Sfp vs ffp which one do you use?

Sfp or ffp, which one for you?

• Total voters
What magnification did you select on the fixed power scopes? Brand?

I have a Dedal Stalker 6x prism, and an MTC 12x prism. The Dedal can be used on a wide array of guns, right now it's on my deer rifle. The MTC has essentially zero eye relief, so it's only for my PCP rifle. All my other scopes are various night vision setups, thermal and IR.

Reactions: Hal4son
I have always used SFP scopes and hold over in inches with a powderburner. I also prefer a regular duplex reticle with no dots. I just estimate a distance on the target at whatever magnification I'm at.

I shoot the air rifles mostly with iron sights. So learning the trajectory without a point of reference comes with the territory. I started using the dots with my scoped air rifles (SFP) but more and more I'm just using the crosshair and visualizing a distance above or below.

Last edited:
I replied second focal plane because all but one of my guns is SFP. I don't have any pearls of wisdom so I'll just list what I've noticed.

FFP is really nice when the clicks match the reticle.

When zoomed out to locate active hunting targets I cant read FFP subtensions. Then again I can't remember the subtensions for every load/pellet at every magnification on all my guns with SFP scopes. It's a wash.

I only use one pellet gun for active hunting. It wears a fixed 4x non AO mildot scope. And I know all my holdovers. There's beauty in simplicity.

Most of my airgunning is done at fixed targets at fixed ranges near max power so either scope type is fine. I do think FFP with matching turrets is easier to dial adjustments but most decent FFP scopes are too expensive and too big for my airguns. I don't find myself dialing alot with my airguns.

I did try switching to mils on my first FFP scope but couldn't mentally make the transition. I wound up switching it to a moa reticle. Then going back to my Airmax scopes with variable mildots and MOA adjustments wrecked my head.