SCBA HYDRO IN N.E. OHIO

Search in your area for a local fire services/sales place, the kind that sells to fire departments. All but the really big guys do all testing on site, some of the big multi store/multi state places send stuff off and are more expensive, some on site. They "always" beat scuba places prices by a ton. Always is in quotes, someone will find the exception that I'm sure exists somewhere, I've never heard of one. In my area, the two I had done were less than a quarter the cost of any scuba place around here. The tech actually tested 3 tanks, but one could not be certified because it's manufacture date was too old. I never asked about that one, I knew, but the tech knew what I was going to use them from our talking about hunting and reloading, he told me to leave it there anyway. It did not get a sticker, he just told me it tested and inspected in spec but was too old to certify and no charge for running the test and the inspection on it.

I question the value of a hydra test with CF wrapped tanks. It is no longer a viable test. On non-carbon fiber wrapped tanks, the physical diametral change is measured with and without pressure, but with a CF bottle, they move so little the test is almost meaningless.. I think a visual internal fiber scope look for bottle corrosion is the only valid test and it does not stress the bottle like a hydro test does.

Any welding and industrial gas outfit will hydro test a cylinder. They can also tell you the max fill pressure. It should be stamped on the bottle.

They may not do a carbon fiber tank if it truly expands. It will shatter the glass on the hydro tank. I have never tested one. But I have had hundreds of aluminum and steel cylinders done. If things stretch too much during the test it ruptures the glass disk on the tank gauge.

That's what they are testing .... the elasticity of the cylinder. If the glass disc breaks it fails.

They may do carbon fiber with a different gauge I have no idea.

Last edited: