N/A Scope for HW50?

Tuned hw50s seem to pick up a little power. Prior owner had motorhead tune this one. I'm certain it has 1 or 2 coils cut. Mine does maybe 20, 25fps above what factory says. I've used a 3-9x44 nikon shotgun scope as well as a 3-14x44 primary arms scope on mine. Finally ditched the scope altogether and use raw aluminum front post and Williams peep rear. Gun handles so nice without any glass on it.

img_1_1640488562452.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: fishing43
SpiralGroove, my Hw50 seems to shot harsher with the oem spring than the Vortek but both are right at 12 foot pounds. Is the oem and Vortek kit "over sprung"? Thanks, Don
Well, if it shoots at 12 FPE and is harsh, after a tune, yes it's over-sprung or dieseling.
This would indicate a gun out of balance with itself (platform), hence I would cut a coil or two if it were me ...........

The only way I would leave it ............ is if the gun was supremely accurate (albeit over-sprung).

That's just the way I always tune a gun ............ you can feel the shot cycle being in balance or not :) .

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Well, if it shoots at 12 FPE and is harsh, after a tune, yes it's over-sprung or dieseling.
This would indicate a gun out of balance with itself (platform), hence I would cut a coil or two if it were me ...........

The only way I would leave it ............ is if the gun was supremely accurate (albeit over-sprung).

That's just the way I always tune a gun ............ you can feel the shot cycle being in balance or not :) .
I took the Vortek spring out, cut 3 coils off oem spring, that was longer than the Vortek, and shot it over the crony. It is shooting 730, 10.53 ft lbs. The cocking is much smoother and recoil dropped a lot. We're having some pretty stiff wind here in Virginia so testing will be another day. I may put a couple washers in and bring it up to 750fps unless it is shooting really good groups. Don

The Arken scopes are really good at a good price. They are large and quite heavy though.View attachment 394743
Hey Bear,
I would love to get an Arken scope, but don't they have a minimum focus of 25 Yards?
This is perfect for shooting at 25 yards +, but pretty limiting unless your a long range shooter ..... only.

I just mailed a standard 3-12 Talos back to Athlon yesterday. The HW50 killed it. The focus got blurry and changing magnification from 3x to 12x didn't make a difference. Only had about 2 tins on it. Will be selling it or putting on a non boinger when Athlon fixes or replaces it. I am under the understanding that the Talos is only rated for springers under 12 foot pounds. Athlon confirmed that my two Helos 4-20x50 are rated for any springer. I am keeping that e-mail, just in case there is an issue. Don
PA site rated HW50 .177 =11.21 fpe and .22 = 8.71 Fpe

• Wow
Hey Bear,
I would love to get an Arken scope, but don't they have a minimum focus of 25 Yards?
This is perfect for shooting at 25 yards +, but pretty limiting unless your a long range shooter ..... only.
This is why I posted the specifications. I think a 25 yard parallax is sufficient.
37AE52A0-A25A-4308-9898-C42866F6B137.jpeg

Last edited:
The hw50 shoots well at factory levels of 12 fpe in 177. I've "tuned" several of these guns with PG2-PG4 Vortek kits. One 22 caliber 50 I personally owned made 14 FPE with a now discontinued Vortek PG2 SHO kit. That's clean without dieseling. It was too much and I swapped out the kit with a then PG2 HO kit. It made a very nice 12 FPE. I didn't care for the loopy 600 fps so I sold it to a forum member. I believe it's since dipped to 11 FPE as many Vortek kits do over a long time. Fwiw it's one of two springers that he kept after going to the darkside.

My personal 177 HW50 is my most consistent springer. First shot is always dead on. It's my go to squirrel gun. It started a little over 12 FPE and then it too sank close to 11 FPE.

The 22 I sold had my lowest extreme spread of any springer I've owned. It had an ES of three over ten shots. So I guess I might call it "tuned". Maybe he'll chime in to verify it's current condition.

My gun, out of the box, QYS 8.48 pellets averaged 800 fps which is 12.05 ft. Lbs. on Pyramyd calculator if l put the info in right. Don
Some guns have very "True" compression chambers vs. than the average and make more power, but the shot cycle shouldn't be harsh.
Again, some folk don't mind sold recoil and shoot well - I prefer a shot cycle on the aggressive side of being "in balance" with the platform.

Reactions: BABz58
This is why I posted the specifications. I think a 25 yard parallax is sufficient. View attachment 394775
Yeah Bear,
I do most of my shooting in my 13 yd crawl space and need to focus closer than 25 yards. At the range or while camping 25 would probably be fine too.
Hence, I only buy scopes that focus down to 10 yards. I maybe in the minority.....

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Sqwirl57, I found out the low end Athlon scopes were not springer rated after l bought Talos and a BTR Talos. I sold the BTR and hope Athlon warranties the Talos. Wish the optics companies would list scopes that are not springer rated in their adds. Don
Hawke 3x12 Airmax. I've killed a couple of UTG scopes on my R9, and the glass and sight picture better on the Hawke scopes. The reticles are pretty fine so I prefer the IR models. If you are patient ans subscribe to DVOR there are very good deals on Hawke scopes from time to time.....like 1/2 price deals.(y)