Sfp vs ffp which one do you use?

Sfp or ffp, which one for you?

• Total voters
I agree with the other comments that have been made. I have FFP scopes I like but I prefer SFP but if a FFP has a thick reticle, it works fine. My Primary Arms 4-14 FFP is very legible at 4X. But it doesn't work well for target shooting. My Arken 6-24 is great for shooting targets but illegible at 6X and tough to see at 8X. 10X works but makes it hard to locate a target quickly. Illumination helps a little but it does not make 6X usable. I think Arkens are a great buy for a lower priced scope that you can depend on the adjustments and also have decent glass. But they only come ffp. I might order a 4-16X just so I can use it for hunting at 6X (hopefully). But it won't work well for target work. Wish they had a SFP.

I agree with the other comments that have been made. I have FFP scopes I like but I prefer SFP but if a FFP has a thick reticle, it works fine. My Primary Arms 4-14 FFP is very legible at 4X. But it doesn't work well for target shooting. My Arken 6-24 is great for shooting targets but illegible at 6X and tough to see at 8X. 10X works but makes it hard to locate a target quickly. Illumination helps a little but it does not make 6X usable. I think Arkens are a great buy for a lower priced scope that you can depend on the adjustments and also have decent glass. But they only come ffp. I might order a 4-16X just so I can use it for hunting at 6X (hopefully). But it won't work well for target work. Wish they had a SFP.
I said that years ago when I had to try a bloated Arken. I think they lost weight since then. Mine is a 4-16 and the glass isn’t bad but it’s on one of my guns that I don’t go below 12x for all my shooting. If they ever make a SFP, I won’t hesitate to buy one.

FFP for me. Thought I would hate it but never having your holds change is awesome.
My first experience with FFP was awful. I had picked up a surplus Soviet military 3-9x scope and that thing was the worst POS ever. It had a tiny barely visible reticle at 3x and a huge one at 9x and it increased its elevation setting as you zoomed in, so 3x was supposed to correspond to 300m and 9x to 900m.

That thing put me off FFPs for over 2 decades. I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle now on one of my rifles and it's reticle is infinitely better than that old communist piece of junk. It still gets small at low power, but these days they've figured out how to scale the crosshairs so that they're still functional at either extreme.

Reactions: Trucker3573
I'm ok with SFP scopes, as I simply dial them to the power that the reticle is calibrated at and make adjustments, then shoot at whatever mag I need. I have probably 10-15 scopes, only one is FFP. It's an Athlon Midas Tac, 4-16 and it is one fine scope for sure.
I think there's a lot of hype currently around FFP scopes. A lot of people are convinced they are the be all and end all. I remember seeing a review of a 10-40x target scope on YouTube and seeing people in the comments complaining about it being SFP. They didn't even understand that it was made to have a fine reticle at high power for target shooting and had it been FFP that that reticle would have been barely visible at 10x.

I think there's a lot of hype currently around FFP scopes. A lot of people are convinced they are the be all and end all. I remember seeing a review of a 10-40x target scope on YouTube and seeing people in the comments complaining about it being SFP. They didn't even understand that it was made to have a fine reticle at high power for target shooting and had it been FFP that that reticle would have been barely visible at 10x.

I’m not sure I’d call it “hype.” The benefits are very real and tangible, in the use for which it was intended. Benchrest is not one of them. Just a different tool for a different use, really. :)

Yall just need some better eyes or something lol just kidding of course but yeah I'm FFP all the way. I rarely use above 10x unless I'm sighting in. Then again I tend to buy lower power FFPs. Have a 2-12, 3-12, 4-16 and 4-20. Normally use lower powers when pesting. Not having to worry about holds at different magnification is big to me. I planned on dialing but comes down to it just too much time so I dont.

Reactions: L.Leon