful in figuring this out.
My scope likes it better with less magnification. I run it to a point where it stabilizes, and doesn't cause weird occularities. The scope is 2->7 power, and it likes it at about 5 -> 5.5
One thing for sure, is that the rodents are really sketchy, so silence and as little motion as possible.
This is my present placement, with the backstop in the distance in the sun.

This pic shows some of my placement experiments, at least riser locations.
There are two vertical risers attached to the welded wire fence (cat fence to protect the birds that Sarge feeds). There is also a piece of pipe clamped to my rain gutter. These three were either too close, or cast weird shadows.
DSCN0706.jpeg

This is my present location, at the base of the rain gutter above, on its catchment wall; but on the next course taller, and slightly wider than this image shows (by inches); Where the orange extension cord end is, is where the light is at present:
DSCN0773.jpeg

This location is below the overhanging shrub branch to the right.
That right side, under the branch, is where they'll commonly emerge from. So I don't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
@Tygh

Skittish,.... explained.
No more so than in broad daylight. But they do display an awareness to the light. But it is far from being a deal breaker.
I need to run the lamp at perhaps 4/10, 5/10, and at some depth. The depth helps distribute the light more evenly.
In my instance, I need to run it low, due to overhanging shrub branches, which if the light is too high, it casts weird shadows. So, I run it at perhaps 2' high, and 10' out away from the Gallery floor, and 15' from the backstop, with its base-stem placed in a 1" pvc pipe riser that is placed vertically in a one gallon nursery pot that is filled with gravel. This allows for different placements, which has been helpful in figuring this out.
My scope likes it better with less magnification. I run it to a point where it stabilizes, and doesn't cause weird occularities. The scope is 4->7 power, and it likes it at about 5
One thing for sure, is that the rodents are really sketchy, so silence and as little motion as possible.
This is my present placement, with the backstop in the distance in the sun.

This pic shows some of my placement experiments, at least riser locations.
There are two vertical risers attached to the welded wire fence (cat fence to protect the birds that Sarge feeds). There is also a piece of pipe clamped to my rain gutter. These three were either too close, or cast weird shadows.
View attachment 493584

This is my present location, at the base of the rain gutter above, on its catchment wall; but on the next course taller, and slightly wider than this image shows (by inches); Where the orange extension cord end is, is where the light is at present:
View attachment 493583
This location is below the overhanging shrub branch to the right.
That right side, under the branch, is where they'll commonly emerge from. So I don't want to mess with it.
Thanks so much for the detailed response. I will be giving this a try myself.