Western Airguns Sidewinder - Easy hack for better efficiency and lower noise

weevil

Dec 19, 2022
Utah
Sidewinder (+Rattler?) fans,

As you may know, the SW barrel can be moved closer to the magazine, reducing air loss and noise from the semi-auto action. However, when it is too close, the magazine stops advancing and you can get a blast of air on the cheek. Having taken mine to that point, I can tell you that it is an unpleasant experience, likely even painful with one of the high power Rattlers. However, instead of backing off the barrel at that point, I decided to polish the (forward) face of the magazine, using a 4000, 6000, then 8000 grit abrasive paper, swirling the mag in both directions on the paper on a flat surface, to mirror finish:

IMG_0856.jpeg

Then a light coat of WD on the forward-facing surface of said mag with a tissue. 8 jam free mags so far with a reduction in sound of 4dB, measured right next to me, and 28 shots over my typical fill range, relative to 24. Also had to dial the power down one click to get the same 850fps from my SW mini .30, to make sure the test was like for like, in terms of power. This is compared to how it was delivered to me from WA. No negative effect on accuracy. Obviously, yours could be set better (or worse). Still, it’s a very easy optimization. If it jams again, I will try another WD wipe. For all I know, this could simply be a result of the lube.

If you do like I did, finding the point where it jams, I recommend doing that without having your face near the action (firing pellets safely into a trap, of course). Unfortunately, the point of no cycling is different with an empty mag (more forgiving), otherwise I would suggest just dry firing under a blanket.

Anyway, I call this a win win win. Noise, power and efficiency. I imagine it would be applicable to the Rattler too.

Thanks for that Weevil. I'll have to give it a try. I am curious about two things though . . .

First, did you try it on multiple mags, and were the results the same? When I adjusted my .22 SW, I made sure it dod not jam with either of my two mags, but I was not trying to optimise things as much as you did by tweaking the mags.

Also, I wonder if polishing the end of the barrel might yield further improvements . . .

Thanks again. I'll have to give this a try at some point, but it will be at least a few weeks before I can do so.

Reactions: weevil
Thanks for that Weevil. I'll have to give it a try. I am curious about two things though . . .

First, did you try it on multiple mags, and were the results the same? When I adjusted my .22 SW, I made sure it dod not jam with either of my two mags, but I was not trying to optimise things as much as you did by tweaking the mags.

Also, I wonder if polishing the end of the barrel might yield further improvements . . .

Thanks again. I'll have to give this a try at some point, but it will be at least a few weeks before I can do so.
Hi Alan,

Good question. I only have one mag and having more would likely lead to a less optimized gap. I also haven’t worked on the barrel because it’s not as easy for me to make sure that it remains square. There’s probably more to be gained at the other side of the mag and I was looking at it and wondering if that gap is adjustable, or if it could be modified to use a puck, like the Leshiy 2. Perhaps even opening up the holes on the magazine faceplate so that the air is hitting more of the pellet rather than a metal wall. As you know the Huben is much quieter and it lacks that backplate. Hmmm….