Scott SCBA tank valve.... SIEZED!

I was given this tank yesterday and all attempts at moving the valve in either the counterclockwise or clockwise directions result in ...NO JOY!

My attempts have been both with the knob pushed in until the spring was fully compressed, and all tension released.

It may be time to attempt removing the valve from the tank. Or alternatively, to admit its smarter than me and ask for help.

Any Help out there?
scott scba tank valve cropped.png

Last edited:
Is there pressure in the tank? If not, removing valve assembly from tank should be easy. Before you do that, tighten nut in middle of valve handle ALL THE WAY DOWN & see if the valve handle will then turn (hold black knob while tightening nut). The spring loaded handle is a safety feature that can be bypassed by tightening that center nut. Try it & let me know. I have a Scott valve if yours needs replacing.

NOTE: Your problem might be that the knob nut isn't tightened enough to bypass safety lock!

Last edited:
Is there pressure in the tank? If not, removing valve assembly from tank should be easy. Before you do that, tighten nut in middle of valve handle ALL THE WAY DOWN & see if the valve handle will then turn (hold black knob while tightening nut). The spring loaded handle is a safety feature that can be bypassed by tightening that center nut. Try it & let me know. I have a Scott valve if yours needs replacing.
@Gerry52 Nevermind. I read that wrong. KY. SMH

NOTE: Your problem might be that the knob nut isn't tightened enough to bypass safety lock!
The seller claimed he sent the tank devoid of pressurized air and the gauge shows zero. Who knows if its accurate... I'm heading to the garage for socket and ratchet.

I'm confident of overcoming this after following Ezana4CE's link to the other thread.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep posting till its resolved

The "safety" mechanism of those knobs is a ratchet & compression spring. I had a feeling that depressing knob wasn't going far enough to bypass (thereby unlocking) ratchet. Is knob turning easily in both directions? Glad it's sorted out!
smoother than imitation butter, even!

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge

Headed to the fire department for my first top off....hopefully

I've got a brand new Scott valve I'll give you if you need it. I bought a new 60min Scott not long ago and changed the valve out. The original is collecting dust on my workbench.
Let me know if you need it or I'll wait on someone else that needs one.
Mighty generous of you to make that offer. I'll let you know if the local fire guys compressors' air has ingress only. All 10 fingers crossed!

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
I've got a brand new Scott valve I'll give you if you need it. I bought a new 60min Scott not long ago and changed the valve out. The original is collecting dust on my workbench.
Let me know if you need it or I'll wait on someone else that needs one.

I'm curious about the reason you changed and the valve you chose. My intent was to find and purchase a male to female (5/8-18UNF to 7/8-14UNF.... or whatever the pitch and diameter of the Scott valve is)
adaptor from the OEM Scott valve to this widgetbut maybe you can offer a better solution in the same price range?

51fr9V6NthS._SL1000_.jpg