• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shots on Feral Pigeons

I've watched a lot of videos of others shooting feral pigeons. Most seem to try the headshots. Why? In a headshot I see the pigeon flap and struggle, although they are probably already dead. Then I see a shot taken from head on right in the middle of the upper chest area and the birds don't flap a wing. They just fall flat on their backs and don't move. There is no attempt to arrest a fall. It's like somebody taught them how to immediately play dead. So...if that chest shot is apparently more lethal why is there so much attention given to making the perfect headshot?? The headshot, although unargueably lethal and probably requires more skill, doesn't seem the 'best' humane shot one can take. So then, why does that appear the preferred shot in many videos? Some of the pesting videos even advertise 'headshots' in their titles. Just wondering!!

My experience is that the upper center of the chest shot causes the same effect no matter the flying species targeted.

I think when a bird falls down, or lights out as some have said, the pellet or slug hits the spinal cord. When the heart or lung is hit, the bird will fly off but will fall dead. When a brain is hit, I've noticed a pigeon will always flap around but I've notice this doesn't happen with rabbits. Sometimes a brain shot on a rabbit will either drop them dead or they will flop around. With shooting pigeons, I usually aim where the neck connects to the body.

Head shot is instant death. They flap around means nothing. Dumb people who never shot at any animals, usually animals lovers, will complain aww you animal abuse, animal cruelty. But it's the most humane way to take out an animal. Body shot can kill them but not always. Sometime you hit them in the chest they can fly off and die somewhere else..head shot, they will always fall.

I am in total agreement that the headshsot is deadly and it's just nerves still firing. I've watched the rats, squirrels, rabbits, etc and know of the nerves still firing. I have done that middle of the chest shot on crows way the heck up a tree and they just fall backwards and nothing moves all the way to the ground. Not even a hint of a follow up shot needed.Have seen the same thing happen with Starlings and Collared Doves. Just like the headshot, if you miss, or not get precisely the right place on the 'crop' shot the bird will not die instantly and will fly off but eventually crash into the ground and not move. Not advocating anything for anyone. I am just going to try with that crop shot myself.

With the limit in UK (unless unless you are on FAC) being up to 12 ft lb anything other than brain shots on squirrels etc. is useless. I use heart and lung shots on corvids etc. but only head (brain) shots on squirrels.

A squirrel on a feeder stands stock still when eating wheat,. peanuts etc. so brain shots are the norm. When its too windy or wet to use my .22 FX air rifles I sometimes use a .410 shotgun, and they still come back even though the shotgun is a bit louder.