Scope Recommendation for DRS Classic

I’m planning to get the FX DRS Classic with walnut stock when they become available. Looking for scope recommendations to use based on the following criteria.

• 3-15x44, 3-18x44 or 4-16x44
  • SFP preferred
  • Lightweight (16-20 oz range)
  • Mainly pest control out to 75 yds
  • $500 or less
  • 30mm tube preferred
  • Small or capped turrets, don’t plan on dialing.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Anything large and heavy will be counter-productive.
Normally, Id recomend a high quality optic, for any FX.
But the DRS is unusual in that its going to be short, simple, and extremly light in weight.
So for me personally, weight will be an important priority with a DRS optic.
I have a spare, brand new, inexpensive Bugbuster that will go on my DRS.
3-12 x 32, side focus, and paralax from 3 yards to infinity.
Its very short, very simple, very lightweight, and I already own it!
It might be temporary, but then again, it should be perfect for my DRS uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peashooter
There's the Athlon Heras 4-20 that you can get at Cameraland. I like mine and would rate it as best quality and value for the money in a SFP scope for general plinking, target, or hunting. It's got good glass as well.
Blows most scopes in this price range away. Though it has excellent high quality non capped turrets and heavier than you want.

There's also the 3-12 Heras.

Both reticles are .2 mil based and on the thin side.

But well within your price range and still a decent scope is the Athlon Talos 4-16 with capped turrets and is pretty lightweight. Mine worked fine for years until I sold it after getting both those Heras scopes which are a big upgrade in quality.
The upsides in this Talos were .1 clicks at 5 mils per turn and matching mildot reticle with mils correct on 10x. This reticle is on the thick side which can be nice.

Reactions: pesty3782
Not many scopes under 20oz these days. For the DRS specifically I would run something like this classic Leupold, Adjustable Paralax 10yds+ and is very light:

There's the Athlon Heras 4-20 that you can get at Cameraland. I like mine and would rate it as best quality and value for the money in a SFP scope for general plinking, target, or hunting. It's got good glass as well.
Blows most scopes in this price range away. Though it has excellent high quality non capped turrets and heavier than you want.

There's also the 3-12 Heras.

Both reticles are .2 mil based and on the thin side.

But well within your price range and still a decent scope is the Athlon Talos 4-16 with capped turrets and is pretty lightweight. Mine worked fine for years until I sold it after getting both those Heras scopes which are a big upgrade in quality.
The upsides in this Talos were .1 clicks at 5 mils per turn and matching mildot reticle with mils correct on 10x. This reticle is on the thick side which can be nice.
I will 2nd what Steve says the Heras is a very nice scope for the money. I run one on my BRK Pistol set up and love it. It ranges nice and has pretty good glass for the price point. Also a no questions asked lifetime warranty from Athlon. Next for me, but a little more money is Athlons Midas Tac.

Tony P.

Reactions: steve123
I have preordered a DRS classic .22 600mm and am also looking for a light weight 44mm scope in the 4 to 16 power range. I have an Element 50mm scope on my Dreamline and it is just too heavy and long for a hunting rifle. I have looked at the Hawke Airmax compact scopes . I’m liking the 6 x 16X. They advertise a large field of view which is nice for hunting. It is just under $600. I am spoiled having an Emersive 14X 50 scope on a L2 and a Wildcat. Love that huge field of view they have but I want a traditional looking scope on this DRS. I’m waiting until after I get the rifle . I have a Optisan 3 x 12 CP to start with. It’s a nice small scope but it doesn’t have much field of view. I saw a Leopold CDI scope at an outdoor show a few weeks ago. I think it went up to 14X or maybe 16X. It just had a standard duplex crosshairs. It was really light weight and was the only CDI model with side focus . I’m sure you could get a different cross hair thru their custom shop. But it’s over $600. I’ll look at some of the others mentioned on here.

Last edited:
This is what I am putting on my DRS

20240308_122016.jpg

Got my DRS and mounted a Hawke 4x16 x44 Airmax compact scope. I was worried if the compact scope would be far enough to the rear for a proper eye relief. But with the scope mounted centered on the receiver the 3” eye relief is perfect. I used a pair of Eagle Vision scope rings I had with a 11mm adapter. With this setup you can still get the Dreamline larger magazine in (see picture). For me the scope could be a 1/2” lower but I may want to use the larger magazine some times. We will see how this rifle is finally tuned and used for.

IMG_6422.jpeg

IMG_6424.jpeg