Shooting Crosseyed

Have any of you heard the old technique of shooting cross eyed?

My father was a crack shot. He was unbelievable with a rifle. His father was a rifleman and taught him to shoot when he was very small. He was raised during the depression in rural west Texas hunting for what he ate. He was a rifleman in the Korean war and then a “sniper” in the early days of Viet Nam. He was well trained. He hunted every big game animal in the west and a bunch in SE Asia. He guided hunts in Wyoming for years. When he spoke about shooting I listened.

He said that whenever he shot offhand he shot cross eyed. He was trained to do that with iron sights in the military. He would focus on the front bead with both eyes open until his eyes crossed and then “time slowed down”. His movements seemed slower and he could easily time the trigger with his wobble. “It’s as easy as shooting basketballs when your eyes are crossed”.

He said he did the same thing in a scope. But he focused on the target so hard that time slowed. His crosshairs floating in the foreground were more controllable and his trigger timing was better.

I mastered the scope technique pretty quickly. At least to some extent. I wasn’t crosseyed. But in the scope its easy to get an altered state going. An intense target focus will improve trigger timing for sure. I didn’t realize how effective it was until I applied it to iron sights.

Over the years I have shot very little with iron sights. Mainly pistol. And I never really tried focusing that hard on the bead. But when I couldn’t keep a scope on a cheap air rifle I decided to experiment with iron sights. Of course I thought of my father. And immediately wanted to learn how to “shoot cross eyed”.

After some practice and research I can tell you that there IS something to it. There is a point where depth drops away, the entire world is a blur and the only thing in your consciousness is the front post and a blur of the target beyond. Time slows down. As you come across your target in your wobble you have lots of time to initiate the shot.

It really is like basketball. You look for an opening, time your jump and fling the ball. It is MUCH easier to hit your target especially when a lot of movement is involved. I’m convinced this is how some guys hit targets thrown in the air with a rifle.

My observation is that when all your external input is focused on the bead your brain has more time to process movements. It isn’t busy with depth, surroundings, things like that. It processes input faster because it has less to do. Things seem “slower”. You are simply focusing all your brain power on the task at hand by limiting visual input.

We all know how poorly we shoot when we have internal and external input bombarding us. It makes sense if you get rid of ALL input by “crossing your eyes” and intensely focusing its going to help. Especially with chaos around you.

My father didn’t rationalize it much. He just listened to his training and practiced it. And tried to teach it to me. I’m just beginning to understand those lessons.

I understand some guys teach this in combat pistol training. You practice until you come on target “cross eyed” and focusing on the bead. Your target is blurry in the background.

It’s just eye exercises mainly. You could learn it sitting in front of the television and never fire a shot. I believe it would vastly improve accuracy with a revolver.

I still can’t do it “at will”. I struggle to get that focus point sometimes. Sometimes I can’t maintain it through the shot. I’m getting better at it though. If I was 16 again I could probably master it in an hour.

If I do it too much my eyes are hard to get back in focus. My eyeballs are old and lop sided. They probably have all the tread worn off the back from rubbing against my head. I don’t want to push it too hard or I might have a flat.

When things are just right I can shoot more accurately than I could ever imagine. I am absolutely stunned and amazed how effective this technique is.

I’m sure others employ this or some other similar techniques in their routine. Does anyone out there have a shortcut to a zen like state that allows them to time a shot better?

Last edited:

My father was a crack shot. He was unbelievable with a rifle. His father was a rifleman and taught him to shoot when he was very small. He was raised during the depression in rural west Texas hunting for what he ate. He was a rifleman in the Korean war and then a “sniper” in the early days of Viet Nam. He was well trained. He hunted every big game animal in the west and a bunch in SE Asia. He guided hunts in Wyoming for years. When he spoke about shooting I listened.

He said that whenever he shot offhand he shot cross eyed. He was trained to do that with iron sights in the military. He would focus on the front bead with both eyes open until his eyes crossed and then “time slowed down”. His movements seemed slower and he could easily time the trigger with his wobble. “It’s as easy as shooting basketballs when your eyes are crossed”.

He said he did the same thing in a scope. But he focused on the target so hard that time slowed. His crosshairs floating in the foreground were more controllable and his trigger timing was better.

