Side focus is really hard to turn.

Anyone have issues with their side focus being really hard to turn? I mean like really really hard to turn to the point that your finger hurts just by gripping it and turning it. I have a center point with side focus is really hard to turn. I work it back and forth and it got a tiny easier but still hard. Then I purchased a new scope westhunter compact scope 3x12 44ao. This one is twice as hard as the Centerpoint. I grip it as hard as I can and force it to turn, it wouldn't even budge. My fingers hurt to the point i couldnt do it anymore. I have to get a cloth and grip it and turn so it wouldnt hurt. It barely turns. I work it back and forth and it is now a little easier to turn by hand. But still have to grip it and turn really hard just for it to move. Shouldn't the side focus be easier rotate? Why is it so hard? Is there ways to make it easier to turn.

I guess I wasn't the only one having this problem. Not sure why companies can't make the side focus easier to rotate. I could buy a large wheel for it would then it would be in the way of my side shot cam mount. The bar for the side shot mount runs just underneath the side focus nob. So it's either run a larger side wheel or use the sideshot cam. Can't run both at the same time. Smh

20241003_161416.jpg

20241003_161435.jpg

Here's the lever type if a wheels too much . Maybe homemade zip tie model could suffice 😉

(For a example)

Reactions: BABz58
I cured one by removing the cover cap and the screw in the center of the turret, and cleaning out the factory grease and replacing with lighter grease. Some scopes have extremely heavy grease in them.
I read someone said the cap/knob for the focus can be taken off and clean of the thick lube they use. But I don't see a way to remove it. How do you remove it? Any video showing how to remove the cap/knob? I see no set screws or anything holding it in place.

Ok update. I was able to tear into the focus knob and remove the stock grease. I applied pure silicone grease and now it's much smoother to rotate. Now my fingers doesn't hurt when I rotate it. Easy to get into once I figure how. Difficult part was trying not to break the wires for the illuminate and putting it back.

20241003_175412.jpg

Ok update. I was able to tear into the focus knob and remove the stock grease. I applied pure silicone grease and now it's much smoother to rotate. Now my fingers doesn't hurt when I rotate it. Easy to get into once I figure how. Difficult part was trying not to break the wires for the illuminate and putting it back.

View attachment 501604
And how did you get it apart? First step?

And how did you get it apart? First step?
Idk about your scope. But on mine I have to remove the cover for the battery for the illuminate. Then if you look closely you can see what looks like 2 notches. You need a tool with 2 points. They go inside the notches and you turn counter clockwise to loosen it. Once it comes loose the circuit board for the illuminate will fall out. Inside mine there is 6 small screws, you take those out and the adjustment knobs for the illuminate and focus will come off.

20241004_190433.jpg

20241004_190525.jpg

20241004_190542.jpg

• Love
Idk about your scope. But on mine I have to remove the cover for the battery for the illuminate. Then if you look closely you can see what looks like 2 notches. You need a tool with 2 points. They go inside the notches and you turn counter clockwise to loosen it. Once it comes loose the circuit board for the illuminate will fall out. Inside mine there is 6 small screws, you take those out and the adjustment knobs for the illuminate and focus will come off.

View attachment 501801

View attachment 501802

View attachment 501803
Thank you very much. Quite helpful. 😎