N/A Semi-Auto Recommendations

Thanks everyone! The only reason I held off on the K1 is because my cousin owns one, which I shoot frequently. It's a great shooter, and chances are i'll probably purchase his when he decides to sell it, but for now I'd like something that sub 30". Anyhow, I ended up pulling the trigger and purchasing the SW Compact.
Cool. Enjoy it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it compared to the Huben you've shot.

My first semi auto was an AEA HP SS .22 caliber.
A giant POS.
It had so many issues that I had to convert it to bolt action.

I have bought a new Hatsan Invader .22 just a few weeks ago, during a sale for a little over $200.

I have shot about 800 pellets without any issues.
I had less than 10 times when I shot and the pellet did not come out because the magazine did not index properly.

It is very accurate with all the cheap pellets I tried, CPHP, Norma 15 and 18 grains.
It is almost as accurate at 50-60 yards as my Avenger or Nova Liberty.
The only reason for not being as accurate is the single stage and heavy trigger.
I also managed to tune it to 60 shots in the 825-860 range with CPHP.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOhunter
The AEA SF is great shooting rifle if you get a 3rd party magazine something about the stock aea mags just give up the ghost. i would recommend Swede mags if that's the one you go with!
I have 2 Swede mags(22 cal ) supposed to be delivered later today , from Fox Air, Not cheap $$ ,but hoping they work & last well.

Reactions: MOhunter
Wait until you have the money for the very best you are convinced you can buy. And buy it new.
I did just that and bought a Steyr H5. Could not recommend it more highly. I was already sold on Steyr as a manufacturer of powder burners and own three Forrester's in 6.5X55, .260 Rem and .300 WinMag. Highest quality with the H5 as well.

1720405604487.png

Reactions: Emu
The AEA SF is great shooting rifle if you get a 3rd party magazine something about the stock aea mags just give up the ghost. i would recommend Swede mags if that's the one you go with!
Agree, SF is probably the best AEA's semi-auto up till now. With the right mag and some TLC it shoots great. Plus, it's regulated. The most problematic AEA's semi-auto was HP SS, but I saw that people figured out how to get it working properly, there is a thread here on AGN it. Also, if you polish the trigger and lighten the spring, it gets even better. I agree, AEA has a rough history and doesn't get much love, but all I say is if you are tight on a budget but have time and will to tinker with them, they can be great. Sorry got hijacking the topic a bit ;).

I love my Sidewinder it is awesome.

Everything I've read about AEA says it's probably a good idea to stay away from their semi auto guns, though I've been looking at some of their big bore pump action mods.

The Hatsan Sortie is a pretty fun gun if you get one that doesn't leak too bad. I'd rather have a GK1 though LOL!
Watch for tolerance issues in your spare mags. I've found .004 too tight in multiple calibers. My lower block is broken from the factory. Trying to get some service. So far the service has been fair at best.

IMG_20240817_131150.jpg

Thanks again, everyone. I ended up deciding to hold off for now and wait until I can afford/justify a Sidewinder. $2250 is a lot of cash, but seems worth the wait.
Wallace, I came close to purchasing that one. I'd prefer a .22 though.
Tolerance issues with the spare magazines. My lower block was broken from the factory. Started leaking after 6 months. Trying to get some service. I would recommend EdGun USA if you want decent service. A of A hasn't proven themselves to me.

IMG_20240817_131150.jpg

Don’t get the sf. I have one but it finicky. The mags suck. If you do get it immediately order the aftermarket mags from ae. Swede.
I also own the gk1. Major shortcoming is shot count. Small reservoir. Fun pistol but eats up air. The K1 is amazing. Evanix has a few but I’m not familiar with them but if you’re not in a rush the new Karma SLS is actually on a container ship on its way here. The pellet shop will have them shortly. I will be one of the first to get the 30cal.
It’s single and semi and designed by donnyfl who makes the red panda.
It will come in 22,25,30,357.
Call them and tell them if you’re interested. Pj Clark has a few vids on the sls on YouTube. The 30&357 have a different valving system than the compact series and it much more powerful.
I have an lcs 25, aea sf30 Aea 25 td carbine and a GK1 25 so I am pretty well versed in semis.