I mastered the scope technique pretty quickly. At least to some extent. I wasn’t crosseyed. But in the scope its easy to get an altered state going. An intense target focus will improve trigger timing for sure. I didn’t realize how effective it was until I applied it to iron sights.

Over the years I have shot very little with iron sights. Mainly pistol. And I never really tried focusing that hard on the bead. But when I couldn’t keep a scope on a cheap air rifle I decided to experiment with iron sights. Of course I thought of my father. And immediately wanted to learn how to “shoot cross eyed”.

After some practice and research I can tell you that there IS something to it. There is a point where depth drops away, the entire world is a blur and the only thing in your consciousness is the front post and a blur of the target beyond. Time slows down. As you come across your target in your wobble you have lots of time to initiate the shot.

It really is like basketball. You look for an opening, time your jump and fling the ball. It is MUCH easier to hit your target especially when a lot of movement is involved. I’m convinced this is how some guys hit targets thrown in the air with a rifle.

My observation is that when all your external input is focused on the bead your brain has more time to process movements. It isn’t busy with depth, surroundings, things like that. It processes input faster because it has less to do. Things seem “slower”. You are simply focusing all your brain power on the task at hand by limiting visual input.

We all know how poorly we shoot when we have internal and external input bombarding us. It makes sense if you get rid of ALL input by “crossing your eyes” and intensely focusing its going to help. Especially with chaos around you.

My father didn’t rationalize it much. He just listened to his training and practiced it. And tried to teach it to me. I’m just beginning to understand those lessons.

I understand some guys teach this in combat pistol training. You practice until you come on target “cross eyed” and focusing on the bead. Your target is blurry in the background.

It’s just eye exercises mainly. You could learn it sitting in front of the television and never fire a shot. I believe it would vastly improve accuracy with a revolver.

I still can’t do it “at will”. I struggle to get that focus point sometimes. Sometimes I can’t maintain it through the shot. I’m getting better at it though. If I was 16 again I could probably master it in an hour.

If I do it too much my eyes are hard to get back in focus. My eyeballs are old and lop sided. They probably have all the tread worn off the back from rubbing against my head. I don’t want to push it too hard or I might have a flat.

When things are just right I can shoot more accurately than I could ever imagine. I am absolutely stunned and amazed how effective this technique is.

I’m sure others employ this or some other similar techniques in their routine. Does anyone out there have a shortcut to a zen like state that allows them to time a shot better?
Very interesting thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I shot an M14 in 1964 for requalification on the old A range. This was a common rack gun nothing special, The target was a 20 in dia and at 500 yards the front sight b[ade looked bigger than the target.Tied the Marine Corp record at the time of 248 out of 250.
I am right eye dominate and just paid close attention to the wind flags. Lake City ammo.

I can not imagine shooting crossed eyed but I know there are various methods used by good marksman when it comes to eyes..
The range officer took this pic. I do not have a negative just the picture.

Last edited:
crossed eyed ,well both eyes are opened ,your brain does the work,maybe crossed wired because left is right.Uh I used to do instinctive shooting,it was called that because you practice so much you got a feel when to pull the trigger.Bet Auntie Oakley used it.Yes the front sight,then no sights,Wily Coyote comes to mind. Good Story .Actually I think cross-eyed is just a form of instance consideration ,there is no actual crossing the eyes,you brain would have to refocus ;I know "The Zone" I am gong check it out now

crossed eyed ,well both eyes are opened ,your brain does the work,maybe crossed wired because left is right.Uh I used to do instinctive shooting,it was called that because you practice so much you got a feel when to pull the trigger.Bet Auntie Oakley used it.Yes the front sight,then no sights,Wily Coyote comes to mind. Good Story .Actually I think cross-eyed is just a form of instance consideration ,there is no actual crossing the eyes,you brain would have to refocus ;I know "The Zone" I am gong check it out now

My eyes DO cross. They are both focused on the front sight. So the target "doubles". But my dominant eye knows which target to consider. The other just disappears and you just see the target over the bead with your dominant eye.

With practice it happens almost instantly when you look down the barrel. Everything blurs and disappears as you mount the gun. All there is is the front bead with the out of focus target floating behind it.

