SCBA cylinder valve removal

just get creative ... id say the hardest part is just holding it ... if you have a floor jack, use a couple of old rubber soled boots to insulate the tank and jack it up under the bumper of your pickup to hold it lol .. then you just need something long to get on the valve with to break it loose .. a big pipe wrench, or you could bolt a couple of 2x4s on it lol .. i got faith in ya ...

I rolled the cylinder in a fairly thick rubber floor mat and then ratchet strapped it with 2 straps to a Black and Decker Workmate portable table. The rubber mat provided extra grip on cylinder to keep it from turning. Also on the Workmate you can open up the center maybe 4 inches where I could nest the tank to further keep it from rolling. Once I got it all tightly strapped in, I used a large crescent wrench, 15 inch I think, and was able to get it on the flat spaces on the tank valve and bust it free. It didn’t take much to come loose.

If you don’t have a workmate table, you might try something like a wood picnic table bench, anything somewhat narrow and sturdy to lay your tank on and get a couple straps around. 

Roll it up in a rubber mat and sit or kneel on it using as much of your body weight as possible, use a large crescent wrench set at about a 35 to 45 degree angle and hit the end of the wrench handle with a large rubber mallet or a small 2 pound sledge and it will break it loose. That is how I did two of mine and it worked both times. Just make sure you are turning the valve counter clockwise. I weigh about 180 pounds.