Set a new world record today 306 … and shattered that record again 451 and AGAIN ... 540!

On my P-Rod I’m running a UTG BUG BUSTER 3-12X32 mil-dot, with UTG side wheel and medium UTG scope rings, zeroed at 20 yards. I’m using CROSSMAN Premier HP 14.3g 540fps. The sweet spot is between 2,000-1650psi, which equates to 3-4 eight round mags.

The amazing thing to me is your making those long shots with 9.26 fpe. I remember shooting pigeons with my fwb124 .177 and having some fly off. So many guys hung up on power it's nice to see the right way to eliminate pests around cattle without any damage to the buildings or cows.

We bagged 130 winged rats today. Weather was perfect and we figured the birds would be outdoors, but we were wrong. We had at least a dozen “two-fers” today too. Life is good.
IMG_6814.jpeg
IMG_6811.jpeg

Plus the cows were really happy and full of love. Just look at Elsie kissing this bird goodbye.

IMG_6813.jpeg

Hi @Smitty911 and @Airgunmann , They had several rubber owl decoys but I’m pretty sure they don’t work, from what we have seen. There are even a couple red tail hawks flying around inside the barns and they don’t seem to deter the winged rats either.
Jeez lol just packed full I was going to try to decoy them into a better shooting position do they even get spooked when you shoot

Nice to see the Atomic XR is working out for you…
@L.Leon Thanks Luis. I really do like this little rifle. It’s far more accurate than it’s diminutive size would suggest. I used Hades on this trip and they seem for more effective at dropping birds right where they were as compared to the CPHP’s. I tried both tuned right at ~700 FPS and I seemed to get more pass throughs with the CPHPs and often the birds would fly a ways before they dropped when shot with them.

Reactions: L.Leon
@L.Leon Thanks Luis. I really do like this little rifle. It’s far more accurate than it’s diminutive size would suggest. I used Hades on this trip and they seem for more effective at dropping birds right where they were as compared to the CPHP’s. I tried both tuned right at ~700 FPS and I seemed to get more pass throughs with the CPHPs and often the birds would fly a ways before they dropped when shot with them.
I must agree, it is wickedly accurate, am consistently hitting black walnut husks from 25 to 64 yards. The hits make me actually laugh out loud. All the husk represent a chipmunk’s head nicely. I have to go two to three hours north to get new dairy permissions, so my Atomic isn’t getting the work out your is… But am in the planning stages for a trip north.

Jeez lol just packed full I was going to try to decoy them into a better shooting position do they even get spooked when you shoot
@Airgunmann It kind of depends on the time of year and the age of the birds. If it’s mating season in the early spring, they are pretty stupid because they only have one thing on their mind and it’s not us so it’s easy chootin. If they are setting on a nest they don’t tend to move off of it and you can plant them there. If they are young hatchlings they are stupid and arent smart enough to be afraid of anything.

If it’s mid to late in the year then they can act quite differently. Initially when we enter a barn they aren’t onto us yet and we can get lots of short range shots off without spooking them. On our second or third trip through the barn then they are onto us and spook easily and our shots get longer and further away.

Reactions: Airgunmann
Well … take that with a grain-o-salt. My buddy and I have been hunting a large industrialized dairy farm permission for several years trying to reduce the pigeon population. We’ve shot over 6,000 pigeons there. The owner was so sick of the birds he went to great expense to enclose all of the four 1/4 mile long barns in hopes to get rid of the nasty birds. Initially it worked and we lost that permission for 2 years. Last week my buddy received word that the owner asked us to come back as the pigeons had returned.

We expected there to be only a few pigeons there but once we got inside the first barn there were thousands of them. More than we had ever seen. Previously the barns had steel roofing and we could shoot birds about anywhere but during the enclosure project they replaced all of the steel roofing with fiberglass roofing. So, that really changed our shooting challenges. The barns have steel framework so we could only take aim where the birds were in front of a steel back stop. We didn’t want to get blamed for poking holes in the new $850,000 roofing!

We we’re in the barns by 9:30 am today and within 3 hours we dropped 306 pigeons between the two of us, which bested our previous record of 190 birds. So, yes, it’s a new world record … (in our small part of the world) … for us ;)

View attachment 322273View attachment 322274
nice work what type of guns where you shooting

nice work what type of guns where you shooting
@jgg765 I’m using a .22 Brocock Atomic and my buddy @reiffra945 is using his 22 P-Rod. I’ve also used my RTI Prophet Compact .22 and Taipan Veteran Compact .22 but prefer the Atomic for its lighter weight. The P-Rod is even lighter weight than mine and might very well be the ultimate barn gun.

@jgg765 I’m using a .22 Brocock Atomic and my buddy @reiffra945 is using his 22 P-Rod. I’ve also used my RTI Prophet Compact .22 and Taipan Veteran Compact .22 but prefer the Atomic for its lighter weight. The P-Rod is even lighter weight than mine and might very well be the ultimate barn gun.
nice I am thinking about pickup up an atomic what is a 22 p-rod do you mean. do you mean the Benjamin Marauder BP2220 .22-Caliber PCP Air Pistol. Or something else. If you had to ick between the two which one would you pick?

@jgg765 , Yes, I am referring to the Benjamin pistol / carbine. Comparing the two is an apples to oranges comparison. Atomic is side lever cocking and P-rod is bolt cocking. They both get about the same amount of shots (30) per fill. Atomic is regulated and P-rod isn’t. Both are very accurate but with the optional hammer spring adjuster the Atomic can be tuned to higher power. The Atomic is twice the price and magazines are $100 each compared to $20 for the p-rod. Both are quality made with quality materials. I’ve owned both and they both have pros and cons. My buddy likes his P-rod and I like my Atomic. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Ok, let's talk. This seems like the right time and place to just go absolutely ham with a plastic-BB airsoft rifle. I think that headshots with that would be fatal, and body shots would, if nothing else, drive the birds out quick.

I think I'd probably test the roofing with a spare bit first just to be sure, but my feeling is that it's probably just enough to be lethal to a delicate bird skull, but just weak enough to not jack up that roofing.

Thoughts? My only concern would be if there's a potential issue with the cattle eating the BB's. (But I don't actually think that would be a significant issue?)

Ok, let's talk. This seems like the right time and place to just go absolutely ham with a plastic-BB airsoft rifle. I think that headshots with that would be fatal, and body shots would, if nothing else, drive the birds out quick.

I think I'd probably test the roofing with a spare bit first just to be sure, but my feeling is that it's probably just enough to be lethal to a delicate bird skull, but just weak enough to not jack up that roofing.

Thoughts? My only concern would be if there's a potential issue with the cattle eating the BB's. (But I don't actually think that would be a significant issue?)
Thanks for the idea, but PCP is the way to go. We have our guns dialed in and can take shots at 35 yards and beyond without damaging the roofing. Majority of our shots are to the heart/lung area and they drop like a rock. We are averaging over 200 birds per hunt and feel we have the perfect set-ups for the job.

@reiffra945 and I made another trip to the dairy this morning and dropped 180 flying rats. This brings our total to 3138 for 2023 and a grand total of 8969 since we started hunting them there back in 2017.

IMG_7052.jpeg
IMG_7053.jpeg
IMG_7056.jpeg

Unfortunately the tractor and feed wagon flattened this one before we could get to it to pick it up. Although @reiffra945 says that’s what they REALLY look like after he drops one with his mighty P-rod. 😂
IMG_7055.jpeg

Reactions: AmosBurton