Screwed to death

I have a Gamo Urban which gave me a few years of (very loud) service and decent accuracy with CPHP.

A few months ago it started leaking, at first slowly but now it dumps the air in a few minutes through the barrel and breech.
I assumed I will need to change a few o rings and decided to disassemble the rifle.

Now the fun starts.

The Gamo Urban schematic is here: https://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/GAM3-Exploded-Diagram.pdf

The first 2 long screws going into the breech were seriously stuck and took 2 hours to get them out.
I bought a screw extractor kit which proved to be useless, used WD 40 as penetrating oil useless again.
I could only get the screws out by using a Dremel and cutting a slot in them and the side of the breech (which was in the way).

Continued with the disassembly until I got to the 2 screws pinning the valve to the air tube.
2 hours later after breaking a hex key in one of them I made a slot with a Dremel.
Now, even with the slot and a few flathead screwdrivers the screw will not budge.

Does anybody know how to get those screws out ?

If nothing works I was thinking of destroying that POS Gamo Urban on camera and posting it on youtube.

I have a Gamo Urban which gave me a few years of (very loud) service and decent accuracy with CPHP.

A few months ago it started leaking, at first slowly but now it dumps the air in a few minutes through the barrel and breech.
I assumed I will need to change a few o rings and decided to disassemble the rifle.

Now the fun starts.

The Gamo Urban schematic is here: https://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/GAM3-Exploded-Diagram.pdf

The first 2 long screws going into the breech were seriously stuck and took 2 hours to get them out.
I bought a screw extractor kit which proved to be useless, used WD 40 as penetrating oil useless again.
I could only get the screws out by using a Dremel and cutting a slot in them and the side of the breech (which was in the way).

Continued with the disassembly until I got to the 2 screws pinning the valve to the air tube.
2 hours later after breaking a hex key in one of them I made a slot with a Dremel.
Now, even with the slot and a few flathead screwdrivers the screw will not budge.

Does anybody know how to get those screws out ?

If nothing works I was thinking of destroying that POS Gamo Urban on camera and posting it on youtube.
Sounds like it is just about destroyed already hahahaha! It sucks that it’s not cooperating with you trying to maintain it. Probably a stupid question but are you sure it’s completely empty of air? Pressure behind the valve causes a LOT of pressure on the screws.
You can try heat to help it loosen. The safest way to apply heat to an individual screw that I’ve found is to heat an extra hex wrench of the appropriate size red hot and insert it into the head of the bolt and let the heat transfer a few seconds. 10-15 seconds is plenty. Then, using a new un-heated hex wrench try backing the screw out. Heat will take the temper out of your wrench and will ruin its strength so you’ll not want to use that wrench for anything else after heating it like that.
Personally at this point after you’ve boogered up the rifle with the dremel I would say just let it go and buy a new one. I’m sure you’ve already gotten your money’s worth out of the Urban if you’ve used it very much.

https://www.airgunspares.com/gunspares/airgun-spares/gamo/air-rifles/u/urban.html
it is a little late to help you
you have painted yourself into a corner
the screws were more than like put in with way too much thread lock and torque will not remove them, impact might have
before you destroyed the heads
they do make impact extractors that can be used with a butterfly air wrench, and they work very well
ATE pro.USA 50201
very handy when you strip out HW45 barrel screws and a 2mm drill bit
so back to the Gamo you need to use impact to remove and you will need those extractors and a controllable air tool
https://www.google.com/search?q=but...0EkgEBN5gBAKABAcABAcgBCg&sclient=gws-wiz-serp
and then you need an air supply
the bottom line is if you don't have the right tools, you could find yourself making a basket case, not what you wanted to hear but it is reality

You have to heat them they are loc tited in. I mean after all I don’t know about you but I certainly would want a valve under 3300 psi to stay put. I’ll never understand the loud comments about the urban. Then again I don’t think I will ever understand airgun “loud”. It is a completely different loud. Finally it may be a circular file type of item. You will have to scour Europe for parts if you need any as gamo USA pretty much will sell breech seals and fill probes. If it is leaking out the barrel sounds like a bad valve. I found my reseal kit for that gun on eBay.

I have spent another 30 minutes heating one of the valve screws with a soldering iron.
The screw had a big slot in it.
As much as I tried I could not move the screw.
In total I have spent at least 4 hours trying to remove 4 screws.

Gamo Urban has very few parts available.
And even if it had parts you could not use them because Gamo decided to not let us airgunners even change o'rings.

This is the last Gamo or BSA air gun I will ever buy.
BSA and Gamo can shove their cold forged barrels up their tight a...
The next person who mentions made in UK and cold forged barrel will get a big piece of my mind.

My Chinese airguns (Avenger, Nova Vista, etc) leave the "Made in UK" airguns (even 2-3 times more expensive) in the dust.

And yes, the Gamo Urban has been the loudest (non springer) airgun I have ever owned and almost impossible to silence.

Last edited:
Get some really good penetrating oil, superzilla, etc. & try that next. There's better stuff than wd40
While WD-40 is a popular and widely used penetrating oil, there are indeed other products on the market that may offer different advantages and superior performance in certain situations. One such product you mentioned is Superzilla, which is known for its penetrating capabilities and effectiveness.
Superzilla is a powerful multipurpose lubricant and penetrating oil that is designed to break through rust, corrosion, and other stubborn substances. It is formulated to provide excellent lubrication and to displace moisture, making it useful for a wide range of applications, including loosening stuck bolts, freeing rusted parts, and protecting metal surfaces.
When it comes to choosing a penetrating oil, it's essential to consider the specific requirements of your task. Different products may excel in certain areas, such as corrosion resistance, extreme temperatures, or specific types of metal. Reading product reviews, considering the recommendations of professionals in the field, or consulting with experts at hardware or automotive stores can help you make an informed decision about which penetrating oil to use.
Remember to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using any penetrating oil or lubricant, as some products may have specific application methods or precautions.