It's not like natural shooting. You wind up with the same outcome though. It's just a different way of looking over the sight that blocks out all other vision and focuses your entire mind.

I would describe it as voodoo magic but I'm pretty sure it is just a perception shift. I think everyone harnesses it to some extent without being aware of it.

If you focus on the bead with both eyes hard enough you will slip into it naturally. Your first reaction is to stop it and focus on the target so you see it better. But if you work with it you'll find it allows you to time the shot with incredible precision. You will still miss sometimes but your misses are MUCH closer and your hits MUCH more often.

It runs against what we think is a clear sight picture. So it's easy to resist. The target is just a blur and you are shooting center mass. It sounds flaky as hell but it works great.

Reactions: rcarlisle

ok i am game i will try it . I used to be very good at freehand pistol , now @ 79 not so much .

I am pretty sure that I understand what you are saying, I just never heard it called that. It is just what happens, pretty much, when you finally become comfortable shooting with both eyes open. Many people never become comfortable shooting with both eyes open, even people that shoot a lot. I laughed when I saw the guy from Turkey shooting, finally a guy that can shoot without training aids, was the first thing I thought.

croseye.png

I am pretty sure that I understand what you are saying, I just never heard it called that. It is just what happens, pretty much, when you finally become comfortable shooting with both eyes open. Many people never become comfortable shooting with both eyes open, even people that shoot a lot. I laughed when I saw the guy from Turkey shooting, finally a guy that can shoot without training aids, was the first thing I thought.

Yes. I think you are correct. With both eyes open your brain has to cancel a lot of input. With both conciously focusing on the bead much more.

Rather than let your "lazy eye" just coast along as you sight you try to focus it on the front bead too. It multiplies the effect.

The Turkish cat with both eyes open prompted me to write this post. No doubt he has learned to use his "lazy eye" to his advantage or he would cover it.

When I try to discuss this with other shooters I usually get "the look". That is until I pick up a rifle and start knocking shotgun shells around at 50 yards. Then they get butthurt and block out conversation completely.

I think it is something really great and needs to be discussed. And I'm certain a lot of good shooters employ this or some other method to focus their brain.

Hitting an aspirin tossed in the air with a rimfire seems impossible. But some guys can do it every shot. They come on target instantly and deal with extreme movement. They are using some technique that others are unaware of. When you ask them how they do it they will all tell you "I focus on the front bead keeping both eyes open".

If you sat them down over a beer and got them to talk about it at length they would probably describe exactly what my father tried to drive into my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: PumaCarl
I can see where when fully focused on any object with both eyes, it is possible to "see a double vision". However, I'm not certain that the eyes actually cross (?).
The master eye takes over when the double vision occurs however, so perhaps that is what's happening in your description?
Interesting none the less.

mike

I can see where when fully focused on any object with both eyes, it is possible to "see a double vision". However, I'm not certain that the eyes actually cross (?).
The master eye takes over when the double vision occurs however, so perhaps that is what's happening in your description?
Interesting none the less.

mike

Exactly. Your eyes cross. The target "doubles". But the dominant eye sees the right image. The other "double" image just swims away in the background.

Your eyes are crossed. If you loose your dominant eye focus the "double" comes back. You just relax into a cross eyed vision and let the dominant eye take over.

Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes I can't do it. Every afternoon I practice and can do it better. When I can't get that focus I just shoot looking at the dot with my dominant eye both eyes open. But when I can get things right it's nothing less than voodoo magic. Angels sing. The shots go exactly where you put them.

It's fully crosseyed. Not just letting the weak eye float. Both eyes intently focused on the bead letting everything beyond go double. Then everything but the target and the post is swimming. Time stops and you come across the target in slow motion.

That's the best I can describe it and it might be different to the perceiver. But there is a "magic spot" in your vision that allows it to happen.

Try it! All the cool kids are doing it!

I shot an M14 in 1964 for requalification on the old A range. This was a common rack gun nothing special, The target was a 20 in dia and at 500 yards the front sight b[ade looked bigger than the target.Tied the Marine Corp record at the time of 248 out of 250.
I am right eye dominate and just paid close attention to the wind flags. Lake City ammo.

