Sheridan Sheridan Benjamin Silver Streak Transition Pieces F9 - 397G - 392G CO2 Nickel

IMG_1319.jpeg
IMG_1321.jpeg
IMG_1322.jpeg
IMG_1323.jpeg
IMG_1324.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1327.jpeg
IMG_1328.jpeg
IMG_1329.jpeg
IMG_1332.jpeg
IMG_1336.jpeg
IMG_1333.jpeg
Took a while to gather these through the years and though I usually take pictures outdoors for better lighting, I thought I would share a rare grouping of nickel CO2 Sheridan/Benjamin pellet rifles.

The oldest .20 has a shorter 4.00” breach and probably uses the older style led seal valve with possibly the other photographed .20 has the new style 4.50” breach may use the cartridge style, though I haven’t disassembled this one yet.

Notes I’ve observed:

.20 Sheridan F9 S/N W131433 - I’ve read the “W” in the serial number is for Wisconsin. Notice the front sight is angled with a stylish knurl on the back taper (on both the large and small breach .20)

Nickel plated trigger and barrel length ends even with top of CO2 cap. Phillips screw holding stock to frame.

.20 Sheridan F9 S/N 118311 - Has a flat blade screw on retaining cap unlike Phillip on the earlier .20. Again, knurled back angled front sight.

4.500” breach. Barrel length again ends at top of CO2 cap. Flat blade stock to frame screw.

.177 Benjamin 397G S/N I010440 (G = Gas) - Black trigger and shorter front sight length. Flat blade screw on retaining cap. Barrel ends evenly with end of CO2 tube. Flat blade stock screw.

.22 Benjamin 392G S/N N022119 (G = Gas) - Black trigger and shorter sight length. Flat blade screw again on retaining screw. Flat blade stock screw.
IMG_1319.jpeg

The nickel-plated Benj/Sheridan CO2 rifles were discontinued in the early part of 1995 and are tough to find, so well done on locating such exquisite examples. (y) After that, there was just the black option available. By early 1997, available models had been whittled down to only the black 397GA CO2 rifle. Then, sadly, by the end of 2002, that model had been discontinued as well.

The rifles shown above all have the earlier soldered-in valve setup. The cartridge valve didn't appear until mid-1995. Guns with the newer valve have an "A" stamped after the model number. For example F9A, 397GA, 392PA etc.

May I point out also that the earlier guns have the longer breech, not the other way around. However, the receivers were extended when they switched to the new trigger packs in June of 1997.

View attachment 419593View attachment 419600View attachment 419599View attachment 419594View attachment 419597View attachment 419602View attachment 419595View attachment 419596View attachment 419601View attachment 419598View attachment 419604View attachment 419603Took a while to gather these through the years and though I usually take pictures outdoors for better lighting, I thought I would share a rare grouping of nickel CO2 Sheridan/Benjamin pellet rifles.

The oldest .20 has a shorter 4.00” breach and probably uses the older style led seal valve with possibly the other photographed .20 has the new style 4.50” breach may use the cartridge style, though I haven’t disassembled this one yet.

Notes I’ve observed:

.20 Sheridan F9 S/N W131433 - I’ve read the “W” in the serial number is for Wisconsin. Notice the front sight is angled with a stylish knurl on the back taper (on both the large and small breach .20)

Nickel plated trigger and barrel length ends even with top of CO2 cap. Phillips screw holding stock to frame.

.20 Sheridan F9 S/N 118311 - Has a flat blade screw on retaining cap unlike Phillip on the earlier .20. Again, knurled back angled front sight.

4.500” breach. Barrel length again ends at top of CO2 cap. Flat blade stock to frame screw.

.177 Benjamin 397G S/N I010440 (G = Gas) - Black trigger and shorter front sight length. Flat blade screw on retaining cap. Barrel ends evenly with end of CO2 tube. Flat blade stock screw.

.22 Benjamin 392G S/N N022119 (G = Gas) - Black trigger and shorter sight length. Flat blade screw again on retaining screw. Flat blade stock screw.View attachment 419593
Very nice collection and thank you for sharing it with us!

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
The nickel-plated Benj/Sheridan CO2 rifles were discontinued in the early part of 1995 and are tough to find, so well done on locating such exquisite examples. (y) After that, there was just the black option available. By early 1997, available models had been whittled down to only the black 397GA CO2 rifle. Then, sadly, by the end of 2002, that model had been discontinued as well.

The rifles shown above all have the earlier soldered-in valve setup. The cartridge valve didn't appear until mid-1995. Guns with the newer valve have an "A" stamped after the model number. For example F9A, 397GA, 392PA etc.

May I point out also that the earlier guns have the longer breech, not the other way around. However, the receivers were extended when they switched to the new trigger packs in June of 1997.
I have an interesting 397GA in black. Beautiful stock and with gold coloring inlaid into the barrel stamps. No idea if this was done at the factory or maybe added by an owner. Besides that the gun is mint. I’m only missing a black 392GA to complete my set.
I also have a nickel F and several black Fs.
IMG_1467.jpeg
IMG_1466.jpeg
IMG_7032.jpeg

That's a dandy collection, thanks for sharing more pics. I tend to agree with beerthief's post above in that the gold lettering was most likely done by a previous owner. From a collectors point of view, your 397GA is another very hard to find airgun as with all the "A" CO2 guns. Attached is a pic of my 397GA. Notice that it's the later variant with the trigger pack.
The 392GA is also on my list. LOL

I've been charting Benjamin/Sheridan serial numbers and characteristics for several years. Would you mind sharing the serial number of your 397GA and the two Sheridan Model F's with the non-walnut stocks for the database? So far, those F's have all been in the 4XXXXX-5XXXXX range.
Steven
397GA.JPG
397GA_2.JPG

That's a dandy collection, thanks for sharing more pics. I tend to agree with beerthief's post above in that the gold lettering was most likely done by a previous owner. From a collectors point of view, your 397GA is another very hard to find airgun as with all the "A" CO2 guns. Attached is a pic of my 397GA. Notice that it's the later variant with the trigger pack.
The 392GA is also on my list. LOL

I've been charting Benjamin/Sheridan serial numbers and characteristics for several years. Would you mind sharing the serial number of your 397GA and the two Sheridan Model F's with the non-walnut stocks for the database? So far, those F's have all been in the 4XXXXX-5XXXXX range.
Steven
View attachment 428156View attachment 428157
Good eye on the non-walnut stock. Silver is 422838, I’ll have to check the BS.
IMG_7067.jpeg
IMG_7073.jpeg

Thankyou , and as an addition in the PB Show world it has become fashionable to fill in with gold color on older guns . Some people fall for it and pay more .
I honestly didn’t pay much for it, though the gold is kinda fun to look at. I was mostly focused on finding the nickel examples since they are crazy hard to find, even harder un-damaged.
I collect all the nickel pistols as well, but I’ll do its own post on those.
These transition years are very complex in differences and lots of oddities. Reminds me of coin collecting, same years, different plants, way different production numbers, crazy serial number logic.

Reactions: beerthief