Just the opposite happens when returning the gun indoors. This causes flash rust. It's best to leave the gun buttoned up in the hot case inside the house for a few hours to acclamate to that cooler a/c temperature. Then take it out and wipe it down to store.
Ahhhhh, that makes sense and is great advice!! Thanks!! @Airgun-hobbyist

The very few times in my life that happened, I either could see well enough anyway to take the shot, or I passed the shot. Only thing that touches a lens of my scope is lint free and soft lens wipes made for camera lenses, and only indoors when I have the time to clean it correctly. Got in the habit decades ago with high dollar stuff, and treat even low dollar stuff the same way.
I guess just keep the cleaning cloth that came with the scope handy with the gun is the best option when hunting!! The shirt is always a good option to tho!!!

The very few times in my life that happened, I either could see well enough anyway to take the shot, or I passed the shot. Only thing that touches a lens of my scope is lint free and soft lens wipes made for camera lenses, and only indoors when I have the time to clean it correctly. Got in the habit decades ago with high dollar stuff, and treat even low dollar stuff the same way.
I can vividly recall one instance where that happened and the way I was holding the rifle close to my face to glass and put down to look with my eyes or binos, my breath was fogging the lens and I recall there being snow on the ground. A squirrel showed up and I just wiped the lens of with my shirt and took my shot. Depends on how bad you want the animal I guess. It was one of my earlier budget scopes. I still use it. No serious damage seemed to have occurred.
I guess just keep the cleaning cloth that came with the scope handy with the gun is the best option when hunting!! The shirt is always a good option to tho!!!
I think it’s a matter of personal choice. I mean you bought the glass with your money. Just know what you’re doing if you decide to do something like that is the best thing I can tell you. I still use the scope I wiped with my shirt.

@Poke-E They’re telling you the correct thing by using a lens cloth to wipe you scope lenses. In the moment I spoke of, I chose to do something else so I didn’t spook the animal. I can only vividly recall doing that once. I may have done it before I knew any better. It’s definitely not a regular practice .

Reactions: Poke-E
A scuba mask fogs up all the time. Your body heat warms the air and constantly fogs the lens. There are dozens of products and dozens of home remedies. Paste wax works great. Saliva works great. Lemon or lime juice. Silicone grease. Armor All or "Son of a gun" protectant...

Lots of products help. But toothpaste works best. It's got a little fine abrasive. If you used it on coated lenses it would probably damage them after multiple uses. But it won't scratch glass and makes the best anti-fog treatment out there.

You don't have to rub it on the glass. Just gently smear a little on there and wipe it off. You can let it dry and brush it off. I bet you could use it for years and never see any damage to the glass. I use it on eyeglasses all the time when wearing a respirator and it eliminates fog completely. I honestly dont THINK it will damage a scope at all but I suppose that depends on the coatings.

Reactions: Poke-E
@Poke-E No problem, but it’s not just me giving advice and sometimes I am wrong. I don’t always have the answers. I have learned plenty from a lot of these guys on the forums.
Ohh, absolutely... I have been getting some amazing advice from everyone!!! I have been thanking them all as well!!!👍🏻👍🏻

Reactions: Ezana4CE
A scuba mask fogs up all the time. Your body heat warms the air and constantly fogs the lens. There are dozens of products and dozens of home remedies. Paste wax works great. Saliva works great. Lemon or lime juice. Silicone grease. Armor All or "Son of a gun" protectant...

Lots of products help. But toothpaste works best. It's got a little fine abrasive. If you used it on coated lenses it would probably damage them after multiple uses. But it won't scratch glass and makes the best anti-fog treatment out there.

You don't have to rub it on the glass. Just gently smear a little on there and wipe it off. You can let it dry and brush it off. I bet you could use it for years and never see any damage to the glass. I use it on eyeglasses all the time when wearing a respirator and it eliminates fog completely. I honestly dont THINK it will damage a scope at all but I suppose that depends on the coatings.
After posting this question I have realized there are sooooo many options to prevent your scope from fogging up!!! I think I am going to just stick with the old take my gun outside before getting everything else ready to shoot so it can just acclimate itself! I do appreciate the advice tho!!👍🏻

Reactions: Bedrock Bob