I can not imagine shooting crossed eyed but I know there are various methods used by good marksman when it comes to eyes..
The range officer took this pic. I do not have a negative just the picture.
Looks like your one of those Hollywood Marines, you know the real ones are made on Parris Island. :ROFLMAO:

Front site focus, on the M16 when I qualified. 500 yard the front side did cover the target.

Semper Fi,

Smitty

Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
I tried shooting with both eyes open for a couple of years with both scope and iron sights with both rifle and pistol.
I was able to do it but was always more comfortable shooting with one eye closed. With both eyes open I always felt like I was straining to hard so I've gone back to using one eye.

This is opening a third eye.

Whatever you are used to doing is best. I fall back on my regular sight picture for most shots. But I know there is a door out there I haven't learned to fully open.

Reactions: Moog
Yes. I think you are correct. With both eyes open your brain has to cancel a lot of input. With both conciously focusing on the bead much more.

Rather than let your "lazy eye" just coast along as you sight you try to focus it on the front bead too. It multiplies the effect.

The Turkish cat with both eyes open prompted me to write this post. No doubt he has learned to use his "lazy eye" to his advantage or he would cover it.

When I try to discuss this with other shooters I usually get "the look". That is until I pick up a rifle and start knocking shotgun shells around at 50 yards. Then they get butthurt and block out conversation completely.

I think it is something really great and needs to be discussed. And I'm certain a lot of good shooters employ this or some other method to focus their brain.

Hitting an aspirin tossed in the air with a rimfire seems impossible. But some guys can do it every shot. They come on target instantly and deal with extreme movement. They are using some technique that others are unaware of. When you ask them how they do it they will all tell you "I focus on the front bead keeping both eyes open".

If you sat them down over a beer and got them to talk about it at length they would probably describe exactly what my father tried to drive into my head.
You made me laugh on an old memory. Shooting aspirin is actually very easy if the thrower is consistent and throws it up vertically. You follow the aspirin on the up and that moment it stops and hangs is when you are shooting it. We did that with pump up crosmans with iron sights when we were little kids. We were never supervised as kids because we all were shooting shortly after walking. By the time we were 9, at least one of us, we would be outside all day with the bbguns. We shot a lot of small coins too. Those were the days, but we didn't know it then.

You made me laugh on an old memory. Shooting aspirin is actually very easy if the thrower is consistent and throws it up vertically. You follow the aspirin on the up and that moment it stops and hangs is when you are shooting it. We did that with pump up crosmans with iron sights when we were little kids. We were never supervised as kids because we all were shooting shortly after walking. By the time we were 9, at least one of us, we would be outside all day with the bbguns. We shot a lot of small coins too. Those were the days, but we didn't know it then.

It's only "easy" with lots of practice. And a big part of the lesson is coming on target and following with the eye and the rifle.

The easy part is shooting when the asprin stalls at the apogee. The hard part is getting on target and timing the shot in that tiny window of opportunity. That only comes with thousands of misses.

I bet you had both eyes open and a focus on the bead. That aspirin was floating up there in a blur when your front post came across it. I bet if you were a little ahead or behind that curve your mind adjusted unconsciously.

My dad had a buddy that liked to drink tequila. He was a rough old Wyoming cowboy. He always had a half dozen of those old glass miniature one shot bottles in his pocket. He could drink one, toss it up and hit it with a rifle or pistol. He could do that 3-4 times before he missed. Then he'd sit down and drink the rest.

He picked up my old Win 94 30-30 one day and shot clay birds. If he missed one the first shot he could get it on the follow up. You could throw 2 and he could hit them both. Way out there as they were falling. He could even get a third shot off if he missed one. He was just LIGHTNING with getting a sight picture and making a shot.

His only advice was to keep both eyes open and stare at the bead as you track the bottle. "Do it until you can hit it. Just figure it out."

I tossed a lot of lead into the sky. Once in a while I'd connect. I guess I just wasn't staring at that bead hard enough. Once I can get my eyes to cross I'm going to take another crack at it.

Last edited:
We were kids. In the summer we had all day, good reflexes, great vision and never tired. It really wasn't that hard back then and we were only shooting them about 10 to 15 feet straight up. Still fun. We would also do really crazy stuff with bows and arrows that I think discussing openly is a very bad idea. Lawn darts were a very safe activity, comparably. Lucky to be alive.